Amsoil EaO Filter Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
In perusing various threads on this site, I have read several references to the EaO that allude to its ability to "clean" engine oil to a level that exceeds that of virgin oil. I find this claim rather dubious. Can one or more of the experts on this site explain precisely how this occurs? Also, certain threads have indicated that the EaO's weakest filtration ability in comparison to the PureOne or M1 is the <5 micron particle range. Is this an accurate assessment?

Quote:
I find this claim rather dubious.

You won't here me making that claim. It may filter to the point that typical PC will give a better number in some circumstances ..but that's probably a hit or miss thing too.

I'll just say that it's the best filter in terms of filtration and longevity currently available at its level of cost:distribution market point over as broad a span of application.

One of the guys who does oil stuff for a living did samples on his car/truck and posted his number which indicated fewer particles in the oil after using an EaO filter than what came in his bottle of Mobil1.

While a full flow oil filter this is very good news if true but in Hydaulics (I think this is his real bread and butter) it is very common. My father works on Helicopters which require you to install a new filter when you change the oil. Then 30 MINUTES later after running you change the filter again as the oil is TOO DIRTY out of the bottle. Oh and you can't fly until the second filter is on. The filters they use are more like bypass filters I think...

So like I was saying not totally out of the question but that kind of performance is very hard to do and you may be surprised just how dirty you VIRGIN oil is.

Bulk oil can surely be contaminated with debris. There's also unsuspended/dissolved additives that are not yet (and may not be) put into suspension with heat.

There's virtually no way that you can filter combustion byproducts to the level the oil would be cleaner than new.

There's a great post that's WAY back in passenger car motor oils. I don't know if the images are there anymore. Stinky Peterson (the now deceased Mark Mathies) worked for Butler Labs and showed us the microscopic images. Pretty nasty stuff. He worked on a project where mining equipment was failing/wearing at some inordinate rate. They determined that bulk oil contamination was the cause. They apparently saved the company about a half million in avoided costs.

So, you may filter new oil and make it cleaner than it is out of the bottle ..but I'd do it within 5 minutes (just a number I pulled out of my behind) of operating to see it that way. Given that some of the debris will be additives that are yet to be suspended, you could find, if you did comparative tests with other filters, that they too would clean up these larger additive chunks. What one doesn't know is if the filter took them out ..or they just dissolved and are in solution.
21.gif

Now in terms of something like ATF (a hydraulic fluid in a hydraulic environment) ..sure. There you can see ..with something like a TP filter, that eventually the TP lasts longer and longer before becoming saturated. I think Ralph said that it takes about 3 rolls to purge the existing material ..from then on it's a lot longer between changes.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Gary Allan - Who manufactures Amsoil's EaO filter? - thanks in anticipation!

I received mine made by Wix, some others are made by Donaldson. I think they are mainly made by Donaldson. Correct me if I am wrong.

Originally Posted By: Doug Hillary
Hi,
Gary Allan - Who manufactures Amsoil's EaO filter? - thanks in anticipation!

I had the head filter guy at Amsoil qualify this. The media is produced by Amsoil at some facility of their ownership or contracted dedicated manufacturing. It's LICENSED by Donaldson in that it's their SYNTEQ process that's used in the making (which appears not unlike an extremely fine version of "Silly String" - a spraying process with fine filaments)

The actual filter may be made by WIX or another manufacturer. He said that different filter mans had better features in some filter offerings and worked better at incorporating their media and design spec's into the manufacturing process. I imagine (opinion) that some filter mans required undue costs at producing some filters and others did not ..or couldn't do it without some compromise involved.

I believe that WIX manufactures the EaBP line.

Keep in mind that no filter manufacturer produces all filters in all markets. Wix will use "filler" product to offer an account "full coverage" where it's not economical to produce a given niche offering. All the other filter mans do the same. Some excell in OTR/heavy equipment, some industrial hydraulics, and some consumer automobiles. None of them do it all
21.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ewetho
One of the guys who does oil stuff for a living did samples on his car/truck and posted his number which indicated fewer particles in the oil after using an EaO filter than what came in his bottle of Mobil1.

While a full flow oil filter this is very good news if true but in Hydaulics (I think this is his real bread and butter) it is very common. My father works on Helicopters which require you to install a new filter when you change the oil. Then 30 MINUTES later after running you change the filter again as the oil is TOO DIRTY out of the bottle. Oh and you can't fly until the second filter is on. The filters they use are more like bypass filters I think...

So like I was saying not totally out of the question but that kind of performance is very hard to do and you may be surprised just how dirty you VIRGIN oil is.

A hydraulic savvy technician I spoke with fought against regular hydraulic oil changes as scheduled maintenance because the change put dirty oil into the system, and stirred up [censored] in the sump. They went to oil analysis to determine when to replace oil. The systems were 5 micron filtered. The 55 gal. drums were factory filtered to 50 micron. Often they will put Hilco filtering units online for preventative after oil changes or system service to help avoid issues with crud in the valves causing sticking spools. Is motor oil the same? I don't know, but I guess it's possible.

At work (power plant), we always centrifuge new oil before it is added to the turbines. It may look clean out of the barrel, but I assure you it is not.

There are plenty of filters from Donaldson that are in the Beta5=75 ..and probably even Beta5=200 or even 1000. They're prohibitively expensive for automotive use and would have to be extremely large to handle any OCI ..even with today's clean engines.

Many of you have probably seen one of these

filtra4.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
There are plenty of filters from Donaldson that are in the Beta5=75 ..and probably even Beta5=200 or even 1000. They're prohibitively expensive for automotive use and would have to be extremely large to handle any OCI ..even with today's clean engines.

Many of you have probably seen one of these

filtra4.gif

I can squeeze that into my Civic...!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back