Airforce 1 1958-1998

The premise of On the Beach was that the US and Russia fought it out but neither bothered to nuke Australia. Spoiler Alert: The radiation finally made it to Australia but it took months.

ICBMs and SLBMs have sufficient range to target any place on the Earth when launched from any other place. There is no "safe haven" in a nuclear war. Also Americans would be rather miffed if the President fled to Australia rather than deal with the situation at home.
How’s he going to “deal with the situation at home” if he’s dead?

The idea is not to abdicate and live in exile in the southern hemisphere. Rather, to utilize the assets and capabilities of the presidency to escape the clear and present danger until the threat is over, all the while directing the American response.

You don’t think theres a plan in place for this? 😆

The 707 was a fine aircraft. A retired Eastern Airlines pilot once told me, flying it was like driving a large luxury sedan. A pure pleasure according to him.

The 707 was a fine aircraft. A retired Eastern Airlines pilot once told me, flying it was like driving a large luxury sedan. A pure pleasure according to him.
The 747 is a wonderful airplane from a pilot perspective.

Good control balance, great feel, responsive to input. It is a great handling jet. It also goes much faster than most airplanes, and the four engine configuration allows for lots of options in the event of a mechanical problem.

It remains my favorite airliner to fly - if we still had it, that’s what I would be flying.

The premise of On the Beach was that the US and Russia fought it out but neither bothered to nuke Australia. Spoiler Alert: The radiation finally made it to Australia but it took months.
I haven't seen the movie, but it's said that author Nevil Shute was upset by the liberties the movie took w.r.t. the book.

The book was a good read.

Here's a retired Air Force One 707 at the Museum of Flight (near Seattle) in 2007. I wish I'd taken a shot of the tail number.
101_0133.JPG

101_0138.JPG

101_0139.JPG

I’m surprised they chose the 747 for the next Air Force One but I guess there are still over 400 still flying so maintenance is not an issue.

I‘m not surprised since 4 engines are better than 2.

787 AF One would be an interesting aircraft.

How many times did the current AF1’s take fuel in flight … ?
I‘m aware of the doomsday scenario of continuing flight - but don’t know if it carries the same wisdom these days … Seems there were back and forths that folks here would not be aware of …
In the commercial setup - the range of 800i is not that much more …
Anyone know with these vs the current ?
It's never been refueled. Even in practice, the E-4B is used.

Here's a retired Air Force One 707 at the Museum of Flight (near Seattle) in 2007. I wish I'd taken a shot of the tail number.
View attachment 190767
View attachment 190769
View attachment 190770
that's the one The OP's Pic is of.
Tail Number 86970, known as "SAM970"

and that interior looks Pretty similar( and just as boxed in... enough so that This "American Sized" fellow, had to shimmy sideways down the Aisle...) to SAM2600* that I've been through @ "The National Museum of The United States Air Force" Just outside Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, OH... and I do mean JUST off base.

The plane that amongst it's trips, Flew JFK to/From Dallas in '63, that LBJ was sworn in upon (where they took that photo of him being sworn in, standing next to Jackie, that has been in every history text book published since), Carried LBJ to Vietnam, Nixon to China and Moscow, Kissinger to Paris, etc....

Last edited:
You arent kidding. You better be on the thin side to make it down the aisle of SAM 26000 comfortably. I've made this journey a dozen times, will be back up to Wright-Patt very soon to do it again. My office shuts down between Christmas and New Years and my wife is usually working at least a few days that week, so I head up there as soon as they open in the morning in the middle of the week, and end up having most of the museum to myself for an hour or so before any real number of people start trickling in. And even when they do its usually a very quiet week to be there. First thing, I always head right to the fourth hangar to the AF1's. Being completely alone, wondering around in silence on a retired Air Force One is a nice feeling for an airplane nerd.

Af1.jpg

Back