Adobe Acrobat Reader is a Giant Behemoth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've tried a bunch of other PDF readers out there, including FoxIt and some others. Once in a while I'd run into a PDF file that these third party readers would not render correctly, so I ended up going back to Adobe Reader DC. Honestly, I don't see it hogging up any significant amount of resources on my PC.

If you're looking for a low resource footprint reader, apparently Sumatra PDF is another good one to try.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
I've tried a bunch of other PDF readers out there, including FoxIt and some others. Once in a while I'd run into a PDF file that these third party readers would not render correctly, so I ended up going back to Adobe Reader DC. Honestly, I don't see it hogging up any significant amount of resources on my PC.

If you're looking for a low resource footprint reader, apparently Sumatra PDF is another good one to try.

That's my experience as well. I like a number of Adobe applications including Photoshop. I don't find Reader DC to be heavy on either of my macs either
21.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
That's my experience as well. I like a number of Adobe applications including Photoshop. I don't find Reader DC to be heavy on either of my macs either
21.gif

Adobe is too heavy for my 2007 MBP. The Soda Reader on the other hand, I can leave it open all the time and doesn't have any impact on overall speed. Before starting this thread, I thought Adobe Reader was the only reader available besides Mac's built in Preview. This thread has been a huge success for me.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
21.gif

Adobe is too heavy for my 2007 MBP. The Soda Reader on the other hand, I can leave it open all the time and doesn't have any impact on overall speed. Before starting this thread, I thought Adobe Reader was the only reader available besides Mac's built in Preview. This thread has been a huge success for me.
smile.gif

PDF is an open format, so anyone can make software to read and write it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portable_Document_Format

That does not prevent proprietary software vendors from extending the format.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
21.gif

smile.gif

How much RAM do you have? Both my rigs have 16GB.

FYI, when I have a particularly large PDF open with Reader DC on my W7 laptop, all the Acrobat processes combined take up about 200 MB. I have 8GB RAM.

Have you looked at pdf x-change viewer. It can do everything Adobe can do but efficiently. Its been more than a decade, I have not touched adobe reader. I used to use Sumatra pdf but I annotate pdfs a lot. X-change Viewer serves very well, available as portable as well if you wish

Originally Posted By: MoneyJohn
Have you looked at pdf x-change viewer. It can do everything Adobe can do but efficiently. Its been more than a decade, I have not touched adobe reader. I used to use Sumatra pdf but I annotate pdfs a lot. X-change Viewer serves very well, available as portable as well if you wish

Agreed. Haven't used Adobe in years except for at work. It's just as the OP stated: "A Giant Behemoth".

I still use Sumatra PDF and think it's great. It not a full function viewer though if you need make changes and annotate. Anything "but" Adobe would be my advice as there are many nice alternative PDF readers.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Isn't running Microsoft stuff on a Mac going to get you put on Apple's Most Wanted list or something like that?
wink.gif

Probably, LOL
grin.gif

Acrobat Reader only uses 60 Mb with one PDF opened up on my Windows 7 machine. Of course as you open more and more PDFs at the same time the memory use increases. With 5 pretty large PDFs open the memory went up to 130 Mb. That's pretty small beans in today's memory use world IMO.

There was a giant behemoth of memory usage on my Mac Pro today and it wasn't Acrobat.....

Everyone claims Chrome is a resource hog, but it runs great on every machine I use it on.
21.gif
and dare I say I am loving W10?

qNmaeMl.png

My Chrome is probably using a couple of GB, but I have 46 tabs open, so I think that's quite acceptable
21.gif

Skype on the other hand.... LOL! I updated it and it seems to be hovering around 126MB now, but that was nuts!
crazy2.gif

My Chrome is probably using a couple of GB, but I have 46 tabs open, so I think that's quite acceptable
21.gif

Skype on the other hand.... LOL! I updated it and it seems to be hovering around 126MB now, but that was nuts!
crazy2.gif

I totally missed that! LOL

Yet you quoted the picture, LMAO!!!
grin.gif

This is why I shouldn't drink and post
10.gif

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Yet you quoted the picture, LMAO!!!
grin.gif

This is why I shouldn't drink and post
10.gif

LOL!!!! No worried bud, I've had a couple Stella's too, sitting here, listening to music, wife has passed out already, fun times
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
Isn't running Microsoft stuff on a Mac going to get you put on Apple's Most Wanted list or something like that?
wink.gif

Probably, LOL
grin.gif

Reminds me of this:

whis-atfoluoyefeso-with-your-current-account-balance-which-apple-product-can-you-buy-bill-gates-atbillgates-apple-fUVWJ.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back