AGM batteries in a pickup

I wonder if the reason for that is the glass mat technology has a higher resistance because a glass mat is a non conductor, and a flooded battery has the electrolyte in near 100% contact with the plates?

Don't think that is it.

AGM tend to have a lower internal resistance.

But AGM allows the plates to be closer together, no risk of shortages if plates bend in use. the plates can also be thinner so you can have more surface area. I suspect that's why they have a slightly higher voltage and can have a higher capacity for the size.

stopped by one of my nearby Walmarts that has stocked AGM in the past...note that in the ChicagoLand suburban area there are at least 5 somewhat near to me and I've only seen this one have the AGMs in stock...I also note that my Costco only recently has shown the proper AGM Interstate for a car I now own (and the car I sold recently) when they never have before...

I took this photo yesterday and also noted that this battery and the Everstart Maxx batteries that I looked at show Clarios and not Johnson Controls Inc (as it should since Johnson Controls sold their battery business)...posters in other areas of the USA have reported other makers of Walmart batteries where they live like East Penn...

I also noted that although the EverStart Platinum AGM batteries have a 4 year free replacement warranty, the Interstate version from Costco only shows a 3 year (36 month) warranty...

9aryIQaRSr2Wb7BNA39kSA.jpg

stopped by one of my nearby Walmarts that has stocked AGM in the past...note that in the ChicagoLand suburban area there are at least 5 somewhat near to me and I've only seen this one have the AGMs in stock...I also note that my Costco only recently has shown the proper AGM Interstate for a car I now own (and the car I sold recently) when they never have before...

I took this photo yesterday and also noted that this battery and the Everstart Maxx batteries that I looked at show Clarios and not Johnson Controls Inc (as it should since Johnson Controls sold their battery business)...posters in other areas of the USA have reported other makers of Walmart batteries where they live like East Penn...

I also noted that although the EverStart Platinum AGM batteries have a 4 year free replacement warranty, the Interstate version from Costco only shows a 3 year (36 month) warranty...

View attachment 84230
Two of these are in my pickup.

View attachment 84230
Put a new EverStart Maxx in the Tahoe today - this was the only H7 that Walmart had … considering what a pain changing it was - been nice to have had the Platinum option - paid $180 and will not go back for $12

As for comments on cheap batteries ? You will not get to fill caps with all the stuff that cocoon a battery in many of today‘s engine bays … This was a perfect fit when securing - and snapping the upper bus bar assembly on top.

CE31AC04-62DC-4CA0-A88E-C31129334897.jpeg
D2DE65E4-19B9-47E3-9750-921C766FE2CC.jpeg

Last edited:
Put a new EverStart Maxx in the Tahoe today - this was the only H7 that Walmart had … considering what a pain changing it was - been nice to have had the Platinum option - paid $180 and will not go back for $12

As for comments on cheap batteries ? You will not get to fill caps with all the stuff that cocoon a battery in many of today‘s engine bays … This was a perfect fit when securing - and snapping the upper bus bar assembly on top.

View attachment 85834View attachment 85835
So 4WD appears to be from TX and this Walmart Everstart battery is mfg by Clarios (old JCI). The ones I have seen in NY, MA and DE are all mfg by East Penn (which I think makes a better battery).

The truck has an AGM and based on a previous post and my own research with GM's charging methods it will never be above 80% as well so overcharging isn't an issue. The VW should have one from the factory for the Start/Stop system as it is uses the starter motor and not a belt driven device like some others.

The warranty alone is enough for me to do it.,5 years free replacement sounds great considering the batteries in PA get hit hard in both summer & winter. I'll take all the help I can get.

So I just checked, the battery in my BMW (trunk mounted) is original from 2011...I checked because on really cold sub 20 degree days I notice a slower crank, but that is pretty impressive. Its a 335d so it has the very large AGM, get driven almost daily.
Pretty impressed, will probably replace with another BMW battery.

5 years is hard to get. I think the high falutin’ agms at batteries plus might have that, which I believe are rebranded northstar, but you gotta pay.
The plain Jane AGM batteries like from Walmart can be charged with same settings as a flooded battery. But get into the fancy AGMd like Northstar, Odyssey, and Optimum and you need a special setting to charge them.

Back