Air Purifiers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone have any experience with these? We don't have forced air in our house so I can't just use a good furnace filter. I'm going to put them in the kids bedrooms as the one is a bit more sniffly than what he should be from the colds he brings home. I am trying to reduce the cats indoor time as well but he doesn't seem to be directly allergic to them, otherwise they might have "run away" already.

First thing I would do is bring the kid for allergy testing and find out exactly what's causing it.
Might be as simple as washing liquid or softener and changing those is cheaper than purchasing a decent air purifier.
Don't lessen the cats indoor time, outdoors is not a place that provides longevity for cats.
06.gif

From my time working in home air quality I can say that IQAir makes the absolute best purifiers on the market. They are pricey, though.

98% of irritants are smaller than 0.1 microns, so anything with inefficient filtration or a non-sealed system will just stir dust up.

Stay away from ionizing air purifiers. The ionized particles will then stick to surfaces to become airborne later.

Your first line of defense should be a quality, sealed HEPA vacuum cleaner so that you catch most of the dirt on the front end. The only two vacuums I would recommend to allergy sufferers would be either Bosch or Miele canisters, with my preference being Miele for design, build quality, filtration, etc. Nothing bagless, nothing upright and nothing that is not a 100% closed system.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:
purifier on a budget (i think already posted by some member here somewhere):
one of the big /square ones fans
one 20x20 house air filter (the deeper, the better)
some zip ties
should not run you more than 15-30 $canadian

change filter when plugged.

also check/ trhougly clean your vacuum. then use it till' house is clean.

i remember you have a small farm, so kid should have grown with plenty of immunity to animals around.

Our vacuum is due for replacement soon so I'll upgrade to a good one. Is a $200 hepa desktop filter going to do anything in a bed room?

I considered the furnace filter on the box fan but my wife nixxed that idea, she doesn't appreciate macgyvering things as much as I do.

I bought a whirlpool whispure and love it. I put it on the automatic setting and let it do its thing. It has really cut down on the dust and pet dander. The replacement hepa filters are spendy but I buy a aftermarket set from crucial air on amazon for 1/2 price. Had it over a year now and have had no problems. Have changed the hepa filter once and the carbon prefilters a few times.

We have a Kenmore 85501 air purifier in our bedroom that we bought many years ago. It stays on automatic mode all the time, and it seems to work well. It has a three layer filter in it. First layer is a coarse mesh which catches hair and dust and large particles, then there's a pleated HEPA filter, then there's a layer of carbon "balls" through which the air passes.

http://www.amazon.com/Kenmore-85501-EnviroSense-True-Cleaner/dp/B0026CCW5Q/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

It does have dust and odor sensors, and they DO work. The fan spins up in the presence of any odor...whether the cats just used the litter box or I'm putting on after shave. The dust sensor seems to work, too. Sometimes merely walking by the unit causes the dust meter to elevate and the fan to spin up.

It's amazing how much stuff that filter collects. You think your house is clean...

Additionally, and this is more of a long-term solution, but carpeting in a house REALLY traps dust and other particles to which we humans can be sensitive. If you lay down wood floors in phases as carpeting needs to be replaced, you may find that you have fewer runny noses.

Our whole house is 3/4" wood flooring and ceramic tile. Except for the bedrooms. My wife wants wood floors in the bedrooms bad, but I'm hesitant for now. I'm sure she'll win in the long run.

I've had an ionizing filter on the furnace for over 25 years. Very effective and easy to take care off. I did have to put in a new transformer after 20 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back