Accel Kool Blue - advertised 2.8 microns?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mr. Gasket/Accel advertises that their Kool Blue air filters can filter down to 2.8 micron particles - how does that fare with competitive air filters?

It's an oiled cotton gauze design w/ epoxy coated stainless steel mesh (very thin wires - not like the stuff used on Frams).

I bought two of them a few months ago - they look just like blue K&N filters with slightly more cotton fibers (the holes are smaller).

I got them from Summit for about $30 ea and they come with free T-shirts.

I checked Jegs, Summit did not have ones I would need.

Jegs Price
KP 2124 $36.99 2001 GMC 5.3L
KP 4020 $45.99 2002 Trans AM WS6 LS1

As long a they are quality, I will get some for my vehicles. Don't care for the K&N, to many people praising them makes me not want anything to do with them. And the fact I ordered one for a car several years back and it did not fit, too samll by several inches. When I tried to return it, the person at the mail order place argued with me that I was wrong and he was right. Turns out there were 2 different style for the same year Lumina. I'll be po'd if they turn out to be made by K&N for Accel?

[ December 16, 2002, 06:26 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

They don't appear to use the same material as K&N's - the screen is steel w/ blue epoxy coating and the polyurethane seal is different also.

Summit has the 4020 along with the free t-shirt promotion.
ACC-KP4020-P3P $45.95 + $7.95 handling

[ December 16, 2002, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: metroplex ]

I ordered them from Jegs on-line, had account there. No t-shirt but I have more than I can ever were out anyhoo. $7.99 to ship both. No back order.

Maybe.

The boxes said they were made in france.

I ordered a filter for my 85 Mustang GT HO aircleaner and for a truck 5.4L SOHC V8.

In the past I bought one for my 4.6L SOHC V8 Crown Vic and it fit OK. For a 300CID I6, the filter didn't fit the box quite right but it made a tight seal nonetheless (hard to explain). I think this is typical with all aftermarket filter manufacturers.

Got my filters today by UPS.. Jegs is fast, ordered on 16th at 7pm. Look high quality. We'll see if it is still going strong in 20yrs in my 02 WS6. But, I will have to wait till May to test it out, winter here till then. I am thinking of moving South so, I only saw the sun on 3 days so far this month.

[ December 19, 2002, 07:27 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Mike, How does your Accel filter fit in your airbox? I am also looking for a new filter, but an torn between K@N, Holley and the Accel. Also do you have the stock airbox or an aftermarket lid? I have the SLP lid on my 02 SS. By the way nice car!!
cheers.gif

My car is completely stock 2002 TA WS6 Ram Air and will not change anything. Car is in storage but I will go over today and put in the filter and try let you know here.

As for those other brands, everyone has those and reason for me to not. BTW-Accel cost less for my vehicles.

Mike, why don't you want to change your intake lid? On the LS1 it's one of the best mods you can do, it's an easy 10 rwhp and with no ill effects whatsoever. I had the MTI airbox on my 98 Formula when I had it.

The LS1 responds so well to mods that I'm surprised you would want to leave it stock. I only did a handful of simple mods to mine, but it dropped the quarter mile time from the stock level of 13.68 at 102.9mph down to 12.68 at 110.6!

It had the following mods, which in total were less than $2000:

4.10 gears (it was a 6 speed car)
BFG Drag radials
ported MAF
MTI airbox
exhaust cutout
HPP3 programming

Man that car was fun! I was stupid to trade it for a Grand Prix (which I then traded for my LT1 Formula) Someday I will own an LS1 once again (this time a C5 though)

I bought the car to enjoy, not to hot rod or race so 10hp or 1/4 miles times mean nothing to me, I am perfectly content with the stock 325hp. Would you beleive I have had the car for over a year and not smoked the tires? Just not that kind of driver. $2000? Are you crazy? I rather use that money for something else.

[ January 02, 2003, 03:28 PM: Message edited by: Mike ]

Yes the Accel has shallower pleats than a stock paper filter - does the K&N fit properly (for your model airbox)?

U know - I noticed the SAME problem with my dad's 4.9L I6 Accel - but it sealed regardless of the difference in design. Notice the top part would fit the airbox lid and seal out dirt. The panel filter for my 4.6 Crown Vic seals perfectly and IMHO its a tad tight too (the seal is too thick).

Anyhow, my other Accel filters did not have that metal screen. There's no real point since the entire Accel is made of metal wire mesh. The metal screen would just serve to impede airflow.

Anyone have a K&N for the same application, and would care to describe it?

I highly suspect the Accel's are just blue K&N's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back