Am I the only one who hates wearing gloves?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're not alone. I have the scar tissue and neuropathy to prove it. Working with rough lumber and rougher steel at the shipyard, we were supplied with gloves. The cheapest cloth and leather palm gloves they could find. In cold weather we were issued cotton gloves to use as liners. The combination is very serviceable. Even soaking wet, they afforded warmth. I try to keep a pair on hand at all times. These days, I get them for 3$ a pair. My meds tend to thin out my blood, the wrenches get slippery.
grin2.gif

I always use nitrile gloves when working on cars, especially for changing fluids. It's much quicker to take off a pair of dirty gloves than scrub my hands. I wear Harbor Freight mechanic's gloves when weedeating, handling wood/brush, changing tires, etc... I keep a pair of jersey gloves in every coat I own.

The most "fun" I ever had with gloves was a few years ago when my alternator belt started slipping and broke on my '93 Toyota truck. It was 5 degrees outside and I took a look and the other two belts were ready to break (I didn't do as much preventative maintenance as I do now). Anyway, I had to drive it to work the next morning so I got to it after dark in the snow in my gravel driveway. Actually did the entire job with a thick pair of mechanic's gloves from Harbor Freight. I'll never not use them from now on. I buy a couple pairs a year.

I wear Hyflex brand gloves when working on cars and pretty much any type of work where my hands are in close proximity to sharp edges. They make several styles. They have saved me many time from skinned knuckles. The grip is very tactile, allowing me to pick up tiny bolts. I actually feel weird working on a car without them now.

31HClM01yCL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CincyDavid
"I don't think it would be cool for an honor guard in full dress to be sticking his hands into pockets to keep them warm."

The honor guard guys wear the white "mickey mouse" gloves and never take them off that I've seen. I'm the cemeterian, standing there off to the side, greeting the family, closing the back door on the funeral coach and keeping an eye on things.

Sorry I used an incorrect term for your role, just was making the point that it sounded like you were officially representing the military at interments and standing there with your hands in your pockets to let hand warmers do their thing would probably not be appropriate.
BTW, I think what you do is really cool...it took a while after my dad's funeral to get his burial arranged and I wasn't able to be there. He was in the hospital for a while and between work and wanting to her my wife with our 3 month old I really felt I needed to get back home. My sister and aunt represented the family at the interment and I can't remember if they told me there was a bugler or they played a recording...both of them are also long gone, so I don't really have anybody to ask. I keep the flag from the burial in my closet (off the ground) for now and will figure out a good way to display it some day.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
"I don't think it would be cool for an honor guard in full dress to be sticking his hands into pockets to keep them warm."

The honor guard guys wear the white "mickey mouse" gloves and never take them off that I've seen. I'm the cemeterian, standing there off to the side, greeting the family, closing the back door on the funeral coach and keeping an eye on things.

Sorry I used an incorrect term for your role, just was making the point that it sounded like you were officially representing the military at interments and standing there with your hands in your pockets to let hand warmers do their thing would probably not be appropriate.
BTW, I think what you do is really cool...it took a while after my dad's funeral to get his burial arranged and I wasn't able to be there. He was in the hospital for a while and between work and wanting to her my wife with our 3 month old I really felt I needed to get back home. My sister and aunt represented the family at the interment and I can't remember if they told me there was a bugler or they played a recording...both of them are also long gone, so I don't really have anybody to ask. I keep the flag from the burial in my closet (off the ground) for now and will figure out a good way to display it some day.

Just to clarify I represent the cemetery...I sell prearranged funerals and cemetery and memorialization products. Part of my responsibility is to "stand services"and make sure that everything goes according to plan. even though we complete hundreds of interments, inurnments and entombments annually the family only cares about THIS ONE and we have to make absolutely certain it goes off without a hitch. And I have to call the police if the family starts fighting, which happens periodically.

Been a long standing argument between me and the safety regime.

a decade as turbine engineer, and I always approached spinny stuff with no jewelery and my sleeves rolled up.

Against policy...

Originally Posted By: Shannow
.... I always approached spinny stuff with no jewelery and my sleeves rolled up.

Against policy...

Against policy? Had a client early in my career who got loose clothing entangled in an exposed spinny stuff and it popped the arm right off at the elbow.

I wear them when appropriate. Latex or nitrile gloves for oil changes. Mechanix brand gloves when taking apart HOT engines. Various Held gloves for riding.

Just to clarify I represent the cemetery...I sell prearranged funerals and cemetery and memorialization products. Part of my responsibility is to "stand services"and make sure that everything goes according to plan. even though we complete hundreds of interments, inurnments and entombments annually the family only cares about THIS ONE and we have to make absolutely certain it goes off without a hitch. And I have to call the police if the family starts fighting, which happens periodically.

OK, I finally get it!

I like using my bare hands! But I do regret that when I was a child I hated gloves in winter.. something I regret at this day. If I could go back in time, i would make sure to wear gloves every single time my parents told me too! I lose color in some of my fingers quickly in the cold.. Im pretty sure thanks to me not wearing them.. If no concern of freezing, Im about not wearing gloves! There are exceptions.. changing oil is one..

PPE requirements for most of the chemicals I work with require gloves of one caliber or another be worn at all times.

I don't like them, especially in warm weather, and get joshed on at work for changing gloves sometimes several times during 1 task.

I don't like the sweat puddles that you end up with, especially in reusable gloves.

So gross.

It depends on the job. My dad gave me a pair of Wells Lamont leather gloves and a pair of pliers when I first started working on the farm. I spent a lot of my early years moving 90-pound hay bales (with wire) and running pitchforks, shovels, and concrete come-alongs. Even with gloves, I had a good set of calluses.

I haven't been able to get used to doing auto work with latex gloves, though I have a bag of them in my toolbox and wore a pair for my last oil change. Maybe the habit will grow on me.

I heard a secondhand story about a salty old Wyoming rancher at fence-building time. Somebody showed up with a pair of gloves, and the old boy supposedly said the only thing you can do with gloves on is "wet" your pants.

Originally Posted By: Win
.... I always approached spinny stuff with no jewelery and my sleeves rolled up.

Against policy...

Against policy? Had a client early in my career who got loose clothing entangled in an exposed spinny stuff and it popped the arm right off at the elbow.

Seen a safety training picture of a vertical drill press with lots of hair wrapped around it.
If you have long hair, tuck it under a hat or a bandana.

Originally Posted By: Win

Against policy...

Yes, exactly.

But when people who have never done "stuff" get in charge of policy, you get this sort of stuff...like one of my guys was after a set of safety boots that had a more "all terrain" grip for rehabbing an open cut coal mine...they were Standards approved, they were the same manufacturer, same style, just different tread, but to get him a set was "against policy".

I wear nitrile/latex gloves for oil changes. I also use them in the kitchen when working with meats. I cook all the family meals and I dont like getting meat goo on my hands. I use leather work gloves out in the yard and when on the mower. I wear motorcycle gloves when riding on the motorcycle.

I dont need warm weather gloves here.

While I don't like to wear gloves, my old skin is getting so thin I must. In the shop I wear HF latex coated gloves pushing sharp splintery wood through the jointer & the tablesaw. The tablesaw is a Sawstop so that danger is negated.
Heavy leather gloves for the outside work especially firewood and Nitrile gloves for mechanic & oil changes. I just finished a custom kitchen for a client and the only blood was from a skin pinch from a clamp-no gloves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back