Advice: Odyssey or Sienna?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sienna, the Odyssey will put you in the poor house when it breaks and believe me it will and its going to cost a small fortune.
Don't be swayed by the slightly nicer looking interior (its cheap made anyway Honda just hides it better) and the bells and whistles.

Sienna...as others eluded to , the Honda auto transmissions are not the most durable. That would make up for the cost difference between a belt vs chain as far as timing goes.

How have the electric sliding doors held up? Seemed like, a few years ago that is, that they all could be counted on needing a repair or two. Is that still true today?

Personally, if I needed this type of hauler, I'd forget both of the Japanese brands and go straight to a Dodge Caravan.
We have a couple of these in the fleet at work and I've used both on some ~100 miles trips and was impressed by how good they were for the $$.
Plenty of power, very overgeared in top (the Ody and the Toy will be too), good ride, strong HVAC, decent handling and surprisingly good fuel economy.
You can also get a really good deal on a Caravan, which won't happen with either of the Japanese brands.
I'd personally buy a Caravan and keep four or five grand in my pocket.

The T&C has the best transmission of the bunch.

As for Odyssey vs Sienna:

MPGs - Odyssey
Crash test rating - odyssey
Value/price - Sienna, maybe. They are both overpriced on the secondary market.
Reliability - Sienna based on the few people I know with them. Everyone I know with an Odyssey has had some issues.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
The T&C has the best transmission of the bunch.

While I can't comment on the Ody or Sienna, I thought the T&C transmission was terrible. It couldn't decide what gear to use and was jumping between 2 gears all the time on semi steep grade. Maybe I was expecting too much from mini vans. The PentaStar engine was great though. Second row and third row were a little thin on padding. Stow/go is awesome.

Going to the dealer to test drive the new models this weekend. Leaning towards the Sienna at the moment. Seems like Honda has had it's fair share of problems lately. I haven't bought a Honda in years and only remembered them as bulletproof because of the last two my dad owned. 97 Accord and Odyssey, they were literally indestructible.

The vcm and transmission issues are not what folks I know encounter with pilot/ody 2010+.

Other nags yes but nothing expensive or complicated. Sienna is nice and I think but what suits your fancy better.

The Chrysler vans 2012 or before are rolling toilets. My aunt has been able to have two returned due to nice lemon laws in MA due to engine and transmission issues. She is on her third that is throwing codes but dealer is reseting the till the 1 month/1000 mile warranty MA requires on used vehicles passes.

we bought a 2011 sienna brand new and had zero issues with it. we just gave it away to a family member and now have a 2014 caravan r/t. the wife loves the caravan more in a couple different ways that matter when it comes to having 3 children. the 2nd and 3rd row seats are easier to use versus the sienna, the pentastar is comperable to the 2gr-fe, and the transmission is acceptable when the eco button is on. It can be lazy on upshifting but again that is the eco nonsense.

We had a 2004 Odyssey with 182,000 miles. No problems other than motor mounts. Trans fluid was changed every 10k with Maxlife.

Our 2010 has 66k. Again, no problems. I've disabled the VCM with a MuzzlerII and use Mobil 1 Ow-40, and Maxlife in the trans.

I do have a great independent Honda tech in the wings:)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver
The Chrysler vans 2012 or before are rolling toilets.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: Barwich

While I can't comment on the Ody or Sienna, I thought the T&C transmission was terrible. It couldn't decide what gear to use and was jumping between 2 gears all the time on semi steep grade. Maybe I was expecting too much from mini vans. The PentaStar engine was great though. Second row and third row were a little thin on padding. Stow/go is awesome.

Going to the dealer to test drive the new models this weekend. Leaning towards the Sienna at the moment. Seems like Honda has had it's fair share of problems lately. I haven't bought a Honda in years and only remembered them as bulletproof because of the last two my dad owned. 97 Accord and Odyssey, they were literally indestructible.

the latest one shifts fine as far as I can tell. It does shift different based on whether eco mode is enabled but that isn't what makes it good. It seems to have far less issues than the toyota and honda transmissions.

EDIT: also something to consider is middle row stow-n-go. There is only one manufacturer that provides that. Even when the middle row seats are in use, the stowing area provides a lot of convenient storage, especially for long trips.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: madRiver
The Chrysler vans 2012 or before are rolling toilets. My aunt has been able to have two returned due to nice lemon laws in MA due to engine and transmission issues. She is on her third that is throwing codes but dealer is reseting the till the 1 month/1000 mile warranty MA requires on used vehicles passes.

When is the last time you heard of a toilet braking? Hardly ever, they last for 40 years.

Toilets could sue Chrysler vans for libel and slander. If it was not for the Chevy Uplander, Chrysler would own the "worst minivan" podium award. Doubt me? I have 7 Chrysler minivans in my fleet and 2 Chevys. We have three Caravans that we call "Snap, Crackle, and Pop"... and those are the "good" ones.

Toyota > Honda... go with the Sienna.

