Almost new genset with 100 hours

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: henni
This is a EU7000is and was used at a medical facilty that lost power during statewide outage. They paid 4400 for it and I would pay about 1k less.

Google it, they normally sell for about 4 and are on sale now for about 38, I wouldn’t pay 34 for a used one. 400.00 isn’t enough off IMO for the risk (will Honda Warranty it if something goes wrong?)

Sooo.... the total runtime was just 4 days ... y'all consider that in the extreme sense of "used" ?

It's likely fine. Bring a copy of the manual that calls for an oil change at 5 hours, etc. Try to negotiate down due to improper break in. Id start at $2500. They likely want it gone.

That's a ~$4000 portable generator to buy new considering sales tax, etc. Not sure why they paid $4400. 100hrs on one of these is nothing. Nice unit as Hondas always are, but man that's a ton of money for an air cooled gasoline powered portable, even at $3000 IMO.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Nice unit as Hondas always are, but man that's a ton of money for an air cooled gasoline powered portable, even at $3000 IMO.

What else do you prefer for $3000 that will run an entire house ? We ran last month 3 heat pumps, pool pump, 3 refrigerators, everything except water heater (next time that also included as we converted with a switch between 120v/240v) with a single Honda inverter.

This next purchase would just be a backup for next time plus always nice to be able to help neighbors.

The kind of hours on the oil is what matters.

Loafing along at just above minimum would have little effect on the oil. Running at near max load would put far more stress and heat on the engine. I would suspect that a hard pressed new engine would likely use enough oil to trigger the low oil shut down possibly before 100 hours which should have precipitated either adding oil or an oil change. If not, one would think that the generator wasn't pushed too hard.

My first use of the EF2000is resulted in a low oil shutdown at around 70 hours and that was with the generator running at 1/4 load - if that.

Originally Posted By: henni
Originally Posted By: JTK
Nice unit as Hondas always are, but man that's a ton of money for an air cooled gasoline powered portable, even at $3000 IMO.

What else do you prefer for $3000 that will run an entire house ? We ran last month 3 heat pumps, pool pump, 3 refrigerators, everything except water heater (next time that also included as we converted with a switch between 120v/240v) with a single Honda inverter.

This next purchase would just be a backup for next time plus always nice to be able to help neighbors.

Are you just running extension cords or is there an official plug-in and transfer switch setup? Either way, with all you need to run off it, it sounds like you need a unit along these lines. A natural gas standby unit would be better, but I'm assuming you don't have natural gas available. A liquid cooled diesel unit would burn less fuel for your needs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back