Adjusting push mower RPM

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mowed with my hot rod mower a couple days ago, and now it's got some power! The 140cc Briggs at 3600 rpm powers through damp Saint Augustine grass with no hesitation. And, since the drive system is directly run off the crank, it also drives at a faster pace which I prefer; I can mow my lawn in less time.

One downside, the tachometer I bought off eBay does not appear to be vibration tolerant and gives false readings mounted on the vibrating handle of the mower and correct reading when off of the handle. Oh well.

I had a push mower I used from 8th grade until I graduated high school...my dad picked it up used when we moved into our new house. We had 1 acre to mow and it honestly was one giant hill. Being a mechanically handy, yet still ignorant kid, I noticed if I pulled on the governor spring the engine would speed up and I could walk faster (it takes a while to push mow an acre). So if a little was good, a lot is better. I hard wired the governor wide open, and it basically operated wide open all the time. I mowed with it that way from 8th grade until I moved out to go to college when my father promptly went out and bought a new riding mower ;-)

I wonder what RPM that thing was singing? I remember the deck was either a dull gray or dull green color, and it was an old Briggs engine.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back