All versions of M1 HM now API SL Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went WM to pickup m1 hm 10w40 for the BMW and noticed that all the jugs where labeled API SL and no ACEA A3 approval noted.

Noted that the quarts still labeled with ACEA A3 rating.

Then I noted that the 5w30 version was SL rated, jugs and quarts.

Went to Pep Poys, same story, all HM verssions with the API SL rating only.

The 40wt and the 10w30 used to be api sm along with ACEA A3 rated.

Last edited:
According to the most recent (4/2010) PDS on their website, they are still ACEA rated.

I noticed the same thing on their packaging...as a marketer (for tires), here is my thought -- they are trying to steer BMW owners like you (and me) away from buying the HM oils and into buying the 0w-40 which is marked ACEA and BMW LL on the bottle.

Originally Posted By: Matt_N
According to the most recent (4/2010) PDS on their website, they are still ACEA rated.

I noticed the same thing on their packaging...as a marketer (for tires), here is my thought -- they are trying to steer BMW owners like you (and me) away from buying the HM oils and into buying the 0w-40 which is marked ACEA and BMW LL on the bottle.

If it was just a label / space issue, then why the API SL when it used to be API SM for the 10w30 and 10w40?

I do not believe it was ever rated SM. All their M1 HM oils were always SL, which is a good thing in my opinion. The last time I checked, the German Castrol 0W30 oil that is so well thought of by mang members of this board is still SL rated.

GC 0W-30 is ACEA A3 rated and M1 HM is ACEA A1/A5, which gives M1 a leg up for longer service intervals. (assuming both oils are ACEA 2008 qual'd). I actually respect the ACEA requirements more than API so I feel good about using the SL HM oils.

M1 HM 5w-30 also has a 3.3 HTHS compared to the 2.9 GC 0w-30.

Originally Posted By: HondaMan
Originally Posted By: Matt_N

If it was just a label / space issue, then why the API SL when it used to be API SM for the 10w30 and 10w40?

I believe M1 is producing the HM SL oils for those of us that do not care for the clean catalytic converter requirements and prefer a more robust oil for better engine protection.

Originally Posted By: JasonBraswell
GC 0W-30 is ACEA A3 rated and M1 HM is ACEA A1/A5, which gives M1 a leg up for longer service intervals. (assuming both oils are ACEA 2008 qual'd). I actually respect the ACEA requirements more than API so I feel good about using the SL HM oils.

GC Ow30 HTHS is 3.5 or more, or it would not be ACEA A3, duh.

M1 HM oils could not be SM, because they all exceed maximum P content. They have P that conforms to SL, which is why I prefer them for my '02 Camaro and '85 Corvette. HM 10w30 conforms to ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4 according to a data sheet that I have dated 11/2010.

Only the HM 5w30 is A1/A5,the 10w30 and 10w40 are still A3/B3/B4.

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Not according to this PDS duh

Originally Posted By: friendly_jacek

Not according to this PDS duh

You've been victimized by the infamous Castrol "datasheet", in which they just list the minimum acceptable number that the API allows. If you look closely at the heading on the HTHS row, you will notice that it has the qualifier "min", and 2.9 is the minimum HTHS viscosity allowed by the API for a 30-weight. I think Castrol is nuts for advertising their oils this way, as it makes people think they're blending to barely get by.

"Castrol: The Oil That's OK In So Many Different Ways."

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobFout

Only the HM 5w30 is A1/A5,the 10w30 and 10w40 are still A3/B3/B4.

what is the differenvce between a1/a5 and a3/b3/b4?

I finally received word from my colleague.

This was a 'Katrina' style supply issue but VERY minor and having only to do with specific formulation supply.

The M1 10w40 HM version available now should be API SN and ACEA A3.

The SL only version I mentioned was only pushed once and should be gone 'quickly'.

I've yet to see the SN version.

The 10w40 HM version currently is SN

Originally Posted By: kemo

It was SL about 2 weeks ago at my local WM when I checked.

So I currently use Valvoline MaxLife 10w-30, SM, rated.

I have a 5 qt MaxLife SN waiting for the next OCI ( sometime in the next few days as time/weather permit).......but I couldn't resist picking up Mobil 1 HM and a Mobil filter for less than $20 ( a combination of Autozone's sale and a store credit I had to use) a couple of weeks ago.

So here's my question:

If I use the M1 HM, and it is only SL rated is that a step back from the MaxLife SN rated oil? Or will the M1 be a better oil as it is "FULL" synthetic?

Originally Posted By: Towncivilian
Originally Posted By: kemo

It was SL about 2 weeks ago at my local WM when I checked.

This is exactly what I was mentioning regarding the note I got from my colleague at XOM.
The API SL ONLY version was pushed out briefly while making ready for the API SN version.
I now have an API SN version in hand. (Walmart)
The shelf had half SL only and half SN / ACEA A3/B3/B4.
Again to note, this is for M1 HM 10W40.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back