Let's not forget the super expensive motor and tranny mounts on the Odyssey.
Personally I would pick Sienna of of the two.

A lot of reviews complain that the engine on the T&C and Grand Caravans doesn't sound refined, but I'd rather hear the engine roar than listen to the tire noise that is especially noticeable on the Honda.

Regarding the tranny on the Chrysler, it was a bit touchy on my Grand Caravan when I first picked it up, but after few hundred miles it learned our driving style and it shifts fine now. Also, Chrysler provided a nicely mounted shifter that can be very easily bumped to the manual mode to avoid any weird gear hunting if necessary and you don't even have to take your hand off the steering wheel.

Originally Posted By: Barwich
- I have thought about the Kia Sedonna, going to check out a demo this weekend at the dealer.

Any updates on the Sedona?

Originally Posted By: GregGA
We had a 2004 Odyssey with 182,000 miles. No problems other than motor mounts. Trans fluid was changed every 10k with Maxlife.

Our 2010 has 66k. Again, no problems. I've disabled the VCM with a MuzzlerII and use Mobil 1 Ow-40, and Maxlife in the trans.

I do have a great independent Honda tech in the wings:)

I read the huge thread on verbatim's VCMuzzlerII yesterday and was intrigued. The VCM operation at speeds greater than 40mph has been the only complaint in out Ody and the fact that I have to stomp on the gas to get it to downshift at 65mph to pass. It seems his device totally eliminates this problem.

We sold off our 02 Honda Odyssey picked up a 2015 Sienna LE with 6,000 miles in December. This is our first Toyota, historically we have always owned Honda’s & Subaru’s, but between the deal we got and my wife’s family swearing about how good Toyotas are we pulled the trigger…plus I hated the looks of the new Odyssey.

Well I am starting to miss the Odyssey, the Sienna just doesn’t handle or stop nearly as well as the Odyssey but I am not the primary driver so I can live with it. I am planning on a brake pad upgrade shortly as that is my biggest complaint.

However, at the end of the day I am satisfied with our purchase, especially when you compare our experience with the Sienna vs. all of other minivans (Honda, Kia, T&C) and a good number of SUV's (Highlander, Pilot, Explorer, Traverse) that we test drove.

We faced this decision in 2012 and went with Toyota (we have a 2011 Accord in the class action). Now, with 52,000 miles, the Sienna has been flawless. The drivetrain is very well matched and the car drives "light on its feet". Avoid AWD with run-flat tires. Our FWD XLE goes great in the snow anyway. Only downer I can think of is the silly canister type oil filter making changes more involved than need be. 10,000 mile OCI spec'd. Another plus for us is "built in Indiana". Take the plant tour if you're ever in the area. Fascinating.

Last edited:
We had a 2007 Odyssey, totalled in an accident. We went shopping for a new van, between these two choices as well. First of all, I'll hedge, and say, both are fine minivans, probably the best two choices in this class (haven't driven the new Pacifica), either one will be a good choice.

We went with a Sienna a few years back, because we thought it was a little quieter, and a little roomier inside. Also, our budget at the time and choices led us towards a mid-level trim - we knew we had a baby who, with her siblings, was going through some "messy" years so we didn't want a brand new van. We'll be in the market in about a year or two for a new van, and right now my wife is in between these two choices again - our friends have loaded versions of both and are nice, so it makes it a hard decision.

There's a new Odyssey just on the horizon, and the Sienna is in need of a refresh, too - it has been essentially the same since 2010 (the 2011 model year launched early). The Sienna and Odyssey both had Mid-model changes, right now I'd probably lean slightly towards an Odyssey, but that's more based on features. Folks have already mentioned all the big differences otherwise, it mostly comes down to preference.

We had 125,000 + in the Odyssey in five years, and now have 120,000+ in the Sienna (most of them ours), and no real problems. The Odyssey needed basic maintenance (including t-belt and water pump), and wheel bearings. The Odyssey drove a bit sharper but the Sienna feels faster. Sienna likewise is mostly oil changes, filters, tires, although it does chew up brakes faster than we'd like. Both survived well through family life - kind of hard duty on a drivetrain and interiors.

Originally Posted By: Indydriver
We faced this decision in 2012 and went with Toyota (we have a 2011 Accord in the class action). Now, with 52,000 miles, the Sienna has been flawless. The drivetrain is very well matched and the car drives "light on its feet". Avoid AWD with run-flat tires. Our FWD XLE goes great in the snow anyway. Only downer I can think of is the silly canister type oil filter making changes more involved than need be. 10,000 mile OCI spec'd. Another plus for us is "built in Indiana". Take the plant tour if you're ever in the area. Fascinating.

Why? I am assuming maybe the run flat tires affect ride quality? I looked at one and told the salesman it's easy to be 50 miles from nowhere in Utah (the distance of a "flat" run flat tire). Personally, I would order a spare right away-and buy the needed tools/jack. There is space to carry a spare behind the rear seat on road trips. Then, after I used up the life of the OEM tires I would buy some good all seasons. AWD is a MUST on the street where I live.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back