AC quit on 2017 F150.

OMG! SERIOUSLY? The plot thickens! :eek:
Yes this can be TRUE, depending on the application.
It's all about making DIY repairs nearly impossible, or very difficult and or expensive if you need a very specific OEM scan tool to do it.

It's becoming more and more apparent as time goes by that if you have any interest in DIY shade tree repairs you won't be buying new much longer.

This is also going to backfire on manufactures as people start staying away in droves and buying older used cars or keeping older cars.
Heck if I knew the future thirty or forty years ago I would have collected investment money to buy large lots of brand new 1980s and 1990s cars and sell them as new today.

Yes this can be TRUE, depending on the application.
It's all about making DIY repairs nearly impossible, or very difficult and or expensive if you need a very specific OEM scan tool to do it.

It's becoming more and more apparent as time goes by that if you have any interest in DIY shade tree repairs you won't be buying new much longer.

This is also going to backfire on manufactures as people start staying away in droves and buying older used cars or keeping older cars.
Heck if I knew the future thirty or forty years ago I would have collected investment money to buy large lots of brand new 1980s and 1990s cars and sell them as new today.
I haven't planned on ever buying another new vehicle again. My 07 F150 is in immaculate condition, and I plan on keeping it that way.
Just recently my dad went into a nursing facility. I inherited his 98 Chevy Silverado 1500 extended cab truck. It has 73K miles on it, but needs some "ADJUSTMENTS." His 57 Plymouth is up for grabs between my brother and I. 😖.

The “wet” appearance (likely) means the front seal blew out of 5he compressor, that’s refrigeration oil. Surprised R1234yf is so hard to get serviced, adapters are made to connect to a standard gauge set, including the left handed tank threads. Sure won‘t have to worry about recovering the old gas, it’s gone! Refrigerant is stupid expensive, though, over $50/pound!

I forgot to mention that one of the shops that I called where the owner went to training on the 1234 refrigerant mentioned that the vehicle's computer has to be hooked up to the recharge machine for it to be charged properly.
That sounds odd-generally refrigerant is weighed into the system (after flushing, replacing compressor, expansion device, orings, dryer/accumulator, etc.)-normally the compressor doesn’t even need to be running. Unless Ford’s ”better ideas” are striking again…

Reactions: wtd
The “wet” appearance (likely) means the front seal blew out of 5he compressor, that’s refrigeration oil. Surprised R1234yf is so hard to get serviced, adapters are made to connect to a standard gauge set, including the left handed tank threads. Sure won‘t have to worry about recovering the old gas, it’s gone! Refrigerant is stupid expensive, though, over $50/pound!
The machines are a real pain compared to the older ones. It has its own analyzer built in. If it gets a contaminated batch it locks the matching out until robinair gets around to coming to the shop and resetting it which may take weeks. Many shops including me don't want to hassle that as well as the service charge.

Last edited:
Call Subaru Corporate and open up a trouble ticket on this vehicle I would bet that they will cover all costs to repair it and give you a two or three year Subaru warranty too. This kind of thing is INexcusable on a newer vehicle with low mileage. Especially when you consider that AC mobile systems were perfected decades ago.

You got that right... My car is 13 years old and the AC still works good. 342,000+ miles too.

AC not has strong as new but it still keeps me cool when it is 90+ degrees out.

Interesting thread. Just took the CRV in today to the dealer under warranty bc the AC was doing a ****ty job. The drivers side vents were like 15-20* warmer and it would take 5-10 mins to notice a difference when starting the car. They said the tech didn’t find a leak but it was low on refrigerant so they pulled vacuum, didn’t find any leaks, and filled it up to factory specs and measured 42* at the vents. I asked the service advisor if there’s no leak, how’s it low? She goes, not sure, sometimes it can come low from the factory. Lol

I misspoke about the wet appearance. When I got to look at it today a lot closer, there was nothing wet, just what looked like chewed up black rubber stuff which was also coming out of the clutch. It was more sticky than anything.

