America Is Back in the Factory Business

Status
Not open for further replies.

"Construction spending related to manufacturing reached $108 billion in 2022, Census Bureau data show, the highest annual total on record—more than was spent to build schools, healthcare centers or office buildings.

New factories are rising in urban cores and rural fields, desert flats and surf towns. Much of the growth is coming in the high-tech fields of electric-vehicle batteries and semiconductors, national priorities backed by billions of dollars in government incentives. Other companies that once relied exclusively on lower-cost countries to manufacture eyeglasses and bicycles and bodybuilding supplements have found reasons to come home."

"Today U.S. manufacturing employment is holding steady at about 10% of the private sector, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, with nearly 800,000 jobs added in the sector over the past two years."

1681214980766.png

California-based eyewear vendor Zenni Optical Inc. exclusively used its own Chinese manufacturing facilities during much of its 20-year existence. In May, the company opened its first U.S. plant near Columbus, Ohio, to better serve the Midwest and East Coast, where most of its sales originate.

It’s a start. 10% of the private sector, 800k jobs (which are numbers that get manipulated) don’t get people off the streets in places like Camden.

But it’s a start.

And a good strategic offset.

Hopefully they can do more repurposing of old decrepit locations, instead of plowing under farms. The other side of the balance is to recapitalize locations that were once used instead of ignoring those locations (and people) and destroying more land. Unfortunately some of such places are inhospitable.

I hope it continues and I hope we unite for this common goal regardless of party etc. We need to think more long term about who we work with. I realize things can change rapidly, but we now find ourselves in quite the predicament after setting up China the last 40 years.

It’s a start. 10% of the private sector, 800k jobs (which are numbers that get manipulated) don’t get people off the streets in places like Camden.

But it’s a start.

And a good strategic offset.

Hopefully they can do more repurposing of old decrepit locations, instead of plowing under farms. The other side of the balance is to recapitalize locations that were once used instead of ignoring those locations (and people) and destroying more land. Unfortunately some of such places are inhospitable.
Most people 'on the street' are not capable of being productive .

We must think about why was the manufacturing allowed to off shore in the first place.
high profits. plus, you import real products in exchange for pieces of green paper. it's a lucrative setup if you can get it.

We must think about why was the manufacturing allowed to off shore in the first place.
I know a guy who was CFO for a very well-known high-end department store who offshored all their textile production to India and as a result of his "good business decision", he received an $8M bonus on top of his already very high salary. I don't think the decision reached much beyond his own personal gains.

Right. I did have one Econ professor in 1998 tell me that due to globalization American standard of living will drop while the world economies rise.
There are always winners and losers. I minored in Econ and have heard lotsa conflicting opinions... Worse than that, twisting around Economic principals to align with one's agenda.
Even over simplifying...

There are always winners and losers. I minored in Econ and have heard lotsa conflicting opinions... Worse than that, twisting around Economic principals to align with one's agenda.
Even over simplifying...
Very true.

Economic forecasting is all over the place. Worse than meteorology lol. The core principles are solid though - supply/demand/opportunity cost etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back