Amsoil SS 0w20, Honda Civic 1.5T 2017, 5,130mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure how did they come up with this number. Oil level has not moved a 0.1 of an inch on the dipstick. It doesn't make sense to me

Originally Posted By: parshisa
I'm not sure how did they come up with this number. Oil level has not moved a 0.1 of an inch on the dipstick. It doesn't make sense to me

The "GC" next to the dilution % means it was determined using gas chromatography. You can Google gas chromatography to find out specifics, but it seems to be the most accurate method available to the general public and is somewhat akin to spectral analysis.

Keep in mind that 5% dilution in your Civic equates to less than 1/4 quart. It isn't unreasonable to believe that amount of oil was consumed during your OCI meaning the volume of oil burned was replaced by fuel introduced into the sump.

I thought about it. But it's hard to believe that amount of fuel introduced and amount of oil burnt are EXACTLY the same. I was consistent with how I checked the level and it hasn't moved AT ALL. Plus I'm running catch and for sure I'd see it in the can of it was using oil. But I didn't. So go figure

check parked in the same spot after it sits overnite...if the sump becomes over full (as they do here in the cold) that's even worse than the dilution. Honda will someday have to reflash and tweek the oil spec but probably walking a narrow path with CAFE...meanwhile we're left to cope with it on our own, I've come to grips with that, I have a plan.

I've been checking it overnight parked at the same spot. Same I did with car driven for 40miles and then shut off in the same spot and waited for 3 minutes. Both ways level remained consistent for the whole 5K

I'm in Texas, no cold temps. It got close to the top of the orange plastic [censored] on the dipstick on factory fill, that was when I dumped it at 4700mi

k, try a 5/40 A3/B4 with all the good euro specs, these euro's aren't dumb or handcuffed with silly regulation...it's plain simple better motor oil.

so with the upgraded oil and over sized tires it does 42mpg insted of 44mpg, so what. I've iced a risky situation and enjoy the cool raspy grunt..and if Honda ever figures it out I could switch back to even a 0/16 if it proves worthy...meanwhile it's golden.

I hear ya. Well, I won't go as far as 40 but definitely will upgrade to 0w30 M1

this Civic runs and drives excellent, it's never been back to the dealer with a issue other than to file a claim on dilution..the dealer wants to do an OCI and monitor it for dilution...don't think I want to spend the time or have them put 0/20 oil in my engine. They know I run upgraded oil and gave me a mild admonishment then actually tried to blame the dilution on the upgraded oil, I'm ok with the service manager but at the time (2/17) he claimed mine to be the first he's seen dilute, the problem was even once he realizes this he has no solution so I decided to wait..I'll check back with him after the holidays if not too busy.

I hear ya. Well, I won't go as far as 40 but definitely will upgrade to 0w30 M1

Your receipts will show 0w-30 was used, so best hope 1) you don't have a problem, 2) if you do they don't ask for documentation and 3) if they do they ignore the variance.

Sorry to hear you're still wrestling with this.

If you really want to get to the bottom of it, may I suggest recruiting Terry Dyson of DysonAnalysis to point you in the right direction? http://www.dysonanalysis.com/

He used to post here years ago and was very helpful to a number of people.

I remember how he worked with Renewable Lubricants to make a special 5W-40 oil resistant to fuel dilution for Audi RS4 owners who were getting high engine wear at short intervals. Interesting reading if you care to search for it...

I'm running 0w20 in wife's Pilot so as far as receipts go I'm covered.

Same here. as they claimed, I was the first one with dilution issue. Same as yours he offered to do the oil change and monitor it. I said no thank, not at this time. It doesn't show up on the dipstick anyways. But again, as long as don't see increase in wear on the UAO - not loosing my sleep over it. Darn storm heading our way, that's a bit more concerning...

Originally Posted By: Danh

The "GC" next to the dilution % means it was determined using gas chromatography. You can Google gas chromatography to find out specifics, but it seems to be the most accurate method available to the general public and is somewhat akin to spectral analysis.

Keep in mind that 5% dilution in your Civic equates to less than 1/4 quart. It isn't unreasonable to believe that amount of oil was consumed during your OCI meaning the volume of oil burned was replaced by fuel introduced into the sump.
This^^^^^^.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back