Status
Not open for further replies.
3.5L SOHC V6 VTEC, 5 sp Auto, FWD/AWD
Oil Use = Nov '03 - Apr 7 '04
OEM air filter
Purolator Plus oil filter
Oil Fill 4.5 qts
Make-up ~.5 qts
Primary use - to/from work - 6miles each and other short trips around town - VTEC do get some excercise once in a while.

code:

factory fill synergyn synergyn voa

total mi 3850 11125 from 2slick

al 12 7

Cr 3 2

Fe 83 25

Cu 164 61

Pb 5 1

Sn 1 0

Mo 332 81 148

Ni 0 0

Mn 4 1

Ag 0 0

Ti 0 0

K 2 0

B 19 65 168

Si 74 6 6

Na 10 3

Ca 1902 2098 3205

Mg 6 5 47

P 756 877 1485

Zn 829 939 1479

Ba 8 0

Sus Vis@210 = 50.7 55.5

Flashpoint = 385 375

Fuel % = < 0.5
Insolubes = 0.6 0.5

TBN 3.7

Oil was changed and refilled with same. Using Toyo Roki 15400-PCX-004 oil filter this time. Will probably use Mobil1 0w-20 on future fill.

[ April 14, 2004, 08:35 AM: Message edited by: pinoy99 ]

Roger that, didn't see it. Much better oil than in it before, no doubt. The synergy 5W-30's and 10W-30's have been really posting some good numbers at the VOA page. TBN looks good. I'd say you could run this out to 4.5K, easily. Fe, Al, Pb and Cr came down nicely as did the Si. I think this is a pretty good report.

Very nice. Thnings are going in the right direction. But really..whats the practical difference between a 55 cSt (20 wt.) and a 60 cSt. (30 wt oil)
dunno.gif

Looks like all the wear metals are improving. I'm still confused about the comparison to the factory-fill at 3850mi. I'm assuming there is another oil change in between the two reports that wasn't tested.
confused.gif

schmoe- Yea, its a good report considering the motor is still breaking in. I'm looking to max the drain to oem normal schedule of 7.5k but it does not seem likely based on this report;just too much junk(insolubles) still.
Al - the 20wt probably just gives a tad more mpg + satisfies the warranty.
Jay - Yup, forgot to take sample(Castrol Syn Blend 5w20) in between the factory fill and this one. I'm not really comparing this UOA to the factory fill UOA but IMO it's a good gauge where the motor stands now with regards to breakin.

Forget the warranty stuff. Been discussed many times, just keep reciepts. I'd give it one more run. I can't believe that this oil will not go to 7.5K. TBN looks really good still. Might be some left over junk from the previous oil that's whats keep the insoluble levels the way they are.
I wonder what the HTHS of this oil is? But Jesus, look at the ZDP package, Mo and B. If you want protection and additives, THIS is the stuff that dreams are made of.....
wink.gif

Thanks for the post but I really wonder about the additive pack and if this result was mixed up or something ?

If you are planning on a analysis of the current run it will be interesting to see if the Synergyn gets it's additives back
smile.gif
or if this 0w-20 was reformulated recently .

I am using lot # 0319117085119 . Would you mind looking on your bottles and seeing if they are the same ?

Thanks for the post but I really wonder about the additive pack and if this result was mixed up or something?

Yea, Even the lab thought it was Mobil1. Another possible explanation is that the adds are being depleted rapidly due to cleaning(dirty engine).

If you are planning on a analysis of the current run it will be interesting to see if the Synergyn gets it's additives back
smile.gif
or if this 0w-20 was reformulated recently .

Roger on that one, just recently added 8oz of LC and 3 oz of #132 to help minimize insolubles; will possibly add another 2 oz of LC within the OCI and will also use a bottle of neutra fuel treatment. .

I am using lot # 0319117085119 . Would you mind looking on your bottles and seeing if they are the same ?

I looked all over at one bottle but I could not find any lot number. Where is the stamp usually located? I will probably do a VOA on this batch just to see whether this is a new formulation - fwiw, bottle does say it meets SL/CF requirements.

That apparent drop in adds is not comforting ... but I'm not sure how much confidence I'd have in these numbers after just one test. I've heard nothing but good things about Synergen ... and I'd like to see more results.

Wear looks high ... but not for a motor still breaking in ... which I believe this one is.

Still, is finding this stuff worth it when Mobil 1 0W20 is turning in the excellent results it is?
confused.gif

--- Bror Jace

quote:

Originally posted by pinoy99:
I hear ya, Bror Jace, this oil doubles the price of M1. I don't know if I am willing to spend that much again in the future.

Also consider this: For a 3800 miles run, Motorcraft 5w20 or Pennzoil 5w20 would probably give you wear numbers just as good as this oil did, and for around $1.75 per quart.
pat.gif

pinoy99 ,

The number is hard to see on the black bottle but it is lazer inked right above the front label .

Don't these Honda V6 engines do very well in most climates on 5w-30 wt synthetic ?

G-Man II Yup, those oils are an option + ExxonMobil 5w20 is $1.29 at Autozone.
Motorbike I will look again at the bottle(s) tonight. These motors just seems to be dirty when breaking in.

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:

I am using lot # 03 1911 708 5119

Don't these Honda V6 engines do very well in most climates on 5w-30 wt synthetic ?

Boy, those numbers are really tough to see. Anyway here's mine. 03 1911 70(4,7,8) #5119 which seems to be the same batch as yours. So if the BS read is correct, then the adds are being depleted. As mentioned before, I will run a VOA and UOA on the current run so comparison will be more accurate.

I have a lot of GC 0w30 on hand so I might try 'em next or just go with the proven M1 0w20.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back