Amsoil 0W/20, '07 Hyundai Elantra 7312 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
The car had 14,274 miles on it with this drain. 8 month interval. About a 50/50 mix of driving, and not afraid to see the upper parts of the rpm band. This is the 2nd analysis I have done, mainly because this engine is very noisy on cold starts. Sounds just like a diesel till the temp gauge starts to move. The history on the car is went 3030 on factory fill, 1885 on Pennzoil 5w/20(dealer changed), 2047 on QuakerState 5w/20 and then this change of 7312 on the 0w/20. I went with the 0w/30 SSO for the current fill. First column is the 0w/20 Amsoil, 2nd column is the 5w/20 QuakerState, then the last column is the universal average. This Elantra has had the factory Hyundai filters each time and has been getting Amsoil PI about every 4000 miles.

Alum...3...1...2
Chrom..1...0...1
Iron..13...6...9
Copper.6...5...3
Lead...0...0...1
Tin....2...0...1
Moly...5..41..54
Nickel.0...0...0
Mangan.1...1...0
Silver.0...0...0
Titan..0...0...0
Potass.2...0...1
Boron..15.159.45
Silic.12...5...7
Sodium.6...3...15
Calc.2599.1514.2322
Magnes.10..7...77
Phosp.578.569.706
Zinc.667.677..847
Barium.1...0...1

1st column Ams0w/20, second column 5w/20 QuakerState

SUS Vis 53.3...51.4 should be 46-59
cST visc 8.26..7.70 should be 6.0-10.2
Flashpnt 370...375 should be >385
Fuel% .8 ... Antifreeze 0....0 should be 0
Water% 0...0 should be 0
insolubles% .3...<0.5 should be <0.6

Not a whole lot different, but for some reason a LOT smoother. Warmed up, you only hear the injectors clicking now I noted. The engine is so quiet warmed up, it is disturbing to hear how aweful it sounds cold.
I was extremely impressed with the SSO in my mom's PT Cruiser, which is what caused the changeover for the Elantra. I have been driving my 08 Focus this past week so haven't had a real chance to listen to the Elantra yet. Blackstone did the analysis, noted the fuel also. I am guessing it is because the last couple of times it was driven was around town an not really fully warmed up. Blackstone said I should easily be able to go a longer interval, but I am hesitant because of warranty.

You could try changing the oil filter. That works for some people.

Maybe that car doesn't like that thin of an oil? What weight does it call for 5w-20?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ZZman
You could try changing the oil filter. That works for some people.

Maybe that car doesn't like that thin of an oil? What weight does it call for 5w-20?

Agreed. This car should not sound like a diesel while warming up, and I have read of others solving this kind of problem by going to a different filter.

I'd throw on a Wix or Napa gold right now to see. Your car making that noise cannot be a good thing. It might not be a bad thing, but it sure as heck isn't a good thing.

Thicker oil is quieter and what causes the rattle noise .Does the engine have a cam belt or a chain? hyd valve adjusters? Cold increases the space between the parts. Pistons are machined oval and get round when warm ,Measure one . Cold is bad, the wear seems good.

If it's piston slap isn't going to hurt anything. It's something that some engines have, and pretty much has to be lived with.

The OE filters I believe are made by Mann. I will stick with them. Hyundai even has issued a TSB to advise against using aftermarket filters. Not my first Elantra, used Purolator and Fram on the others, not impressed at all compared to the OE filter. Solid tappet engine and it is a timing belt engine. I think it uses the adjustment shims for the valve drain. Hyundai "prefers" 5w/20, but 5w/30 and 10w/30 are listed as alternatives. When I purchased this one, I couldn't decide on color so I drove various ones till deciding on this one. All had a similar gravely diesel type sound although this one was a little louder. When the outside temp is around 50 degrees or higher, noise is minimal or not present. The colder outside, the worse it sounds. Has not changed or gotten worse so I doubt it is anything to worry about and judging by my wear numbers I don't think anything is amiss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back