Aftermarket radio question

I'm well past the age of drowning out the neighbors with my car radio but I find it very interesting that my current radio is rather.... not loud. Basically, once I turn the volume up past about 20 (can go to 30 or 35 in arbitrary number scale) the volume does not change at all. Can't find any settings for a quiet mode so I don't think that is what it is. Its less loud than my OE stereo was. Otherwise sounds great and very happy.

Running some older hardware.
Stereo: JVC KW-V340BT
Speakers: JBL GX8628 6x8 around

Anybody know why?

Clipping? The built-in Amp just can't push the speakers past a certain point?

Its clean sound. As I keep turning the volume up it just stops increasing in volume.
Stereo is spec'ed at 22Wx4 (50wx4 peak). Speakers are rated well above that, 60WRMS/180Wpeak with 93db sensitivity.

I'm well past the age of drowning out the neighbors with my car radio but I find it very interesting that my current radio is rather.... not loud. Basically, once I turn the volume up past about 20 (can go to 30 or 35 in arbitrary number scale) the volume does not change at all. Can't find any settings for a quiet mode so I don't think that is what it is. Its less loud than my OE stereo was. Otherwise sounds great and very happy.

Running some older hardware.
Stereo: JVC KW-V340BT
Speakers: JBL GX8628 6x8 around

Anybody know why?
You simply don't have enough juice.

Those speakers are spec'd for 60W RMS
With the current deck, it only puts out 22RMS...comparable to the stock Ford radio (1/3 of the RMS the speakers are designed for).
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-U2AXV8BOQu5/p_109GX8628A/JBL-GX8628AM.html

By adding on a small amp, you'd see tremendous gains.
Not only in higher volumes, but all frequecies at all volumes would be dramatically improved.
This is the Sony amp I'm pushing in my Honda. There's current Youtube vids indicating actual RMS is closer to 50 or 55 RMS
I have 6.5's in all 4 corners and with the amp and upgraded speakers (stock head unit), when I'm playing jazz at moderate levels, it literally sounds like an orchestra is playing on my dashboard...it's that amazing!

Last edited:
Check the head unit's owner's manual. It may have a "max volume" setting.

I wish it did. I've had those before with a low and high setting, but this one does not.

You simply don't have enough juice.

Those speakers are spec'd for 60W RMS
With the current deck, it only puts out 22RMS...comparable to the stock Ford radio (1/3 of the RMS the speakers are designed for).
https://www.crutchfield.com/S-U2AXV8BOQu5/p_109GX8628A/JBL-GX8628AM.html

By adding on a small amp, you'd see tremendous gains.
Not only in higher volumes, but all frequecies at all volumes would be dramatically improved.
This is the Sony amp I'm pushing in my Honda. There's current Youtube vids indicating actual RMS is closer to 50 or 55 RMS
I have 6.5's in all 4 corners and with the amp and upgraded speakers (stock head unit), when I'm playing jazz at moderate levels, it literally sounds like an orchestra is playing on my dashboard...it's that amazing!
I hear you, but I don't need to go that far. Just trying to figure out why this is less loud than the stock head unit was (although much better sounding). Trying to figure out what you mean by the speakers not being rated for 60w rms? They are... obviously I don't use their wattage capacity, though. With 92db sensitivity they shouldn't be the limiting factor. Nvm, re-read your post.

Using the OE ground, does this sound like a problem that could be related to power supply or grounding? Not a heck of a lot of amps here but... maybe?

I hear you, but I don't need to go that far. Just trying to figure out why this is less loud than the stock head unit was (although much better sounding).
IMHO, the stock setup was designed to go louder, but also cause distortion at those higher levels.
With the revised setup, the new speakers are demanding more power to create quality sound.
Kinda like a "quantity vs. quality" comparison.

How loud are we talking? Like an I practically high volume as a comparison to stock or not loud enough to jam out?

22W RMS is a good amount and I wouldn’t think that loudness would be a problem. I bought larger, better speakers (better sensitivity) for my stock head unit and they get just as loud and sound better. If I can ever justify the cost I’ll add a DSP and amp to keep the stock look.

Look into a tiny amp like an Alpine KT-445. The single MOSFET in an aftermarket deck gets overwhelmed quickly - you won’t hear it clip but it’ll run out of steam to drive non-factory speakers.

It’s not quiet, for sure. But you know once in a while when you need it a bit too loud? It doesn’t do that. Maybe I’m just spoiled with my big speakers in my basement weight room…

There is a different curve for audio volume controls (potentiometers, or “pots”) than a standard potentiometer. The audio curve has more increase on the lower end of the scale and increases less rapidly at the top. I’m not sure when it started, but it’s been this way as long as I’ve played with audio electronics, which is a long time. The newer digital systems likely mimic the same behavior so that volume controls maintain the same feel. So if your volume range, say, is 0-36, you may be at 60% at level 12, and 90% at level 24, with the remaining third of the sweep only accounting for 10% of gain.

it also wouldn’t surprise me if there is a form of ALC, or auto level control happening at the point where the amplifier begins to clip; thereby limiting further gain to both protect components while also protecting sound quality. when an amp clips, not only does it sound bad, but physically it loses magnetic control over speaker motor structures, which can result in failures to both high and low frequency drivers. The amp knows it’s clipping before you do, and using lighter weight materials in the speakers can provide a more effortless sound quality with less power, while also requiring greater protection from abuse.

i notice what you are observing if the source audio is too low, such as a digital recording on Bluetooth, and I need more gain to compensate for it, and there’s just nothing left on the dial.

Back