Aladdin "Stanley" vacuum bottle

I have an old vacuum bottle that I decided to use again. It has been a while since I've used it. I've had it since the 80's. It is made in Tennessee. I always preheat or prechill the bottle before filling it with the corresponding fluid.
Today I poured boiling water and emptied it and quickly poured in tea. Sealed it and capped in. 4 hours later in the office the tea is lukewarm at best.
Is there a better option in 2023?

I had an old stainless steel "thermos" bottle but it wasn't vacuum.
It burned my hand as I filled it with boiling water as it conducted heat, not insulated it.
I sawed it open...WELL BEFORE BITOG...and a fine black powder spilled out.
It had an insulation between the layers which became a powder so fine it stained a concrete floor.

I would suspect the vacuum has been broken. I have a Stanley thermos (made in Nashville TN if I recollect). I've been using it daily since 1994? It keeps my coffee drinkably hot from 5am until noonish every day. I think I paid about $20 for it (before my kids were born). I do not know what year, but somewhere along the way, Stanley closed their USA plant and went to China. You can still buy them new at Walmart, but they're worthless.
IF mine needed replacement, I'd go on eBay and search "Vintage Stanley Thermos." On the GOOD ones, they'll post a picture of the bottom stamped "made in USA" and they cost today more than when new.
I have 25+ years experience drinking hot coffee every morning, but that means nothing in today's world. I have no use for Yeti. My two cents.

A friend had "The old green one with the narrower cup".
'Twas so long ago, it had to have been USA built.
One day his coffee tasted foul. Decades of coffee finally ate through the inner bottle.
He reached down with fine rod and found the old steel was Swiss cheese.
Oh well.

I have both the Stanley wide mouth short unit with utensils and the tall Thermos. Both seem to work quite well.

The taller the better, as most of the heat is lost through the cap area.

I thought they were the standard for which all others were judged. Years ago I remember my parents had a glass lined Thermos bottle. Worked great (had a silvery finish on the outside that kept heat in) but there was always the worry that the glass might break. The glass could be replaced, but it sucked if it did break and whatever was in there might have pieces of broken glass.

I had a Nissan stainless steel vacuum bottle. That thing worked great although it was small. That was the classic one that was still made in Japan at the time, although I think newer ones are made elsewhere (Thailand?). But it was really nice looking. I used it for coffee, but then it made it difficult to use anything else since the coffee smell didn't go away. I was able to get the odor out using oven cleaner.

Recently purchased a Thermos Brand linked below. When preheated it will keep fresh coffee hot drinkable for about 18 hours. If filled to the top and not opened for 24 hours the coffee is still about 120°

Been very happy with this product.
I paid $30 in March on sale. They are on sale several day a year.

Last edited:
I've been pretty impressed with our Yeti products.
Recently received a gift from Ford of a 22 oz Yeti Rambler. A $7 - 18 oz OzarK Trails mug from Wally does a much better job at keeping smaller quantities of hot liquid HOT. Coffee is below tongue temp in the Yeti in about 3 hours. The Ozark Trails will push 6 hours of decent heat retention. IME YMMV

I think a realistic goal is to fill your container with fresh hot coffee in the early morning, be able to sip hot coffee during the morning, and at noon the coffee is still hot enough to enjoy. I’m not interested in keeping it hot into the afternoon.

I think a realistic goal is to fill your container with fresh hot coffee in the early morning, be able to sip hot coffee during the morning, and at noon the coffee is still hot enough to enjoy. I’m not interested in keeping it hot into the afternoon.
I tested my Yeti, filling it full at 8:30 then taking temps through the morning. The temp going in from the pot was 153 F.

Here are times and temps.

8:30 153
9:30 143
10:15 125
11:30 115
1:00 93

It’s good enough for my 10:00 coffee break. By 11:30 if was kind of luke warm. Good enough. I won’t be trading the Yeti in for a Hydro Flask. :D

Back