Accel Kool Blue - advertised 2.8 microns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Ryan00TJ:
Mike, How does your Accel filter fit in your airbox? I am also looking for a new filter, but an torn between K@N, Holley and the Accel. Also do you have the stock airbox or an aftermarket lid? I have the SLP lid on my 02 SS. By the way nice car!!
cheers.gif

02 Z28 here with SLP lid. I bought the Kool Blue for this car and put it in, but took it out fearing that it wouldn't filter as well as the paper ones (thanks for scaring me guys). The filter seems to be good quality and fits very well (KP4020)
Rick

My KR1160 and KR2813 filters are all backordered until mid january.
frown.gif

Kr1160 = 96-up GT/Truck 4.6/5.4
KR2813 = 1983-1985 Mustang GT 5.0 HO 4-bbl

metroplex

Are you in the snow storm path?

We have been having a nice winter near Lake Superior, not a storm yet and only about 8" snow on ground. Other years by this time I have 2 ft or more on the garage roof. Nothing at all today and they are saying sun Thurs with hign near 30F

Anyone looking for a good used 2001 GMC Ext Cab Z71 with every option except engine block heater?

GM card just sent me another $1000 of new truck, coupled with my $1000 GM card rebate and the GMC $5000 off and a dealer here selling at invoice I can get a new $36000 truck for around $27000.

Yep I got about 6" of wet snow, sleet, and ice here in NJ.

My 81 T-bird handled it w/o any problems - I was doing about 30-35 mph while newer cars were chugging along at 5 mph
smile.gif
Ah... snow tires
wink.gif

that snow picture reminds me of the "Blizzard of '96" we had about the same amount of snow in NJ. I remember my garage being completely blocked after we shoveled.
smile.gif
Good times!

So info from Acell

quote:

1/ The filter is definitely not a blue K&N

2/ The filter is not an AFE

3/ The efficiency of the filter at 2.8 microns is 99%.

4/ The mesh that you have on your OE filter is not required with our type of construction. As long as it is the correct dimension and fits the air box.

5/ The difference in thickness is not the problem, as long as a filter has sufficient surface area for air flow and filtration for the specific application. A paper filter requires more area as it flows less per sq. inch than cotton gauze so they are thicker.

6/ An ACCEL filter is constructed with sufficient area using Galvanized steel mesh which makes it very rigid and resists implosion.

7/ There are many theories about pleating depth and shape, we use a normal pleat with sufficient depth to provide air flow and filtration requirements to give maximum performance and maximum filtration.

ACCEL filter material has been tested and certified by TUV in Germany. This is one of the most stringent testing bodies in the world, products certified by TUV are known to be of high quality and well tested. As far as I am aware there is no other performance filter that has been through this rigorous testing procedure and has been certified to this high standard.

ACCEL has a very efficient R&D department at our facility in Cleveland where we develop new filters and intake systems and are always looking to improve our products for our customers.

shocked.gif

wow

seems they do a great job on the filter except make it fit properly in some applications.

I know for a fact my Vic panel filter fits properly but w/ the polyurethane seal being a tad thick.

My Mustang GT/Cobra filter will arrive soon and I'll measure against the stock replacement Fram paper filter size to see what's up.

I know the 4.9L L6 filter for my E-150 was NOT properly made - the top seals properly but like your filter, the thing was sagging.

FWIW my Motorcraft paper filter is just as saggy/soft as the Accel - which is why I didn't see your picure as a problem. The metal mesh of the Delco/Purolator/Fram helps reinforce it, but the Accel/K&N use the galvanished mesh.

Interesting info tho - I'll pass it along the other sites.

found this up a few posts.
quote:

Maybe they're made by Air Flow Engineering? (AFE)

Still waiting for the one for my '01 GMC truck from Jegs, may also get one for my '93 Lumina grocery getter.

[ December 27, 2002, 07:24 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

I got my KR1160 (For Ford Mustang GTs/Cobras and 4.6/5.4 trucks)

according to the measurements taken by a GT owner using a stock paper filter, its a direct match.

Found out there's a part missing from my air box. The filter insert PN 25166571, what ever that is? So its not the problem of the filter in my case.

I edited the other posts so no one get the wrong impression.

quote:

ACCEL filter material has been tested and certified by TUV in Germany. This is one of the most stringent testing bodies in the world, products certified by TUV are known to be of high quality and well tested.

Just noticed this one. As a safety systems engineer, I happen to know that TUV approval, in and of itself, is a useless benchmark. You have to see the entire TUV report to know what the "approval," is in relation too, and what the exceptions are.

It's sort of like the "mil spec"(Military Specification) rating that many parts manufacturers like to brag about. What is the specification it meets?

GM Part. Don't know exactly what is looks like but its the same for Camaro and F-Bird.

[ January 02, 2003, 04:44 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Mike: hmmmm interesting. how come the stock filter fits w/o the adapter?

Vader: Mil-Spec means it meets the Military's specification as per whatever # they put after it.

I.e. Mil-Spec Altama Jungle Boots are made to tough military standards. If you buy any other type of jungle boot, it WILL fall apart from non-combat use. Rangers shell out their own money just to get the better Altama's and get rid of their issued boots. THe standard issue US Army boot is a Mil-Spec full-leather deal that weighs a frigging ton and sucks for mud traction. You need to modify the sole in order to get more traction
smile.gif

MIL-Spec M-65 Field Jackets are made to military specs in that the stitching, fabric material, snap types, zippers, etc... are all made to whatever the US military requires. Same goes for the BDUs.

Cheap Made in China imitations fall apart from bad stitching or ther material comes apart.

It must be because it is thicker and stays put while the other is thinner. The more I fooled with it this PM, the stock filter is a little loose but will not fall down in the box like the Accel. I was not aware of the insert till it was mentioned to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back