Amsoil + PAO content

Status
Not open for further replies.
an older post a few years ago an amsoil dealer stated that only signature series uses PAO base oil, so i would guess all others motorcycle oils included are NOW using group III oils or is Amsoil NOW completely switched to group III oils

36.gif

I also have been having a suspicion that Amsoil is switching or had switched to Group III oils. I remember several years ago their top tier oils all had Pour Point at -54C. Now they are like -48C like M1. Plus, HTHS used to be by about 0.3 higher. Except maybe for 0wXX oils which still have lower Pour Point, but that's expected.

That said, Amsoil still appears to have mildest oil smell out of all the major brands I have tried. It almost smells sweet.

Which top tier oils had -54C pour points? Their Signature Series still have a pour point of around -53C, which are pretty well entirely PAO base stock. Their OE, XL are not 100% PAO like their SS line, and I am not sure about what % their Diesel oils are, the Series 3000 5w30 I am pretty sure is majority PAO, but I am not sure on the newer CJ-4 oils??

If an oil has a very low pour point, you can usually say it has lot's of PAO in it, but just because it has a higher pour point, doesn't mean anything, you can't say either way, IMO.

My guess is the Signature line is PAO, the XL line is a blend of PAO and Gp III, and the OE line is Group III alone. the XL seems to be strikingly similar to the Schaeffer 90003D synthetic that I use. And Schaeffer has no problem letting everyone know it is a PAO and Group III blend. Schaeffer's full synthetics, both PCMO and HDEO, are PAO / GpIII blends. Works fine for me in everything I use it in. Both PAO and Group III bring something to the party, so I am quite comfortable with blends of them.

Amsoil SS MSDS says base oils 30-60% CAS Numbers 64742-54-7, 64742-65-0

And if you look up the CAS numbers then,

64742-54-7 Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic
This product may be regulated, have exposure limits or other information identified as the following: Mineral Oil

64742-65-0 Distillates (petroleum), solvent-dewaxed heavy paraffinic
Streams obtained from vacuum distillates, vacuum residues and atmospheric distillation residues by processes such as solvent extraction or hydrogenation, and containing saturated and aromatic hydrocarbons, mainly in the range C10 to C50.

Here are the links:
http://www.amsoil.com/msds/azo.pdf

http://www.amref.com/Media/Files/ind_msds/R11_4315_KENDEX_0150H.pdf

https://s00.static-shell.com/content/dam...n-20.5mm2-s.pdf

I am not totally sure, but that looks like Group III to me, which I personally don't have a problem with, and I do use Amsoil products.

Amsoil's FAQ's clearly states that their oils are formulated based on performance criteria, not on the use of a particular base oil. That would suggest the use of 100% PAO as advertised some years ago is no longer the case.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Last week I pointed out that those CAS #'s are in error. Watch for updates. Thanks.

Pablo, how are Amsoil going to communicate the MSDS error to all previous purchasers of the product ?

In a litigious society, that's a pretty big failing.

Does that mean that the DD testing information that's on the way from the other (old) thread is close to the front of the queue ?

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: Pablo
Last week I pointed out that those CAS #'s are in error. Watch for updates. Thanks.

Pablo, how are Amsoil going to communicate the MSDS error to all previous purchasers of the product ?

In a litigious society, that's a pretty big failing.

Does that mean that the DD testing information that's on the way from the other (old) thread is close to the front of the queue ?

Playing devil's advocate here, do all the other manufacturers have to communicate their MSDS errors to purchasers? I've noticed differences between the MSDS and PDS on other manufacturers. Are they to be held to the same standard?

MSDS are updated with new info all the time and should be posted where the user has access like online. But how in the world would a manufacturer send MSDS to all their users? If you buy oil at Walmart with cash do you think Mobil will send you an updated MSDS?

Originally Posted By: davison0976
Amsoil SS MSDS says base oils 30-60% CAS Numbers 64742-54-7, 64742-65-0

And if you look up the CAS numbers then,

64742-54-7 Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic
This product may be regulated, have exposure limits or other information identified as the following: Mineral Oil

64742-65-0 Distillates (petroleum), solvent-dewaxed heavy paraffinic
Streams obtained from vacuum distillates, vacuum residues and atmospheric distillation residues by processes such as solvent extraction or hydrogenation, and containing saturated and aromatic hydrocarbons, mainly in the range C10 to C50.

Here are the links:
http://www.amsoil.com/msds/azo.pdf

http://www.amref.com/Media/Files/ind_msds/R11_4315_KENDEX_0150H.pdf

https://s00.static-shell.com/content/dam...n-20.5mm2-s.pdf

I am not totally sure, but that looks like Group III to me, which I personally don't have a problem with, and I do use Amsoil products.

Yep, Amsoil no longer advertises that their signature series oil is 100% PAO because it no longer is. It is clearly a blend at this point, not unlike the M1 EP series oils (that you can get for half the price in multiple locations). SS is fortified with a big additive package for the advertised extended drain intervals. Excellent oil still, but not the Unicorn Blood they advertise it as.

XL and OE are group III oil with the XL having a stouter additive package.

Originally Posted By: Sunnyinhollister
Playing devil's advocate here, do all the other manufacturers have to communicate their MSDS errors to purchasers? I've noticed differences between the MSDS and PDS on other manufacturers. Are they to be held to the same standard?

At least in Oz law, the company has to make every effort to make users of their product aware of the new MSDS...was just asking....involves sending the correct data sheet to dealers, and asking them to destroy the old, yes plus updating websites.

There's so much out of date Amsoil "data" that they don't seem to mind being thrown around the internet...their (well their representative's) response "they aren't employees of Amsoil"...just wondering how they will control the correct "Safety Data Sheet"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back