amazon basics 5-40 not as good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by DoubleNickels
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
PCV Valve?
Coolant Flush?
Air Filters?

Is the car overheating? Does it have grille shutters, and if so are they stuck closed?

I'd look over the cooling system, change pcv valve, flush the Dexcool and replace, and check the airfilters.

With the oil burning, I'd probably look at the spark plugs too, possibly replacing those.

After that I'd find a HM 5w30 in any flavor, is Maxlife Dexos Approved?

It's not even his car. Girlfriend's car. And she's getting another.

Uhhuh.
My girlfriends Fiesta was constantly overheating which lead to oil consumption.
A quick check over the engine I found that the Chevy dealer she bought it from dumped the Ford yellow and put in dexcool, the pcv was clogged, grill shutters were lodged shut and the autolite spark plugs werent changed in over 70k mi

About 50$ later, and a few hours of driving with vinegar to flush the coolant system (shoulda seen the gunk that came out when we flushed that to put the coolant in), I replaced the antifreeze, pcv valve, spark plugs, pcv valve, air filter, and changed the oil to QS Defy - also removing the active shutter system.

We just changed her oil after 5k mileage on the defy. what was once 1qt burning every 1000mi is now gone, the car runs cooler and burns zero oil, shes on this QSUD fill now with zero burning or overheating issues.

Originally Posted by nascarnation
I believe 2.4s have PCV issues. So that would be a good place to start.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Chevy dealer she bought it from dumped the Ford yellow and put in dexcool, the pcv was clogged, grill shutters were lodged shut and the autolite spark plugs werent changed in over 70k mi

Sums it all up. Problem is with the car. Not the oil. Figure out what's wrong with the car. Fix it. Or get rid of it. Solution is not to find the right cocktail of motor oil for burning. Someone may as well tell him to send in a sample of used oil for analysis. It doesn't matter. You will never fix the problem by trying to figure out which oil will burn best.

Originally Posted by blupupher
Originally Posted by Wolf359

While that's also true, Amazon basics oil basically isn't approved by most manufacturers and has a minimum of approvals.

Manufacturers don't approve oil, they require a spec for an oil to meet.
Amazon Euro 5w-40 is an API SN, ACEA A3/B4 rated oil. If your vehicle needs these specs, then it is "approved" to use in that vehicle.

And in the case of this user, it does not meet the specs of his 2013 Malibu with the 2.5. It should be a 0w-20 or 5w-20 dexos1 oil.

Many manufactures like Mercedes have an approved list. I guess maybe it's just semantics. Amazon oils don't seem to pay to be on their approved list. For a 5w40, it would be common for to meet MB 229.5 or BMW LL-01 especially when they claim to be a Euro formula oil. But you don't see it listed on MB's list of oils that are tested and approved by the manufacturer.

https://bevo.mercedes-benz.com/bevolisten/229.5_en.html

Many manufactures like Mercedes have an approved list. I guess maybe it's just semantics. Amazon oils don't seem to pay to be on their approved list. For a 5w40, it would be common for to meet MB 229.5 or BMW LL-01 especially when they claim to be a Euro formula oil. But you don't see it listed on MB's list of oils that are tested and approved by the manufacturer.

OK, I see what you are saying.
I would bet it is a cost issue, for the minimal gain they would get for some of these "special" ratings, what are they going to get out of it?
Aside from here, how many Mercedes owners do their own oil changes? And the one's that do will want "the best of the best" and would not be looking at Amazon basics.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by blupupher

OK, I see what you are saying.
I would bet it is a cost issue, for the minimal gain they would get for some of these "special" ratings, what are they going to get out of it?
Aside from here, how many Mercedes owners do their own oil changes? And the one's that do will want "the best of the best" and would not be looking at Amazon basics.

Don't forget than a Mercedes probably has a 10-20 year usable life and lots of people buy them in the 5-20k range. Yeah, maybe when they were new, people took them to dealer, but then they got rid of them after 3-5 years, but the 2nd/3rd/4th owner may be the one changing their own oil. Basically the knock on Amazon Basics oil is that it doesn't have the manufacturer approvals that many other oils like Mobil or Castrol have so why bother when you can just as easily buy a name brand oil that has the approvals.

And I change the oil myself.

Basically the knock on Amazon Basics oil is that it doesn't have the manufacturer approvals that many other oils like Mobil or Castrol have so why bother when you can just as easily buy a name brand oil that has the approvals.

$30 for 6 quarts of Amazon Basics versus $23 for 5 quarts of Castrol Edge or Mobil 1 on Walmart rollback. I don't know why anyone would bother with Amazon Basics.
confused.gif

Originally Posted by barlowc
Basically the knock on Amazon Basics oil is that it doesn't have the manufacturer approvals that many other oils like Mobil or Castrol have so why bother when you can just as easily buy a name brand oil that has the approvals.

$30 for 6 quarts of Amazon Basics versus $23 for 5 quarts of Castrol Edge or Mobil 1 on Walmart rollback. I don't know why anyone would bother with Amazon Basics.
confused.gif

THIS!
thumbsup2.gif
01.gif

confused.gif

Pricing and availability change.

Originally Posted by DoubleNickels

confused.gif

Pricing and availability change.

Or you can buy Supertech at WM. It's the same stuff.

Another option is to buy the Havoline 6 quart box. Even cheaper yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back