AC DELCO "PROFESSIONAL" PF 64 CUT OPEN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Sayjac
This is the same design as the new Champ made ST 9688 posted by 53 here. Looks like ACDelco using it too now. Was trying to remember if a similar ACD had been posted here before.

Looks pretty good at 5k miles. And no combo valve. Thanks for c&p.

Interesting how they eliminated the thread end bypass...?

When I pull my black ADBV vertical filters … it takes a quart of oil to top up … they hold …

Originally Posted by RD_3
Originally Posted by Sayjac
This is the same design as the new Champ made ST 9688 posted by 53 here. Looks like ACDelco using it too now. Was trying to remember if a similar ACD had been posted here before.

Looks pretty good at 5k miles. And no combo valve. Thanks for c&p.

Interesting how they eliminated the thread end bypass...?
Before the change to new ecore hybrid design, the ST9688 was classic Champ metal endcap with a dome end clicker type bypass. So it never had a combo valve. The new(er) ACDelco for newer GM (no block bypass), never used a combo valve. GM must have specified they wanted poppet type bypass on the ACDelco filters. If one buys the equivalent Champ made ecore filters like ST, a combo valve will be found on most.

As for nitrile adbv, for ~5-6k mi oci's should be fine. It's what found on majority jobber/value tier filters. Apparently, good enough for and ACDelco and Denso filters too.

I have-had multiple instances where a nitrile ADBV started clanging at cold startup only 3-4K into a 5-6K OCI. Sometimes heard barking right from the get-go at zero miles.

I NEVER buy - NEVER trust nitrile ADBV filters. So I avoid them 100%.

Quality filters and oil are not expensive. Buy silicone where applicable. I was able to get both cheap and silicone (Fram EG) with our Malibu listed below. Also able to go cheap and silicone on our new Santa Fe. Our NAPA filter was only 3.49. My Colorado next OCI will see the cheaper K&N.... also silicone at $5.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
I have-had multiple instances where a nitrile ADBV started clanging at cold startup only 3-4K into a 5-6K OCI. Sometimes heard barking right from the get-go at zero miles.

I NEVER buy - NEVER trust nitrile ADBV filters. So I avoid them 100%.

Quality filters and oil are not expensive. Buy silicone where applicable. I was able to get both cheap and silicone (Fram EG) with our Malibu listed below. Also able to go cheap and silicone on our new Santa Fe. Our NAPA filter was only 3.49. My Colorado next OCI will see the cheaper K&N.... also silicone at $5.

To each their own. Never had a issue or failure at work or own car or friends and family's vehicles.

If tractor trailer engine oil filters use nitrile ADBV, they can't be all bad

If you like hearing cold startup chatter-clang, then your musica-ear interests and the willingness to gamble, are different than mine.
I've proven one need-not spend much-more for silicone. Take heed - take heart.

If you like hearing cold startup chatter-clang, then your musica-ear interests and the willingness to gamble, are different than mine.

Good point, which is why I get MC FL400S and Fl910S
wink.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude

Good point, which is why I get MC FL400S and Fl910S
wink.gif

53Stude do you have a used MC 400S filter ?
Blue Oval Fitter is looking for one

Kstanf150: I have a new one, waiting to use it. I can find tons of used oil filters at my workplace also
wink.gif

Considering that Nitrile is even used by some of the biggest, most respected filtration names should really give one pause, if they don't have silicone blinders on. Especially on today's GDI engines (which may be why we see more cartridge filters than pre-GDI days!!) silicone is NOT a good material for applications with hydrocarbon fuels. I'm pretty sure companies like Baldwin and Donaldson, who have any material at their disposal, use what works BEST in each filter's application, not what's in someone's biased ideas.
silicone vs nitrile

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo

Considering that Nitrile is even used by some of the biggest, most respected filtration names should really give one pause, if they don't have silicone blinders on. Especially on today's GDI engines (which may be why we see more cartridge filters than pre-GDI days!!) silicone is NOT a good material for applications with hydrocarbon fuels. I'm pretty sure companies like Baldwin and Donaldson, who have any material at their disposal, use what works BEST in each filter's application, not what's in someone's biased ideas.
silicone vs nitrile

What works for a % of the population, hasn't worked in nitrile for me.
Gotta' remember from many of my prior posts concerning filtering, I bought primarily GM and they are overall majority-sensitive to both nitrile and Fram Ultras.
So I took heed and heart also.

My latest edition Hyundai, discarded their nitrile ADBVs for silicone. Now all the aftermarket fits have turned to silicone, except Supertech 9688 and I base their reason on not wanting to spend more and charge more, like Fram has done with the 9688.
So maybe Im allergic to brands that cry for silicone. Cry equals cold startup clatter - among other issues.

Last edited:
Considering that Nitrile is even used by some of the biggest, most respected filtration names should really give one pause, if they don't have silicone blinders on. Especially on today's GDI engines (which may be why we see more cartridge filters than pre-GDI days!!) silicone is NOT a good material for applications with hydrocarbon fuels.

Doubt even in DI engines with theoretically more fuel dilution, the concentration of hydrocarbons isn't going to affect the silicon ADBV enough to matter. Silicone has other properties that make it much better over nitrile in high and low temperature use. Someone should put a silicone ADBV from a C&P into a jar of gasoline and see what happens to it after a week.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Considering that Nitrile is even used by some of the biggest, most respected filtration names should really give one pause, if they don't have silicone blinders on. Especially on today's GDI engines (which may be why we see more cartridge filters than pre-GDI days!!) silicone is NOT a good material for applications with hydrocarbon fuels.

Doubt even in DI engines with theoretically more fuel dilution, the concentration of hydrocarbons isn't going to affect the silicon ADBV enough to matter. Silicone has other properties that make it much better over nitrile in high and low temperature use. Someone should put a silicone ADBV from a C&P into a jar of gasoline and see what happens to it after a week.

Now you know more than Hyundai?...... hahahaha

But would a nitrile/rubber ADBV even matter for a vehicle that has the filter mounted upside down, or at a angle pointing towards the ground??

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

Now you know more than Hyundai?...... hahahaha

Maybe filter designers and manufacturers who use silicone ADBVs know more than Hyundai. They wouldn't use silicone ADBVs if some fuel dilution caused them to fail or malfunction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back