Amount of engine oil vs engine power

Before watching this Video I thought Dry Sump Oil System, and the Bald Guy said Dry Sump at the end of the Video! The only other option is an Oil Accumulator. JMO

Once again, LSJr's video is about 90% boring and could be summarized in about 2 minutes, but that won't monetize his pockets ....

What they proved isn't new by any means. Overfilling causes aeration of the lube and also parasitic loses, which can be huge of you grossly Overfill.
But, these results also show that normal daily driving with a tad of Overfill (1/2 qrt or less) won't be noticed by Joe Average. The losses are in the upper rpms, and only are significant when doubling the sump capacity.

Once again, LSJr's video is about 90% boring and could be summarized in about 2 minutes, but that won't monetize his pockets ....

What they proved isn't new by any means. Overfilling causes aeration of the lube and also parasitic loses, which can be huge of you grossly Overfill.
But, these results also show that normal daily driving with a tad of Overfill (1/2 qrt or less) won't be noticed by Joe Average. The losses are in the upper rpms, and only are significant when doubling the sump capacity.
You really weren't surprised that they lost 60hp?

And yes the max hp is in upper rpm, I don't think that this video is meant for any Joe Average driving toyota corrola for example....

As an eye opener for car enthusiast, I think that it is 🤷

You really weren't surprised that they lost 60hp?
Not at all. Why do you think windage trays have been common for decades in race cars?

Also note that they are using 15w-40 lube for the tests, at up to 7k rpm. Most engines which truly are 100% made for sustained racing run fairly thin lubes, to reduce every fractional HP loss. It's common to see weekend-warrior racers use thicker lubes; they don't have multi-million dollar annual budgets for engines to be rebuilt, and often even drive their cars to/from the track. So the w/w racers will trade off some HP loss for "longevity" (perceived or real).

And yes the max hp is in upper rpm, I don't think that this video is meant for any Joe Average driving toyota corrola for example....
And yet most BITOGers here are often fond of taking things out of context. So it bears mentioning ... these results are not typical; they must be shown at the extremes of operation to get extreme results. (and the common YT viewer is even less informed than the average BITOGer, which means they are really easily duped by PF and LSJr videos ....)

There are LOTS of tests that exist at some feathery-edge of an envelope, to find out how things respond at an extreme. But that resultant data and the summarizations thereafter often do not translate well into the world of Joe Average. But that doesn't stop Joe from (mis)using the info to draw conclusions in some bastardized form. Take, for example, the infamous GM "filter study" ... the amount of soul-sucking marketing garbage that "study" generated is atrocious. Yet it doesn't stop people from buying into the hype.

Last edited:
So if I put 20+ quarts of oil I'll have almost no hp? So the ideal oil level to make power is just enough to cover the pickup tube in the corners?

I should watch the video

Looks like a bunch of bubbles to me, or as nuclear physicists would call a "void". Not good.

Back