AMSOIL is forced to implement an energy surcharge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The last several years have seen an unprecedented rise in oil and energy costs for this country and the world. The rising costs of additives, basestocks, packaging, freight, energy itself, and just about everything we buy has significantly impacted our business, and in an effort to keep pace AMSOIL was forced to implement numerous of price increases over the last 4 years. Unfortunately, these costs continue to rise so quickly that our 90-120 day requirement for implementing price increases has not been timely enough.

By the time our price adjustments are effective, we have already suffered more cost increases that require the near immediate planning of yet another price increase.

For example, the increased costs that hit us in October, November and early December of 2007 forced the planning of the next price increase. We calculated costs and established new prices, announced the increase in the January Action News, and printed and distributed all new price lists by around February 1 for the March 1 effective date. Unfortunately, the company was hit with yet another round of large cost increases in February, significant enough to require another price increase even before the effective date of the previous price increase. Once again we were unable to recover our increased costs.

Since February, AMSOIL has received even more cost increases, and with the run up of crude oil well beyond the $100/barrel mark in recent weeks, we expect another across-the-board round of increases soon. With no end in sight and with the “experts” predicting everything from a burst of the bubble and oil prices dropping to the $50-$60 range, to those predicting a rise to near $200, no one clearly knows where energy costs are going.

Due to the quickening pace of the volatility in the energy sector and its undeniable impact on the prices of nearly everything, AMSOIL must develop a more efficient way to address these cost increases than continually trying to re-issue new price lists with prices that are inevitably behind the times by the time they become effective. Much like trucking companies, utilities and others faced with wildly fluctuating costs, AMSOIL is forced to implement an energy surcharge that will be applied to the total product value of each order and will be effective May 1, 2008 in the United States and Puerto Rico. If it is determined that Canada will be affected an announcement will be made.

By doing so the company will not have to continue re-issuing price lists to all customers, and it should help avoid changing discount schedules, freight schedules, etc., until some semblance of stability returns to the market. That way if our costs were to come back down we would not have to lower prices but could simply lower or eliminate the energy surcharge. Conversely, if costs continue to rise, we can implement a change in the surcharge monthly to address that volatility.

The initial surcharge is expected to be in the 3%-7% range. The company will wait until the very end of April to establish the exact percentage and will modify it on a monthly basis as needed. We will keep you posted in the Dealer Zone as new information becomes available that would impact the status of this surcharge program.

In the meantime, announcements will be developed for the Action News and for mailing to accounts informing them of the energy surcharge and the effective date. Your assistance in explaining the necessity for this is appreciated and will be to everyone’s individual benefit as well. Fortunately, AMSOIL products are still the most cost effective lubricants and filters available on the market today due to their longer drain and change intervals, and those are the points that need to be made to address objections you may face regarding price. The price of all lubricants will be going up, and that makes our cost effectiveness even more readily demonstrated. AMSOIL Dealers have the edge in these times of rising costs, and no one can logically tell you otherwise. Let the facts and cost calculations speak for themselves.

It's not just Amsoil, everyone is having this issue, so no surprises here. I think that quality is not something they will cut short to make ends meet due to rising costs.

so now oil is going down like a rock...Will Amsoil delay or stop the increase? I do not think so..

Originally Posted By: dargo
so now oil is going down like a rock...Will Amsoil delay or stop the increase? I do not think so..

Probably so - that's why they did it like that rather than print all new pricing, etc. We'll see in a little over a month...

just getting a little nuts here. When the do this I need to order before the hit...:)

The price of crude has gone up, but that's not what's making Amsoil or any other oil company raise their prices. It's the huge increases the additive companies have had in the past three years. Yes the oil companies are making money, but the additive companies are making a killing.

Since Amsoil has a computerized database, and most dealers have a computer as well, why not just broadcast price changes across the product database and have the dealers tell the customer the most recent price. Paper price lists can be expensive.

Transportation, petroleum products and by-products in the car wax; esters in the car wax.

The sooner we get to a bio-based economy and tell the shieks to go sc... themselves the better.

Last edited:
I really hate to make this statement, but....Amsoil had better find a way to lower it's overhead. They recently expended a large capital investement in the future of the company. But, growing can cause pains in an enviroment that the world is in now. You can't keep passing on the cost of doing business to the customer every time. Cost cutting, lay-offs, maybe the CEO and other executive pay needs to be RE-AUJUSTED? You Think?

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
I really hate to make this statement, but....Amsoil had better find a way to lower it's overhead. They recently expended a large capital investement in the future of the company. But, growing can cause pains in an enviroment that the world is in now. You can't keep passing on the cost of doing business to the customer every time. Cost cutting, lay-offs, maybe the CEO and other executive pay needs to be RE-AUJUSTED? You Think?

I just switched over to Amsoil and I'll say this much. Amsoil wants to play games with their pricing whenever they feel the need,I'll stop using the oil,plain and simple.

It's bad enough oil prices are at a all time high,then to have a company try to adjust prices according to their needs,I wont support that [censored].

Who said they were doing it "whenever they feel the need"....?

Mola - a lot of the old guys do phone and paper, but they are a dieing species.

I don't like it either. It sucks.....I'm hoping commodities ease back and the dollar stiffens.

Amsoil is not a high overhead company and I don't think they pay mega bucks. Al is pretty frugal from what I hear....

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Who said they were doing it "whenever they feel the need"....?

Mola - a lot of the old guys do phone and paper, but they are a dieing species.

I don't like it either. It sucks.....I'm hoping commodities ease back and the dollar stiffens.

Amsoil is not a high overhead company and I don't think they pay mega bucks. Al is pretty frugal from what I hear....

I'm abit touchy lately with oil prices and such,so i'll give this another look at.

In your own words Pablo,what and why is Amsoil proposing in what you posted in the original topic? I understand a price increase,but exactly why I'm wanting to know.

Is it because Amsoil says it rather than just burying it in the price like the retail companies do?

Smaller companies have a tougher time absorbing costs and cannot afford to wait for the price increases to filter down through the retail chain like the majors.

Originally Posted By: DragRace

In your own words Pablo,what and why is Amsoil proposing in what you posted in the original topic? I understand a price increase,but exactly why I'm wanting to know.

They state the reason - a huge percentage of the cost of goods sold comes from a commodity derived ingredient. It's impossible to internally swallow a 100% + increase in the cost a raw ingredient. Still no lower cost sources of high quality PAO's, additives and the like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back