And one of the fastest growing brands is...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Quote:
For those that do not know, Mitsu is Japan’s version of General Electric. They make everything.

Luckily for people here in the USA no vehicles are made by GE.

Yes, but unluckily there are some terrible consumer products. They can make a nuclear reactor, but not a reliable dishwasher.
wink.gif

There's pretty much nowhere to go but UP in sales...

The single most problem free vehicle I've owned was a Japanese-built '97 Mitsu Mirage that I did almost nothing to over the course of 160K miles or so. I didn't replace the brake pads until about 90K miles and the original battery was good for over five years.

An old friend had a new '99 Galant from the Normal IL plant that had more than half the car replaced by about 60K miles. He said he paid half as much in repairs/replacements as the car cost in the 10 years he owned it. It was a great selling point to show the buyer the half inch thick service record receipts to show that everything that could fail did and was replaced.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Perhaps they sell great in non US places?

Yep, always up and down, but figures late last year had them in 3rd place for vehicle sales in New Zealand.

Originally Posted By: csandste
These are old, old cars.

You say that like its a BAD thing?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Quote:
For those that do not know, Mitsu is Japan’s version of General Electric. They make everything.

Luckily for people here in the USA no vehicles are made by GE.

Yes, but unluckily there are some terrible consumer products. They can make a nuclear reactor, but not a reliable dishwasher.
wink.gif

Mitsubishi is into nuclear reactors, aviation, HVAC, ships, and a huge list of things. In reality, their automobile division is just a fraction of the total keiretsu.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsubishi_Corporation

Old ? I'd much rather buy the last of a well proven model than the first of an all new model, be it car or washing machine. Everyone loves to rubbish Mitsubishi, but them everyone praises the Evo...can't have it both ways. And the Evo was just that, an evolution, one model progessing better and better. No more Evo, but the ASX, Outlander and now the Eclipse are all based on the Evo platform...it works. Not a fan of the Eclipse, it just looks like any other modern SUV, and they are everywhere and boring.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
Mitsubishi can sell their old old cars for cheap cheap cheap, and they do.

Yep, Mitsus can be bought quite cheaply ATM.
Same for VWs, leftover '17 Fusions and Dodge Journeys.
There are some good new car buys out there for those willing to venture off the Honda/Toyota reservation.
For the money, these need not be perfect cars capable of infinite miles with no major work.
You can get a lot of car for your money if you shop the less popular brands and models.
There are no really bad current cars. Almost anything you'd buy these days is more durable and reliable than the best cars of the sainted eighties.
After all, they all use the same parts from the same suppliers.

A friend is on his 3rd Outlander (the 3rd was an Outlander Sport). CVT OK, good mpg.
They like younger mileage cars.
SOLD #1, a 2011, to a friend @ 60K in 2013. Wife had tapped a neighbor's fender and decided they did n't like the car.
BOUGHT a demo 2013 and racked up miles visiting grandkids.
TRADED it in for a 2016. The logic was that the 2013 had 59K and it wouldn't trade in for much.

I don't think they have the car thing down.

During all this and more I drove one Volvo V70 on which I put 198K.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Mitsu made a good airplane in WW2,,was the Zero....

They are still in the aviation business. They are a major supplier to Boeing for the Dreamliner series which is enjoying great success. They are also producing their own regional business/commercial jet the MRJ. Aviation is growing in many ways and ties in with aerospace of which Mitsu also participates in.

I think there SUV sales doubled for month of Jan.

One car maker that has grown massively is Subaru tripling their sales in 10 years. They also plan on Pilot / Highlander size SUV soon to fill the loss of consumers who need 7-8 passenger vehicles.

Originally Posted By: Marco620
Mitsubishi...its the bottom of the barrel in Japan. Like GM here about. I remember DSM having Hyundai building their engines because they could never get it together. Only time I ever wanted a Mitsubishi was when Fast and Furious first came out. Drove an Acura Integra and never thought twice about anything but the big A or H.

GM sold 3,002,237 vehicles last year in the USA, They sold 198,548 last month.

Honda Of America sold 1,486,827 vehicles last year, They sold 95,634 last month.

About 5 miles from our house there used to be a small Saturn dealer. When Saturn went belly up a Mitsubishi dealer moved in. There's a large parking lot about a half mile from my house and this past summer they started to store about 200 at a time of these Mitsubishi SUV's. I drive by there on a regular basis and there really hasn't been much for activity there. The same dealership is also leasing show room space at a local mall. They must be selling cars with 2 showrooms and a large off site storage area or this is a last ditch effort to survive.

Same here. No Mitsu dealer in county of 400,000. Then moved into Saturn dealership, then flipped with Suburu who got the larger building. Now small Mitsu dealership is heavy into used cars. No offsite parking that I've found, and no mall sales.

All in the same dealership family who threw Mitsubishi out for Saturn in the early nineties.

Last edited:
I will say that the new Eclipse cross pictures do look nice. Lots of complaints about having an Aztek back end but I think that's a bad rap. Of course maybe in person...

And some of those new cuv concepts look interesting, whether or not they'll ever see the light of day..

Last edited:
I have never had a good Mitsubishi, ever.
Never have any of my family members had a good one, either.

They are simply garbage compared to a Honda or Toyota.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL

OK, then let's talk Global sales:

http://www.automotive-fleet.com/channel/...re-down-15.aspx

Quote:
Mitsubishi Motors Corporation (MMC) global sales volume during the cumulative three quarters in FY16 declined to 673,000 units, according to the company's third quarter financial statement. This is 15% lower than the same period of last year, but relatively in line with the revised plan released in October 2016.

Ford F-series sales, US market-only, for 2017 were 896,764 in comparison.

Does anyone else buy the Ford F-series?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back