Amsoil SS 5w30 new formulation VOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: buster
I’m not trying to drum up an argument here but this is another example of Amsoil following what Mobil and Castrol have had out for about 5 years now. Different base oil composition but you can see how Amsoil operates.

Bovine Separation. Your constant "Amsoil is behind" theme lacks some key points. Primarily - Amsoil top oils are for extended drains. They don't have to follow anyone, but they are pretty aware of what others are doing - their additive packs have always been for extended drains. Funny how when other oil companies started following Amsoil with longer drains, you didn't point out Amsoil leading the pack.

Originally Posted By: benjy
Amsoil no longer says WHAT base oils they are using + NO longer touts PAO!!! they only say its formulated to meet the spec aka were using mostly cheaper Group III like most everyone else + adding PAO + or Ester as needed!!!

Yes and the proof is??

They touted PAO only for less than a year around 2003. Your name calling is idiotic.

Re-tested for TBN. Came out slightly higher although still not as high as Amsoil advertises...

OP, thanks for doing this.

It looks like Amsoil is using an additive system that is relatively similar to what ExxonMobil has been doing for the last 2-3 years with their AFE and EP oils.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
OP, thanks for doing this.

It looks like Amsoil is using an additive system that is relatively similar to what ExxonMobil has been doing for the last 2-3 years with their AFE and EP oils.

This. I commented in the 0w-20 UOA post that the new formulation looks like a similar recipe EM used in the Mobil 1 reformulation. Has Signature Series always come in at under 800ppm for zinc/phosphorus? And with the huge reduction in calcium, how clean will these be in 15k-25k drain intervals? Not trying to start an argument... I’m genuinely curious.

I think will really depend on application, how hard the engine is on the oil, fuel dilution presence etc. I don't think I saw a single report with 25K anyway

Honestly, while I wish the ZDDP was unchanged from their old formulation (Zinc around 800ish ppm and Phosphorus around 700 ppm), this does look like an overall upgrade. I really like the added Moly and Boron. The Magnesium content is also comparable T6, which IMO is a good thing. Overall, I think this looks quite impressive.

Thanks for the VOAs Parshisa!

Folks, just wanted to let you all know: did get a reply from Amsoil/Oil analyzers on why the TBN is sow low. Apparently there are two different methods oil is being tested for TBN: ASTM D2896 for new oils, ASTM D4739 for used oils. Polaris/oil analyzers lab uses only second one which can give lower TBN value due to the method specifics. Long story short - the number in the report is not something we need to look at and judge. Sorry for the initial confusion and hopefully it will help to regain trust in Amsoil lol

No confusion. That's been discussed in other threads before. It's still wise to get a proper VOA from the same lab where the UOAs will be conducted with a given oil, to give a baseline for just these things. And, I always appreciate a VOA, so thanks for that!

Last edited:
Finally settled on the oil for my civic - got a case of 5w30 SS this afternoon. Around 32$ per oil change - not bad at all. Should last me a good couple of years

Wow , new Formulation of 5w 30 Castrol Edge show a TBN of 10.1 .D1-Gen2 so after a 7500 mile run will see where it stand in comparison .

Originally Posted by parshisa
Folks, just wanted to let you all know: did get a reply from Amsoil/Oil analyzers on why the TBN is sow low. Apparently there are two different methods oil is being tested for TBN: ASTM D2896 for new oils, ASTM D4739 for used oils. Polaris/oil analyzers lab uses only second one which can give lower TBN value due to the method specifics. Long story short - the number in the report is not something we need to look at and judge. Sorry for the initial confusion and hopefully it will help to regain trust in Amsoil lol

True, most labs use ASTM 4739 because the acid is safer to handle, and safer to dispose of. Downside it does not test the full alkaline reserves of the formulation. Could vary 1-2 points. They handle thousands per day, whereas the manufacturers use ASTM D2896 because they require accuracy and volume is much is much lower.

Hello All, I just want to confirm from the OP. So Amsoil SS has change it additive package,and how recent ago was this,and how do you know for sure they did this?
I ask because I want to have conversation with friends,and I want to make sure I'm relaying factual information,and not simply here say.

Thank you in advance!
David

Originally Posted by lawnguy
Hello All, I just want to confirm from the OP. So Amsoil SS has change it additive package,and how recent ago was this,and how do you know for sure they did this?
I ask because I want to have conversation with friends,and I want to make sure I'm relaying factual information,and not simply here say.

Thank you in advance!
David

It is their latest formulation indeed

Originally Posted by parshisa
Re-tested for TBN. Came out slightly higher although still not as high as Amsoil advertises...

They are probably using the test method for USED oil samples even though this is obviously a new sample. TestOil does the same thing, said something about there is a difference in the methods and they are not capable and/or certified for the different ASTM method. From best guesses here, the exact oil tested with the "new oil" method will result in about a 1.5-2 higher reading than the new oil tested using the "used oil" method. So at best, it's somewhere around 11.0-11.2, but also as said Mg seems to result in better/longer TBN retention. The proof is in the UOA pudding- will the oil's viscosity and TBN survive your engine and your usage patterns during your next OCI? I'm betting it will, just like every other current big-brand oil. Use with confidence!

Edit: Talent_Keyhole nailed what I was talking about...

Last edited:
I know the amsoil fans are going to hate me for saying this, but the voa on the redline 5w30 looks much better in terms of the additive package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back