Absolutely great story- Elon not being held hostage and accepting fear from IT professionals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Truth be told too, if you dig into his personal history Henry Ford was...not a great person...and he held some views that even then were not exactly mainstream or considered favorably(particularly his open and rampant anti-semitism).

The Model T was a wonder of both efficiency of manufacture and also of combining several known but previously unconnected concepts to make that happen.

He was also rather stubborn and it's almost kind of a wonder that the Model A ever made it to market. Chances are Ford would be an important footnote in history if the Model A and the models that followed had never been produced.
I think I heard long ago that, in his dotage, Henry Ford was quoted as saying "The only thing wrong with the Model T was they quit making them!"

It's been speculated that his micromanaging created the horribly stressful situation that led to son Edsel's illness and subsequent premature death.

The last one I read was called High Treason (2) The Great Cover Up: The Assasination of POTUS JFK by: Harrison Edward Livinston-copywrite 1992. This one covers all kind of angles and list up to (27-30) people who were killed or died in many very strange ways. Strange, is how many of these supposed random deaths were nearly all people connected to each other & Washington DC in so many innocent ways. For a while they were dropping like flies. Not talked about much anymore or even at the time but missing Teamster's ex President J.R. Hoffa Sr is also believed to have been sucked down into the JFK killing quicksand that spread so far in all directions.
We've strayed well off topic (a common fault of mine), but this is fascinating stuff. Perhaps Hoffa too? Wow.

What Musk was doing was trying to break the paralysis that happens during decisions and processes.

Case in point: years ago we had a flood event near my previous home that took out a highway bridge over a river. This was a simple bridge, maybe 100 feet and two lanes. The loss of the bridge created a long detour of around twenty miles or so for everyone. Months went by and finally the state announced plans for a new bridge. This required study after study. Meanwhile students had to take that long detour.

A engineer noted that an old railroad trestle adjacent to the washed out bridge was in good shape and within a couple of months a temporary travel point was created. Temporary stop lights at each end plus roadways were made so school buses could travel over the trestle.

Meanwhile years went by before the state finally got going on the bridge. The actual bridge construction took just a few months as it was prefabricated at a plant in Tacoma and hauled in. All the planning and such beforehand took almost five years.

And then there's the I-95 bridge that was reopened in 12 days. Now that's impressive and a lot more involved than loading up a U-Haul with a server rack.

So, would it be fair to state that Elon not kissing the hand of IT professionals to get things done is a indirect threat to many highly paid and likely pompus professions in the IT field?
I worked (got laid off recently) in a large international corp that got hacked, or held ransomware hostage, and our entire company shut down for 4 weeks, because our engineering lab was not in security zone and yet still have access to a lot of our internal tools. Basically someone found out we use some open source software and then they injected some code into it, and eventually we used it and it got into our system, impersonated our CTO and accessed our root certificate and use it to sign a legitimate software / lock out / etc.

We were back to stone age using no laptop, no internet, only voice call, paper and pencil, etc for 4 weeks. All because we don't want to mess with IT rules (for legitimate reason, we can't develop things if we have to sign everything and we can't sign things we haven't test yet).

Good luck to Twitter / X, I'd not be surprised things got taken hostage by ransomware eventually the way Elon goes.

I worked (got laid off recently) in a large international corp that got hacked, or held ransomware hostage, and our entire company shut down for 4 weeks, because our engineering lab was not in security zone and yet still have access to a lot of our internal tools. Basically someone found out we use some open source software and then they injected some code into it, and eventually we used it and it got into our system, impersonated our CTO and accessed our root certificate and use it to sign a legitimate software / lock out / etc.

We were back to stone age using no laptop, no internet, only voice call, paper and pencil, etc for 4 weeks. All because we don't want to mess with IT rules (for legitimate reason, we can't develop things if we have to sign everything and we can't sign things we haven't test yet).

Good luck to Twitter / X, I'd not be surprised things got taken hostage by ransomware eventually the way Elon goes.
Very sorry to hear you were laid off.

It's ok. I was going to look for a new job anyways as the company was a sinking ship, 5 managers in 5 years and 80% of the people I worked for left. Money was good while it last so I can't complain.
Good attitude. I think people sometimes think everything is rosey 100% of the time around here. It ain't. You gotta roll with the blows.
Silicon Valley is a volatile place to work. Feast or famine. Corp politics abound. Wrong people in places of power.

You will land on your feet. Good luck @PandaBear

N35,

That is a great read- love it!! Thanks for the posting of the link...

