All My Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's all the filters I've used so far in the first six oil changes in my F250.
Out of all this I haven't seen much of a difference with 5K OC's
The XG may have a tiny less cold tick on start up but it changes from day to day.
So which filter should I try next 🤔🤔🤔??????

From left to right is the first to last oil change

F024ABE7-BFD6-4C2D-BD82-634F8396F3D5.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
If it's a spin-on, I prefer the dealer serviced look and would go with Motorcraft.

If it's a spin on 🤣🤣
That's funny

It's a big block 6.2L V8
Ain't no cartridge filter on this beast !!

Last edited:
I will never use a FL820S again (and probably never another Purolator made filter overall).

As for what to use next, for a 5000 mile interval, just stick an orange Fram on it and call it a day.
A Wix/NAPA Gold is another good option, Mobil 1 is also good, but a little overpriced.
If not for the Supertech ST2 being a combo valve design, I would recommend that also.

Originally Posted by blupupher
I will never use a FL820S again (and probably never another Purolator made filter overall).

As for what to use next, for a 5000 mile interval, just stick an orange Fram on it and call it a day.
A Wix/NAPA Gold is another good option, Mobil 1 is also good, but a little overpriced.
If not for the Supertech ST2 being a combo valve design, I would recommend that also.

^^^^^^

I agree.... No Motorcraft 820... And I am glad I never used the 820 on my car. I am very glad I used the Fram Ultra xg-2 on my 2008 Ford Fusion... Which I see here... XG-2 all the way.

I've cut open the last few MC 820's
No issues

It's a $4 dollar filter at China Mart

Not a bad deal for the money

Last edited:
Originally Posted by kstanf150

No issues

Lots of preconceived notions on this forum based on third hand evidence from a brother in law's 2nd cousin who once had a bad experience with product X. Got to ask yourself, would Ford use a filter that might cause warranty issues in their engines?

Funny all the hate towards the Ford 820S oil filter.

We've used one on a 96 4.6 Crown Victoria with 350,000 miles with no issues.

But hey, whatever you want to do is up to you.

No issues

Lots of preconceived notions on this forum based on third hand evidence from a brother in law's 2nd cousin who once had a bad experience with product X. Got to ask yourself, would Ford use a filter that might cause warranty issues in their engines?

NEVER !!!

Am I wrong remembering you cut and post the MC 820 on here and it was jacked up with holes in it ???

I know for a 1000% fact the 820s have been documented on here with holes aka failures... Numerous I might add...

In contrast to the MC 400s which have all looked great every time when cut open here...

Originally Posted by bbhero

Am I wrong remembering you cut and post the MC 820 on here and it was jacked up with holes in it ???

I know for a 1000% fact the 820s have been documented on here with holes aka failures... Numerous I might add...

Yep, guess a few here haven't seen all those threads. And those were first hand reports from members here, not hearsay from a friend of a freind from the distant cousin's dad.

Not perceived, experienced personally. And seen many posted here as well.

Ford does not care if the media tears (interestingly the OEM from factory filter (Wix or Champ made) is NOT the same filter (made by Purolator) you buy at the parts counter).
A tear in filter media will not cause a failure within the warranty period.
In truthfulness, it may never be an issue, but the point is that Purolator has been putting out a filter that has a know failure rate higher than others, with contact made by members here (me included), yet has not acknowledged or addressed the issue (although I have not seen any recently made Purolators with tears, so may be fixed). This lack of response and 5+ year issue turns me off of them.
If it had been 1 or 2 posted here, yea, it is a fluke, but every one I have seen posted here (20+ over the years) and personally had have had a tear in the same spot, on either side of the seam where the pleat spacing is very wide.
Fram had (and still does have) a lot of hate because of issues 20 years ago and a brother in law's 2nd cousin who knew a guy type stories..., yet makes some of the best filters out there. All the while Purolator still has a good rep despite the tearing media (as well as the ADV slices, although that probably has no effect on filtration).

Puro/MC. The handful I cut open new ? On all of them media tore like a sheet of Xerox paper. You can't do that on other filters.

Just bought an XG2 for son's F150.

I'm done with Purolator too. I'm on the fence with Wix, especially after reading this thread this morning, Possible Wix failure although I'm inclined to give them the benefit of the doubt. And I have a pretty good supply of Fram Ultra filters on hand to see if there are more Wix related problems.

What about a Mobil 1 or Bosch ?

As I said above, M1 is decent, but expensive for a synthetic blend. Sometimes you can get a good deal with the combo deals from parts stores.
Bosch is a Purolator made filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back