Airbag light on

Status
Not open for further replies.
1997 Avalon 1mzfe v6 engine. I had to remove the dash to replace the AC expansion valve and part of the process was removing the airbags. I have it all back together and reconnected the special yellow airbag fittings and now the airbag warning light is on. Is there some type of special reset procedure? I have disconnected the battery and waited 10 minutes or so to no avail. All other components are working fine....

Look into "techstream" knockoffs on ebay... $20 for a dongle and software of dubious licensing.

You can reset by jumping the TC and ab terminals to ground for a second, KOEO. Do a google search for the detailed procedure. I reset the air bag light on a 2000 Solara this way in less than 2 min for free.

sometimes there is a shunt in the connector and there is a special procedure to re connect it IE pushing a tab down while inserting the connector.

This is OBDII I gather, I am curious if my cheapie scanner can clear an air bag code.

Jumping it as stated is what I would do if I had no scanner.

What about Torque Pro with a cellphone and a Bluetooth OBDII dongle... I really need a better scanner soon for the stuff I plan on doing.

How soon will you be coming to Alabama?
lol.gif

No expert here, but what I've learned:

If you uncouple and recouple an air bag system connector without disconnecting the battery, it will set a code (I cycled a connector under the seat before learning this).

OBD2 is federally mandated for emissions and basically covers the status of the engine and emissions systems. This is what the basic scanners read. ABS, airbag, etc. are proprietary and need a special ($$$) scanner. If you get a scanner, I'd make sure it covers your specific vehicle.

I had an airbag problem that turned out to be the clockspring, apparently the weakest link in a typical airbag system. I replaced the clockspring but still had the airbag light. Not wanting to spend the time and money ($100) to have a dealer reset it, I went to a local body shop that had done work for us earlier. The owner had a mechanic reset the codes and told me "no charge". I slipped the mechanic a $20 and everyone was happy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back