I haven't planned on ever buying another new vehicle again. My 07 F150 is in immaculate condition, and I plan on keeping it that way.
Just recently my dad went into a nursing facility. I inherited his 98 Chevy Silverado 1500 extended cab truck. It has 73K miles on it, but needs some "ADJUSTMENTS." His 57 Plymouth is up for grabs between my brother and I. 😖.
Me either. I also have a 98 Chevy Silverado ext cab 4x4 that I bought new that only has 140,000 miles on it as well as a 98 Silverado 1 ton 4x4 with 121,000 miles on it. I figure I can make these to last for many more years along with my other vehicles.

That sounds odd-generally refrigerant is weighed into the system (after flushing, replacing compressor, expansion device, orings, dryer/accumulator, etc.)-normally the compressor doesn’t even need to be running. Unless Ford’s ”better ideas” are striking again…
I've repaired and recharged many 134 vehicles and while the vacuum will pull in a lot of the initial charge, I have never found that the whole charge will go into the system without the compressor running at some point. I use a refrigerant scale with 30 lb tanks that sounds an alarm when the correct amount is introduced into the system.

Interesting thread. Just took the CRV in today to the dealer under warranty bc the AC was doing a ****ty job. The drivers side vents were like 15-20* warmer and it would take 5-10 mins to notice a difference when starting the car. They said the tech didn’t find a leak but it was low on refrigerant so they pulled vacuum, didn’t find any leaks, and filled it up to factory specs and measured 42* at the vents. I asked the service advisor if there’s no leak, how’s it low? She goes, not sure, sometimes it can come low from the factory. Lol
There is no such thing as a perfectly sealed system. It has hoses,orings, mechanical seals etc and will lost a small amount. Most lose about 1oz a year. Some more,others less.

I've repaired and recharged many 134 vehicles and while the vacuum will pull in a lot of the initial charge, I have never found that the whole charge will go into the system without the compressor running at some point. I use a refrigerant scale with 30 lb tanks that sounds an alarm when the correct amount is introduced into the system.
Mine fills without it running

Just a thought for the DIY crowd here. You can purchase 8oz cans of 1234yf at autoparts stores. "IF" you can source the compressor, the job can be done DIY. I've never replaced one of these compressors, so I can't share any tricks. However, having worked on all sorts of sealed industrial systems, I can say that disassembly, sealing open ports if the system is open for a while, installing new parts, pulling a vacuum, making sure it holds and servicing then checking for leaks is pretty much standard practice. No real magic there.

HOWEVER, When some compressors designs "pop" (fail catastrophically), they send debris backwards into the system and into the evaporator. This requires a detailed cleaning with fluids and compressed air. I made a tool to clean my F150 evap. Took a full day to flush it out. But I got it right, because it's been 100% for years now.

The debris:

iPl8JPU.jpg

The tool to flush it out: (used solvents, and compressed air)
QeYwpwY.jpg

You don't need to feel obligated to buy an extended warranty to get serviceable lifetimes out of basic auto systems. There is zero excuse for something like an AC system to fail on a three year old car with low mileage. It's a clear sign of poor design and or defective manufacturing processes. This is what the goodwill repair process is for and why mfrs set it up for out of warranty claims.
What year do you believe this is again? The 22 models will be out in 90 days.

On the other hand, the AC compressor in my 98 F150 is original, as is the water pump, alternator and PS pump.

There is no such thing as a perfectly sealed system. It has hoses,orings, mechanical seals etc and will lost a small amount. Most lose about 1oz a year. Some more,others less.
Sure, but it's less than 2 years old. They put a lot more than 2oz back into the system. lol

Called Ford corporate today and spoke with a woman who said she would call the dealer and talk to them. She took down my number but I never heard back from her today. We will see if she calls tomorrow.
Don't be surprised if it takes a few days or so, did you set up a ticket number for a reference? Always get a ticket or job number so you can track what is going on and the rep you speak to can quickly pull up your case.

Remember that it is ultimately the manufacturer , NOT the dealer that will decide whether or not a goodwill repair will be offered.
Make sure you do NOT give up easily, persist because frankly in your case you are clearly deserving of a mfr repair due to the circumstances.
Let them know that it appears there is a manufacturing defect in the compressor and that it doesn't appear to be limited to just your vehicle but possibly many other similar compressors found on your vehicle.

Back