Accidentally ran twin engine on one cylinder!!

I have a Kohler 7000 series V-twin cylinder engine.

I accidentally left one spark plug disconnected after doing some maintenance. I stated up my lawn tractor today and it felt off. The noise of the engine was different and it felt really sluggish. I turned off the engine and check the oil, etc, and all seemed fine so I continued to mow my 1/2 acre (about 30 minutes). Only after I was done did I see that I was only running on one cylinder.

It's a fairly new tractor and now I am paranoid that I damaged the engine. I plan on changing the oil and cleaning both spark plugs. Any change I scared the cylinder or stressed the engine?

You probably didn't do it any good however I highly doubt you harmed the engine. As meds613 stated change the oil and plug and keep on mowing.

Thanks all. I was really bummed as I thought I damaged the engine

I had a small engine customer of mine with a V-Twin Briggs on a lawn tractor. One of the ignition coils failed, but it still ran. He mowed like that for months before bringing it to me. To this day it's still going, years later.

I suspect that the recommendation for changing the oil is that there is likely some form of fuel dilution due to one cylinder not firing. As minimal as it would be, the possibility does exist.

Personally, if this were my vehicle I'd just reinstall the plug cap and drive on. These engines burns such small amounts of fuel that cylinder wash and fuel dilution after the use of mowing 1/2 acre of area would be infinitesimal.

I am very relieved......... thanks all. Brand new tractor and stupid oversight by leaving the plug disconnected.

Increased cylinder wear from fuel washing in 1/2 hour of use would be impossible to measure, IMO. Also, the cylinder was running cool and with no load. I would change the oil though, if just to satisfy my OCD.

Increased cylinder wear from fuel washing in 1/2 hour of use would be impossible to measure, IMO. Also, the cylinder was running cool and with no load. I would change the oil though, if just to satisfy my OCD.
But, it was running with a load. I mowed the lawn for about 45 minutes, blades running (which is actually surprising that it ran on one cylinder).

But, it was running with a load. I mowed the lawn for about 45 minutes, blades running (which is actually surprising that it ran on one cylinder).
I mean't the dead cylinder was reciprocating with no load. Things such as keeping an effective and clean air filter on it, and an appropriate OCI will far outweigh the occasional incidents that happen. An example might be cutting grass that got way too tall on a really hot day, working the engine hard.

You'll most likely be fine. Do a compression test if you feel inclined to know if damage was done or not.

Well if you really need to know then you’ll have to do a complete tear down and measure everything.
And to do this properly you will need the original measurements for a true comparison. So, unless you tear your engines down regularly and measure everything, you'll need to live with it.

I would probably change the oil (as it may be fuel contaminated).

Back