AGM batteries in a pickup

I was reading a couple of articles on using AGM batteries in a passenger vehicle and they were talking about the alternator not having the proper charging characteristics for an AGM if the vehicle came with a normal flooded cell battery. But they did not specifically say normal AGM or spiral wrap AGM or Odessey. My Battery Minder says to charge normal AGM on same setting as flooded cell but it has different settings for spiral wrap AGM and gel and Odessey.

I am assuming the charging for normal AGM and flooded cell are pretty close.

So can a normal AGM replace a flooded cell and only need to think about the spiral wrap AGM or Odessey or gel?

My charger says flooded or AGM on the selector. I thought they needed different charging profiles as AGM might have a bit higher voltage and need higher voltage to complete a charge cycle vs a flooded cell.

Its been a long time since I've been on the tech side of AGM batteries, but as I recall, the physical configuration of the plates doesn't change the charging profile. AGM was AGM and required a slightly higher charge voltage over a flooded battery.

AGM batteries charge at a lower voltage than flooded batteries. However, AGM shows a higher voltage when testing them than a flooded battery, which is my guess why people assume they need higher voltage while charging.

I'm a semi mechanic. Newer semis have been coming with AGM while older ones came new with flooded. We are only to replace the batteries with the same technology the truck came with new.

Unless you can program the vehicle to charge the battery type between the different technologies, stick with what your vehicle came with new.

I think some newer Ford and many newer German vehicles require battery coding to maximize battery life.

What needs to gain in popularity is EFB type batteries.

For all intents and purposes an AGM can replace a flooded battery in an automotive charging system, but it's not ideal. At higher temperatures they can be overcharged on long drives; they typically specify a lower absorption and float voltage than a standard flooded battery. This becomes more apparent at higher temperatures, ideally a charging system that compensates for temperature should be used.

Why would anybody spend 3 times as much for an AGM? If an average battery lasts 5 years, is an agm going to last 3 times as long?
Most batteries here last 3 years. My AGM's have lasted 90 months then 72 months. Bit they fail with zero warning.

The fact that the cables do not corrode is good enough for me to buy them.

Where are you spending 3x for an agm battery? Local battery place sells new Deka agm for $130.

Most batteries here last 3 years. My AGM's have lasted 90 months then 72 months. Bit they fail with zero warning.

The fact that the cables do not corrode is good enough for me to buy them.

Where are you spending 3x for an agm battery? Local battery place sells new Deka agm for $130.

Northstar AGM TPPL batteries are $300-$380.

At Batteries Plus the X-2 batteries are in the same price range.

A East Penn AGM weighs 44 pounds in a group 24f battery case. The Northstar AGM TPPL group 24f battery weighs 57 pounds. And has a 5 year free replacement warranty too.

For all intents and purposes an AGM can replace a flooded battery in an automotive charging system, but it's not ideal. At higher temperatures they can be overcharged on long drives; they typically specify a lower absorption and float voltage than a standard flooded battery. This becomes more apparent at higher temperatures, ideally a charging system that compensates for temperature should be used.

A lot of current charging systems keep the batteries around 80% charged, or what they think is 80% charged. Sounds difficult to overcharge an AGM in such a system.

A lot of current charging systems keep the batteries around 80% charged, or what they think is 80% charged. Sounds difficult to overcharge an AGM in such a system.
Very true, my post shouldn’t be taken as a blanket statement as charging systems differ from vehicle to vehicle. Some are ‘dumb’ systems, some not, charge characteristics vary wildly between something built today and 30-40 years ago.

I was merely trying to point out the differences and what can happen.

FWIW, I’m using AGM in one of my vehicles designed for flooded with no apparent issues so far but the jury is still out whether I’ll get a longer lifespan from it.

Comparing to the $55 Walmart battery.
That is the bottom of the barrel battery. They work, but don't last for more than a couple years. Any other flooded battery at Wal-Mart is $100 - $130. I think the difference is the warranty and how they test out.

Northstar AGM TPPL batteries are $300-$380.

At Batteries Plus the X-2 batteries are in the same price range.

A East Penn AGM weighs 44 pounds in a group 24f battery case. The Northstar AGM TPPL group 24f battery weighs 57 pounds. And has a 5 year free replacement warranty too.
North Star is built by Odyssey (I believe) and is almost as good, one of the best batteries in the market and Deka follows.

I put an AGM in my Silverado 3 years ago. The only problem I've had is when we got to -18*F last winter, it didn't want to start the truck. Once I jumped the truck and let it idle/run for 2-3 hours, didn't have another problem after that.

Have replaced a few Honda batteries with Lithium, very light weight and works fine on cars,generators,off road etc

How does one go about checking to see if the charging system of a vehicle is compatible with AGM batteries? For the record, on my CTEK charger, it states that Optima/AGM batteries should be charged with higher voltage than the flooded batteries.

Back