Alcohol And Drug Addictions.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have an addictive personality. All I can say is that I really feel for those who struggle with addictions. I wish you the best.

Originally Posted by CT8
The cost of drugs and alcohol to society is mind boggling.It is not a victimless crime..

Problem is, the war on drugs wasn't free either. Lots of people locked up on the taxpayer's dime.

Complex issue. Doesn't have an easy answer. I certainly don't have a good answer.

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Much to my surprise he said alcohol addictions were the hardest to treat. He said he won't even consider taking on an alcoholic as a patient unless he/she is actively involved in AA. The success rate IIRC is about 20%.

That is pretty much what I saw back in the 80's. That month treatment facility was like a revolving door. From famous people to the ordinary person. It was equally devastating lives. Family and friends also. My observation was the success rate was low unless the person really wanted to change and was very active in support groups like AA.

Originally Posted by MONKEYMAN
Much to my surprise he said alcohol addictions were the hardest to treat. He said he won't even consider taking on an alcoholic as a patient unless he/she is actively involved in AA. The success rate IIRC is about 20%.

That is pretty much what I saw back in the 80's. That month treatment facility was like a revolving door. From famous people to the ordinary person. It was equally devastating lives. Family and friends also. My observation was the success rate was low unless the person really wanted to change and was very active in support groups like AA.

Sobriety is for those who want it rather than just those who need it.

The common ways drug addicts make money is

1. People they know giving them money

2. Holding a sign begging for it or begging for money at a gas station, store..

3. Stealing. My sister had friends & classmates in college that would go to a store, text her a pic and size of clothing they wanted to buy cheap, knowing it was stolen.

4. Men who buy sex.

I have a very good customer who is a psychiatrist. We go back over 35 years now and I consider him one of my best customers, and a friend. When I work for him we can talk for hours while I'm working. I asked him if he treated addicts, and which were the hardest addictions to treat. Much to my surprise he said alcohol addictions were the hardest to treat. He said he won't even consider taking on an alcoholic as a patient unless he/she is actively involved in AA. The success rate IIRC is about 20%.

Actually, I dealt with a few psychiatrists as well as a patient. And they also didn't have a lot of hope for an alcoholic who has co-occuring disorders. Although it is somewhat common. I imagine the Dr. got tired of patients lying to him every day.
lol.gif

Originally Posted by skyactiv
The common ways drug addicts make money is
1. People they know giving them money2. Holding a sign begging for it or begging for money at a gas station, store..
3. Stealing. My sister had friends & classmates in college that would go to a store, text her a pic and size of clothing they wanted to buy cheap, knowing it was stolen.
4. Men who buy sex.

I agree but you did miss one. Men who stick up the drug spots for money and drugs.

^^How much money do you think that really makes? I don't consider it an easy job either. I never had patience for that nonsense. I always took a ore direct approach.

Originally Posted by Willclark

^^How much money do you think that really makes? I don't consider it an easy job either. I never had patience for that nonsense. I always took a ore direct approach.

Here they make about $40/hr doing that and they work shifts..

Originally Posted by Willclark
I have a very good customer who is a psychiatrist. We go back over 35 years now and I consider him one of my best customers, and a friend. When I work for him we can talk for hours while I'm working. I asked him if he treated addicts, and which were the hardest addictions to treat. Much to my surprise he said alcohol addictions were the hardest to treat. He said he won't even consider taking on an alcoholic as a patient unless he/she is actively involved in AA. The success rate IIRC is about 20%.

Actually, I dealt with a few psychiatrists as well as a patient. And they also didn't have a lot of hope for an alcoholic who has co-occuring disorders. Although it is somewhat common. I imagine the Dr. got tired of patients lying to him every day.
lol.gif

He did say many were very creative liars, and functioned for decades at their jobs and in society going undetected. As Donald mentioned the key is they really want to be helped. Many were forced upon him by family members which is probably why the success rate is so low. This is what prompted him to screen them and be certain they truly wanted to be helped and were active in AA. Even though the money for treating them is good, he could make just as much actually helping someone that wanted to be helped, vs. someone who was forced to be helped. That makes total sense to me, and made his success rate dealing with them higher.

I've been in AA for 17 years now and life is good. Do whatever you must to ride your self of the self imposed prison. Get in a group of people who are fighting the fight to win. Ed

I have been in AA for 32 years. I used to say most of my friends are dead or in prison. Well, now I say they are dead.
I am one of the lucky ones, I can tell you that. The success rate for alcoholism is very low.
This is a disease. Left untreated it kills and will probably take many innocent people along with you.

For those of you who think locking up people works, I can can tell you this:
Arrest and jails scared the sh.. outta me; cops probably saved my life. But that's just me.
Jails and prisons damage people, which fuels addiction. Damage, oftentimes beyond repair.
And sentences are unfairly handed out to people of color and the poor. Hardly justice.
There are no easy answers.

It takes what it takes. AA worked for me. If it doesn't work for you try something else.
I can tell you, as addict/alcoholics, if each year did not get better, we would not stay sober.
We always need a fix. Today my fix is life. I wish you luck.

Personally I think the addicts should be sterilized. My wife deals with poor addicted babies with absolute zeroes for parents.

Let them kill themselves or help themselves. However bringing the kids into your world of garbage is the meanest thing you can do and hurts society. Prison time does little for these people.

I've worked in behavioral health and the chemically dependent people are nothing like what the popular media and politicians present. It's a terrible affliction and unfortunately the recovery is not widely available and is quite a physically painful process.

We tend to blame them and lock them up instead of helping to overcome and continue to be successful after recovery.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Personally I think the addicts should be sterilized. My wife deals with poor addicted babies with absolute zeroes for parents.

Let them kill themselves or help themselves. However bringing the kids into your world of garbage is the meanest thing you can do and hurts society. Prison time does little for these people.

Starbucks now installing sharps containers in restrooms so nasty addicts have a place to dispose their used Hepatitis and HIV+ needles.
smirk.gif

Inclusion is sooo wonderful to us non filthy drug addicts.

...¨

I have alcoholism in my family and at a young age decided I wasn't going to drink or smoke, etc. Preferred not to go down that road or test the waters. Addiction is one heck of a thing to overcome.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice

Starbucks now installing sharps containers in restrooms so nasty addicts have a place to dispose their used Hepatitis and HIV+ needles.
smirk.gif

...¨

Starbucks is trying to protect you from dirty needles.

Originally Posted by JeffKeryk
Originally Posted by Mr Nice

smirk.gif

...¨

Starbucks is trying to protect you from dirty needles.

Huh, last time I saw a sharps container I assumed it was for diabetics.

Get your $6 Cinnamon Cloud Macchiato and while waiting for your beverage you can shoot some heroin in Starbucks restroom.

Sick.... Very Sick & Nasty

But I guest this is what voters wanted in places like Seattle and San Francisco....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back