Amsoil SS 0w20, Honda Civic 1.5T 2017, 5,130mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think a 4,000 oci would be better. Look how low your viscosity has dropped. Disappointed in the Honda DI engines. Relatively,rough and noisey. Great mpg and power but just not ready for prime time with injector and low tension piston ring issues. 02.

just checked my level at 2500 into this OCI.. Had been om vacation with other car but this is all warm weather since 7/13..no trace of increase level a stark contrast to the heavy dilution during the cold months... you'd think Honda could reflash for that or up the thermostat temps...not complaining about performance but the fact that it's so obvious defies in grained logic and for some reason Honda wont acknowledge it so can only assume they don't have a likable answer which adds negative suspicion.

Based on my latest experience oil level stability doesn't guarantee fuel dilution not being present. Would be nice if you could run UOA at some point just to confirm my theory. Thanks

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Seems like 5K miles is the max I'd be happy with.

I want a non turbo Honda engine.

no you don't, you want the turbo.

Originally Posted By: parshisa
Based on my latest experience oil level stability doesn't guarantee fuel dilution not being present. Would be nice if you could run UOA at some point just to confirm my theory. Thanks
This ^^^^. The dipstick could read the same with gasoline replacing some of the oil.

Originally Posted By: dblshock
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Seems like 5K miles is the max I'd be happy with.

I want a non turbo Honda engine.

no you don't, you want the turbo.
No he's right. The N/A Honda engines never diluted as badly as the Honda DI engines.

100% exact same amount of oil used replaced with gasoline? brand new engine using oil? haven't used on the factory fill but started right after oil change? something doesn't add up here. Please consider a bit more thoughtful suggestions. Cheers

the cold weather dilution is all easily managed with an extra qt. of oil and a MightyVac right from the top side...it's the added volume that needs relief.

100% exact same amount of oil used replaced with gasoline? brand new engine using oil? haven't used on the factory fill but started right after oil change? something doesn't add up here. Please consider a bit more thoughtful suggestions. Cheers

First, how do you know it didn't use oil during the ff period? Could've used and diluted then as well. Four or five ounces of oil consumption during an OCI is hardly unusual for any engine, new or used.

Second, Honda dipsticks are among the worst, so getting a reading accurate within a few ounces is no easy task.

Agree this is all supposition, but you won't find a more accurate fuel dilution calculation than you'll get from Oil Analyzers. Either their method is wrong or it's hard to get a consistent crankcase level reading. Or maybe a little of both.

..should add that when the real cold hits these engines will increase sump volume 15%-25% based on the dipstick level alone yet still low UOA wear metals so >5% reading is only 20%-40% accurate, not even accurate enough to matter. In the past >5% was enough to flag...time to re-evaluate probably, these newer engine platforms and motor oils seem to have adapted, just wish we'd hear the builders logic, they weren't the last to know what's happening, likely the first.

all N/A Honda Engines are DI. Not sure what you mean
Sorry,I was referring to the Honda engines prior to the advent of DI. Those engines used less oil than the current DI engines.

I'm in TX so barely see anything below 40. I need one more UOA just to see some positive trend and I will care less about the dilution. I mean I'll monitor it of course and drain and re-fill as needed, but not go crazy as I did once I found out this issue is real

Originally Posted By: Danh

Honda has to know this issue exists but seems content to live with it. They have a huge reputational risk riding on this not being problem that compromises engine life in a big way, so let's hope they know what they're doing. There doesn't seem to be evidence of premature K24W deaths, but maybe it's too early to know for sure.

You mean like VCM? Where Honda knew all about their oil consumption problem but ruthlessly told many, many customers to go to hades. Then forced their ENTIRE dealer group to lie to every customer by telling them that a quart/1000 miles was normal consumption? [Note to self: my Accord has a 4.5qt sump. MM goes to 0% at 8500 miles....hmmmmm]. Where their deep-pockets legal staff mercilessly whittled the class action complaints down to four specific CEL codes on the VCM only after the original complaint included 4 cyl?

Honda Motor Company earned a well deserved reputation in the 60's, 70's and 80's for their superior four cylinder engine technology coming out of their motorcycle division. The Auto division has completely squandered it in my not so humble opinion. And let's not even bring up the dismal styling efforts in both Honda and Acura divisions.

Last edited:
Just had a call from Polaris lab. They will be re-running tests for fuel dilution on both samples for Civic and Pilot I had dropped off couple a weeks ago. Stay tuned

Originally Posted By: FZ1
all N/A Honda Engines are DI. Not sure what you mean
Sorry,I was referring to the Honda engines prior to the advent of DI. Those engines used less oil than the current DI engines.

Don't try and tell that to anyone with a second gen TSX, second gen MDX or 3rd gen TL. We have replaced hundreds of either pistons or short blocks due to oil consumption. Short blocks for MDX are currently on back order because Honda can not make them fast enough.

And it is not just the VCM engines. Everything of that generation that used 5W20 is an oil burner just waiting to happen.

Last edited:
FYI, I had a 2008.5 Mazdaspeed3 which had one of the first DI Turbo fours, designed ca. 2002 and putting out 116hp/L.

Not bad. But the oil would turn jet black after 1000 miles and 3000 mile UOAs would give 2.5% fuel dilution. You could smell it on the dipstick 3 feet away. Only solution? Synthetics only with OCIs of 3000 with spec' d 5W-30.

Notice Mazda has discontinued this engine and stolen Honda's mantle as the high performance, hot handling Japanese OEM.

Last edited:
Alright, folks, got some good stuff for y'all. Along with the sample oil from civic I had OA to test a sample from my 2016 Pilot. For some reason they didn't test the pilot for Fuel Dilution and put estimate only which was less than 1%. I emailed them asking why they haven't had it tested and week later they called me back. So I was talking to the guy and he said that they don't test for fuel dilution unless vis drops below the grade. So, on pilot i run 0w20 M1 and vis was 7.2 and I told the guy that there's no way oil just sheared in 3k that badly. He said alright, we're going to re-test both sample for fuel dilution (they keep oil for 30days). And here we go:

So question is: WHAT THE [censored]?????

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back