Amazon vs Rock Auto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I just made my 1st order at Rock Auto.
Generally I use Amazon (parts) and Wally World (oil).
Simple stuff; Denso Air and Wix Oil filters for 2006 TSX.
Fram Air (like $3) for 1998 Accord.
Great prices! But the shipping kinda balances out Amazon.

Shipping is Nov 15 and 17. Amazon is 2 days! Sheesh!
Not sure I will use them again.

Your thoughts?

I try to spread my $$$ around.
Rock Auto is easiest to surf for parts but they do sell a bunch of older closeouts.
But then again you aren't paying new prices....

Find the part number on Rockauto then buy it on Amazon for cheaper with Prime shipping
wink.gif

I've stated this several times. I always compare with Amazon but have found that Rock Auto beats them (including shipping) almost every time. Yes, shipping takes longer with RA but I've usually had the packages arrive well before the estimated arrival date. Don't forget to use the 5% coupon code with RA, changes monthly but is always available.

They all have their place. On average, the better deals, and faster shipping, can be found on Amazon. However, RockAuto definitely has some real finds. I buy from both.

Originally Posted by RamFan
I've stated this several times. I always compare with Amazon but have found that Rock Auto beats them (including shipping) almost every time. Yes, shipping takes longer with RA but I've usually had the packages arrive well before the estimated arrival date. Don't forget to use the 5% coupon code with RA, changes monthly but is always available.

Same here on regular price items on the auto parts that I buy. The RA closeout prices are fantastic.

Most of the time when I do get stuff cheaper on Amazon it's one of those items with only one left. I keep an eye on it until it goes less than $10, and then buy it.

Lets see...
Amazon: Denso AF $15 + Wix $10 + Accord AF $9 = $34
2 day shipping with Prime.

RA - $30, and that is with the closeout $4 Fram AF.

2 days vs approx 10 days?
Not sure that works for me.
I appreciate your comments.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Your thoughts?

Decide for yourself where to buy stuff. Isn't that all that matters, what you think is best for you ?

I don't know about Amazon, but Rock Auto gives you easy choices to decide from on the part you need. I'm guessing many people buy whatever is cheap and the quality sucks.
One of my friends bought many parts for a Ford Focus from Rock Auto. The OEM parts were bad enough, but the cheap aftermarket stuff was garbage.

When i'm not in a hurry for a part - Rockauto.com

Kinda In a hurry for a part - Amazon.com

Need it yesterday - Oreilly Auto, Napa or Advance Auto Parts.

I always shop around. Sometimes RA (with shipping) is cheaper, sometimes it's Amazon or eBay. Sometimes it's very close with Advance Auto when a discount coupon pops up.

Rock Auto customer service has been great over the years for me. My beater Saturn was fed a diet of Rock Auto and Salvage yard parts. So I am loyal to them.

Amazon, not so much. Went to buy Hyundai antifreeze for my Elantra. Amazon had it for $25 in the morning. When I went to buy it in the evening $35. So I bought A2 Pentosfrost and two Anco wiper blades for less at Rock Auto. The wiper blades added $1 to shipping and was a smoking deal.

RA's cheaper if you ship to a business address, eg your work if they'll allow it.

Mostly Amazon nowadays due to free Prime shipping to Hawaii. Rock Auto's shipping is outrageous but I still go there for parts once in a great while.

In my experience the overall cost from either Amazon or Rockauto are comparable. IF there are problems with the order, Amazon is easier to deal with.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Lets see...
Amazon: Denso AF $15 + Wix $10 + Accord AF $9 = $34
2 day shipping with Prime.

RA - $30, and that is with the closeout $4 Fram AF.

2 days vs approx 10 days?
Not sure that works for me.
I appreciate your comments.

That's because you aren't ordering the right parts/things to take advantage of the prices.

I've bought wiper blades, wheel bearings, brake caliper rebuild kits, oil filters, intake gaskets, etc. etc. from Rockauto - - all for JUST $1.00 EACH - or less!

Don't buy your oil from them, that's just silly - - and don't bash them when it's your responsibility to shop around - responsibly, of course.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back