Acorn season around here, anybody eat them?

Started about a week ago. Roof as well as cars getting bombarded day and night. Have a few skylights and you almost jump when you get than PLINK on the glass, it's so loud. I read that you can't eat them raw, but have to boil them first. Does anybody here prepare them? Are they any good? Seeing no acorn products at the supermarket, I assume the taste isn't too great.

I have 5 hickory trees in the back yard that are loaded with hickory nuts....maybe a bad winter....I have opened some up to try and they are very good ...nutty and slightly sweet...now I know why the squirrels love them...

I have 5 hickory trees in the back yard that are loaded with hickory nuts....maybe a bad winter....I have opened some up to try and they are very good ...nutty and slightly sweet...now I know why the squirrels love them...
I love the flavor of hickory nuts but they are sure difficult to eat.

Started about a week ago. Roof as well as cars getting bombarded day and night. Have a few skylights and you almost jump when you get than PLINK on the glass, it's so loud. I read that you can't eat them raw, but have to boil them first. Does anybody here prepare them? Are they any good? Seeing no acorn products at the supermarket, I assume the taste isn't too great.
You’re nuts about your nuts. 😉

This is an easily solvable problem:
71gMmX6mapL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

I've never tried them, but we learned in a scout class that you could either soak the shelled nuts in cold water like a stream for a few days or boil them at least twice until the water doesn't get dark to get the tannins out of them to make them edible. Tannins are what makes black tea dark, BTW, but acorns have way too much of the stuff to eat without processing.

Humans can't handle acorns as is. Traditional native preparation would roast them, grind them into flour, and soak and release the tannins over several flushes. Obviously deer and squirrels are adapted for eating them. But it was pretty good for native consumption, especially where the processed flour could be stored for future consumption.

I hate acorns. We've got so much California live oak around here and I need to pull out all the ones that sprout before they get big. I pull them out and I can see the acorn attached to the root. If they get to a certain trunk width it requires a permit in some areas to cut them down or even trim them. The other thing that drives me crazy is where all the animals take them, where I've seen them sprout in planters. There isn't a mature oak that close to my home, but they end up being transported.

When I was a kid , my Dad said that the Indians would roast Acorns and eat them . We tried it . Nope . Dad was terribly mistaken .

When I was a kid , my Dad said that the Indians would roast Acorns and eat them . We tried it . Nope . Dad was terribly mistaken .

It was a lot more work than that. Oak trees and acorns were an important part of the diet of natives, but that's because they learned how to process a plentiful resource enough to make it palatable. In places like Yosemite Valley, the natives would literally burn the forests, which would tend to promote the growth of oaks while other less fire resistant trees and brush would burn away.

So why don't we have acorn pie or butter or stuffing?

Acorns are easy to gather, but they do need a little bit of processing to make them edible. They have high levels of tannins which need to be leached out in water. In the past I’ve done a long, cold-water leaching technique that worked pretty well. Other people bag up their acorns and let them soak in streams. My friend Lu puts his in the back of an unused toilet and just flushes it once a day. This year I tried leaching acorns in boiling water, and this was definitely a win!​

Back