Amsoil - 25,000 mile OCI???

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I'm considering going with Amsoils 0w20 (ASM). Both their website and the rep I spoke to said that is a 25,000 mile oil when used with their Ea filter. My question is, has anyone actually gone 25,000 miles on their oil?? I'm hoping that it will last 15,000-18,000 miles, which is 1 year of driving for me. BTW my vehicle is a 2005 Ford F150 5.4 with 36,000 miles on it. So far, I've been running Motorcraft 5w20.

I have no experience with the 0w20, but did run the S2k 0w30 for 13,000+ miles (1 yr) in a 2002 5.3l Yukon XL. I did change the filter and topup with 1/2 qt at 7,700 (Amsoil SDF filter). Oil analysis was great (residual TBN 5.4) and they advised I should go another 4-5000 but I had already changed it because it had been 1 yr. I used this as a basis for going 2x OLM OCI's.

Supposedly great oil...but it depends on your vehicle. I don't think I'd trust ANY oil to 25K oci's. IMO, get a uoa at 10k and go from there. Plus you also have to consider your warranty if need be.

First of all the ASM is so new, no one in the public has that many miles on it.

Second it’s not automatically 25K. In some/most cases it’s 15K miles for severe driving, unless it’s a non-sludge engine (which yours isn’t) and then it’s max recommended OEM OCI. And it’s also limited by 6 months or 12 months depending on engine and conditions.

People rarely drive 25K light miles in under 12 months.

What kind of driving do you do?

PS I hope you didn’t give a dealer your account. Thanks.
welcome.gif

Amsoil is capable of 15k miles per year.

If you're doing 25k miles per year, you are doing mostly highway. It's doable, but I recommend oil analysis www.dysonanalysis.com to verify. For myself, I prefer 8k-12k mile drains with any oil.

Well if you gave another Amsoil dealer your name and particulars, and you go to buy the stuff, he'll get the credit. I'd like the chance to be your full service dealer and give you the best answers.

No problem - if you go through the website use #515729 when prompted(that's me). Thanks.

I have both ASL 5w30 and ASM 0w20 sitting in my basement for the past couple weeks. I have both Wix and EaO to go with them. I plan on using the ASL for 6 months until winter when I will switch to ASM and use it for 6 months translating to 36000 km for 12 months.

Some years ago on a 1994 Dodge Caravan, driven in NYC area, with about 25% highway thrown in, I ran a change of early TSO for over 25K. Results were pretty good considering mileage. When I reread the post I realized that there was no makeup oil actually added just the 3 filter changes. It was post # 250628 from 2/13/06 if anyone cares to view it. I have since run HDD under same conditions, but on 20k intervals, one or 2 filter changes. Now with Eao filters used I am trying with 1 filter during period, just topping off oil when needed. This type of interval is not for everyone. I am careful to avoid excessive idling, excect in traffic. I never warm up engine. I just start it and drive off light, and easy until at least 7 miles of so have been driven. This I'm certain this helps keep oil in good condition longer. On my wifes Outback H6, I adhere to Amsoil HDD 5w/30 with Eao filter with yearly changes, just topping off very little when needed. Probably less than a quart in year. I work for me, on these engines, with careful driving. Vinny

bamorris2,
I would recommend you use the Amsoil 0w-20 for 12,000 miles and then do a UOA. If the UOA looks good, extend the oil change accordingly. For the super long drain intervals, 15,000+ miles, the Amsoil Series 3000 5w-30 has shown to be the better choice for longer oil changes in V8 engines.

Quote:

First of all the ASM is so new, no one in the public has that many miles on it.

Second it’s not automatically 25K. In some/most cases it’s 15K miles for severe driving, unless it’s a non-sludge engine (which yours isn’t) and then it’s max recommended OEM OCI. And it’s also limited by 6 months or 12 months depending on engine and conditions.

People rarely drive 25K light miles in under 12 months.

What kind of driving do you do?

PS I hope you didn’t give a dealer your account. Thanks.
welcome.gif

Pablo,I thought it was guaranteed . Had to tease you cause of you honest reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back