Stamp prices going up starting tomorrow

Well, I guess I can add that to my list right behind my Auto ins, home ins, Medicare supplement ins, County Ambulance fees, Water runoff fees, tag fee, grocery bill and trash pickup. At least postage is the smallest percentage wise. Anybody else got a feeling that their lying to us about 9% inflation.

I remember taping a dime to a letter and sticking it in the mail box. Times have certainly changed... and not for the better.
Y'know, I did that when I was a kid also. I also recall getting two deliveries a day during the Christmas season, and the postman walked his route.

I'm going to buy stamps today at Giant Eagle that sells them at face value. I'm guessing they will only have booklets of flag stamps.

I usually buy design stamps at the post office since they cost the same price. There are forever Railroad Station stamps and Chief Standing Bear stamps I'd like to buy.

Interesting forever stamps

580904-L0.jpg
483704-T0.jpg

483604-T0.jpg
483904-Z0.jpg
483804-L0.jpg

Y'know, I did that when I was a kid also. I also recall getting two deliveries a day during the Christmas season, and the postman walked his route.

They still do walk the route here. Great people too. I talk with them as they do their route. They know everything about the people on their route.

Our usual carrier is female, and she has really had to increase her walking speed and cut down on talking. We talked very briefly about it, and she said she had more houses added to her route and her delivery times were cut. She apologized for cutting the conversation short, but she had to move on.

And I will say, she is no slouch when it comes to walking speed. She moves out!

If we use a book of stamps per year in my household that would be a lot. Even at work where we send a whole lot more out to an at home it is still an insignificant expense.

I don't like the frequent postage price increases either, but the regular first class letter increases are minimal. The PMG and the Board of Governors have gone nuts with the rate increases for oversize letters/flats and all packages. The new package rates start tomorrow also and they're way up. This week I mailed a 4 ounce envelope and since it was square (not rectangular) and more than 1/4 inch thick, the cost was $5.00. Ludicrous.

I seldom use snail mail, so this one time where inflation won’t affect me.

Last edited:
How many of you have one of these super cool postage stamp carrying Mail trucks? This is from the days when you actually had to lick the stamp. There's a tiny sponge behind the radiator grill that you'd moisten and drag the stamp across. The stamps are dispensed from the back of the truck. Now that stamps are self-adhesive I never "pop the hood" :)
Mail truck.JPG

I seldom use snail mail, so this one time where inflation won’t affect me.
Likewise with stamp use. I used two stamps since March 30 of 2022, and I am completely out of stamps now.

Back in probably the 80's, I got a postage meter rental so I could print my own postage. Didn't have much use for it back then either but thought it was pretty cool to send metered letters like a real business. After the 90 day free trial ended, I didn't think the $10 a month rental fee justified keeping it, no matter how cool it was.

Creating the forever stamp was the smartest thing they ever did. I remember huge lines at the post office just because stamps went up a couple cents. Dumb.
It’s the same thing like pulling 100% depreciation forward to the current year on capital assets. You drag future money to the present to make the numbers look good, and let 5 years from now worry about itself, because that will be somebody else’s problem by then!

Back