Always check for double gaskets on install.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides OP being either 1) too proud to accept their own mistake and for blaming any one brand on operator error, or 2) trolling looking for an argument, how is it people who have double gasket issues never seem to wipe the mating surfaces off? This is why I don't buy this. Either its a sloppy oil change at best, or it's a made up story.

I'd think that cleaning off the filter mount and visually looking at the filter mount before installing a new filter is pretty standard practice, and that's when someone should easily see the old stuck gasket.

The oil filter Gaskets on my XG8a sized filters fits nearly perfectly on cans of spray lubricant and similar.
I use them to hold the red straws to their sides.
Unlikely i would ever leave one stuck to engine block, as I look at these as valuable and useful, and I've never had one stick to the engine before anyway.

The fram ultra and the Mobil 1 m1-301 gaskets are twice as thick.

There’s a chance that any brand oil filter can lose a gasket on the mounting flange. Anyone can make the mistake of not checking for a gasket that was left behind. I’m not a diehard FRAM user but, they do work well on my zero turn mower. In fact, FRAM and STP are the only aftermarket brands that do work on my zero turn.
Not very likely on a Denso oil filter because the O-ring type seal is contained. Nice design on a very well made filter.

I have been changing my own oil for 50 years or so. For the first 25 years or so just used the cheapest filter I could get,
Did not use fram. Past 25 years always used ac/delco on my chevy trucks. Got a Frontier for the past year. I did 4 oil changes on
it. Factory filter, then one wix filter then decided to try fram ultra. Changed it the other day and I ended up with a doubled gasket losing 3 quarts of oil.
I always coat my gasket and tighten to specs. Just a fluke maybe but I am going back to either wix or oem.
Well, to me it’s one of those things that happens and then you will be the last person it ever happens to
(by looking at the old filter and making sure the gasket is there)

Besides OP being either 1) too proud to accept their own mistake and for blaming any one brand on operator error, or 2) trolling looking for an argument, how is it people who have double gasket issues never seem to wipe the mating surfaces off? This is why I don't buy this. Either its a sloppy oil change at best, or it's a made up story.

It makes me of something I would see on one of those clickbait YouTube channels where the content creator is conjuring up some ignorant video premise to suck people in. It's like that one clown who cut open a Fram can filter with a grinder in ugly fashion and then suggested that it was internally damaged because of Fram's quality control. I am pretty sure they know exactly what they are saying and doing and the reactions they hope will result.

I have to ask, who is more foolish? The person suggesting like this is true or the one who genuinely believes them?

I have to ask, who is more foolish? The person suggesting like this is true or the one who genuinely believes them?
Most people on the board are genuine, but there are a few who join to troll or push a specific agenda. Either way, they typically meet their deserved demise. Too early to tell in this case.

I refuse to tell you there were 2 or 3 Toyota oil plug gasket warshers on my 1993 Toyota 4WD PU with the 22R-E before my brother pointed it out to me. They were stuck on so I thought it was a raised boss on the pan.
Truck's odo quit years ago at 350K. Been totaled once or twice sliding around on ice. Still in service at my BIL in Gig Harbor, WA.

I have been changing my own oil for 50 years or so. For the first 25 years or so just used the cheapest filter I could get,
Did not use fram. Past 25 years always used ac/delco on my chevy trucks. Got a Frontier for the past year. I did 4 oil changes on
it. Factory filter, then one wix filter then decided to try fram ultra. Changed it the other day and I ended up with a doubled gasket losing 3 quarts of oil.
I always coat my gasket and tighten to specs. Just a fluke maybe but I am going back to either wix or oem.

I use the Ultra on my Frontier and never had a problem.

I learned a long time ago the "hard" way to always check the top of the old filter and the filter seating face.

I work part time in a lube shop and I have seen this from every single filter brand that’s come through. But, like others have mentioned, ALWAYS make sure the filter mount is clean before installing the new filter.

L8R,
Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back