Air Hammer

First, figure out if you want .401 or .498 shank.

If you don't know, figure out if you want to spend hundreds or closer to a single hundred.

Torque Test Channel has a test of some. There was a HF Chief (surely this is racist and somehow MAGA extremist by now??) that was identical to....Matco? or Mac? I don't recall and apparently don't care enough to link you to the vid....search will get you there.

If you watch ebay you can get a PH3050B in good condition for reasonable $$. It's not necessarily THE best but it's proven.

There's also an IR that's almost as good as the tool truck stuff for a fraction of the cost....also shown in the TTC vid IIRC

TL;DR: spend a little for real good or spend a lot for really, really good. And YT reviews are your friend ;)

I have the CP717 .498 shank, it was/is expensive the Astro 4980 hits as hard but the trigger control on the CP is much better. If you work with rusted junk most of the time the CP is worth the price of entry otherwise the Astro is a great buy. The .401 shank and short barrels are too weak if dealing with a lot of rust or larger parts.

Last edited:
Not bad for $238 but now at $535 it cost almost as much as CP717 and twice as much as a 4980 which both are in another universe for control and power.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
Not bad for $238 but now at $535 it cost almost as much as CP717 and twice as much as a 4980 which both are in another universe for control and power.
There are some "astro thor" available too. $293+free ship.

1694390498373.png

video

Last edited:
I've found that Snap-On air tools are junk. My pick would be a Chicago Pneumatic air hammer.

You obviously have never used the specific tool I mentioned. While I agree with you to a point about snap ons air tools, the big exceptions are their 3/8” air rachet, and the air hammer. No other hammer from any other brand I have used hits harder (excluding the BIG air hammers) than the one I mentioned. I have tried many.

I am not a fan of their air impact guns. I use the IR guns.

There are some "astro thor" available too. $293+free ship.

View attachment 177876

video

Put the 717 on 150 psi and it is right in the middle of the Astro models, but like I said before trigger control on the 717 is amazing.

Tigger control on the ph3050b is pretty darn good. I purchased mine used for peanuts.

@D60 is spot-on with his comments.

Yep low money the chief from HF is good. If no budget the CP717. If medium budget but want big power the Thor is pretty bad ass. I have the SO the matco and the Thor. Thor doesn’t come out much but heck it’s got some juice

Last edited:
Back