Two of many fantastic paragraphs from the review:

The absolute worst thing that someone can do [at SpaceX] is inform Musk that what he’s asking is impossible. An employee could be telling Musk that there’s no way to get the cost on something like that actuator down to where he wants it or that there is simply not enough time to build a part by Musk’s deadline. “Elon will say, fine. You’re off the project, and I am now the CEO of the project. I will do your job and be CEO of two companies at the same time. I will deliver it,”’ Brogan said. “What’s crazy is that Elon actually does it. Every time he’s fired someone and taken their job, he’s delivered on whatever the project was.”
SpaceX needed an actuator that would trigger the gimbal action used to steer the upper stage of Falcon 1. Davis had never built a piece of hardware before in his life and naturally went out to find some suppliers who could make an electromechanical actuator for him. He got a quote back for $120,000. “Elon laughed,” Davis said. “He said, 'That part is no more complicated than a garage door opener. Your budget is five thousand dollars. Go make it work.’” Davis spent nine months building the actuator. At the end of the process, he toiled for three hours writing an e-mail to Musk covering the pros and cons of the device. The e-mail went into gory detail about how Davis had designed the part, why he had made various choices, and what its cost would be. As he pressed send, Davis felt anxiety surge through his body knowing that he’d given his all for almost a year to do something an engineer at another aerospace company would not even attempt. Musk rewarded all of this toil and angst with one of his standard responses. He wrote back, “Ok.”

The actuator Davis designed ended up costing $3,900 and flew with Falcon 1 into space.

Last edited:
Sounds like a nightmare to work for.

Why do people work for Musk?​

The book paints a pretty grim picture of working at a Musk company. Employees get handed near-impossible problems, chewed out or fired if they fail, and barely thanked at all if they succeed. Work weeks are 90+ hours. Vance says Elon sent an angry email to a marketing guy who missed an event because his wife was giving birth, telling him to “figure out where your priorities are” (Elon denies this). So why do thousands of people, including the very best and brightest who could get jobs anywhere, work for him?

The cliche answer - that they believe in the mission - is mostly true. But many employees also talked about their past jobs at Boeing or GM or wherever. They would have some cool idea, and tell it to their boss, and their boss would say they weren’t in the cool idea business and were already getting plenty of government contracts. If they pushed, they would get told to file it with the Vice President of Employee Feedback, who might hold a meeting to determine a process to summon an exploratory committee to add it to the queue of things to consider for the 2030 version of the product.

Meanwhile, if someone told Elon about a cool idea, he would think about it for fifteen seconds, give them a million dollars, and tell them to have it ready within a month - no, two weeks! - no, three days! For some people, the increased freedom and the feeling of getting to reach their full potential was worth the cost.

The book paints a pretty grim picture of working at a Musk company. Employees get handed near-impossible problems, chewed out or fired if they fail, and barely thanked at all if they succeed. Work weeks are 90+ hours. Vance says Elon sent an angry email to a marketing guy who missed an event because his wife was giving birth, telling him to “figure out where your priorities are” (Elon denies this). So why do thousands of people, including the very best and brightest who could get jobs anywhere, work for him?

The cliche answer - that they believe in the mission - is mostly true. But many employees also talked about their past jobs at Boeing or GM or wherever. They would have some cool idea, and tell it to their boss, and their boss would say they weren’t in the cool idea business and were already getting plenty of government contracts. If they pushed, they would get told to file it with the Vice President of Employee Feedback, who might hold a meeting to determine a process to summon an exploratory committee to add it to the queue of things to consider for the 2030 version of the product.

Meanwhile, if someone told Elon about a cool idea, he would think about it for fifteen seconds, give them a million dollars, and tell them to have it ready within a month - no, two weeks! - no, three days! For some people, the increased freedom and the feeling of getting to reach their full potential was worth the cost.
I worked for a couple of egomaniacs in my times. It is a real tightrope one walks when dealing with such people. Many times they simply do not really know the people who work for them so they have no grounds to trust them or what to expect from them. Hard to be a very successful business that way. The ones who can get away with it have so much more money than they know what to do with so they can toss bags of money after their hard headed screw ups.

Price's Law says that in any organization the square root of the total number of employees do half the work ...

4 employees - 2 do 50%, the other 2 do 50%

25 employees - 5 do 50%, 20 do 50%

100 employees - 10 do 50%, 90 do 50%

... and so on.

One gets the impression Musk only tolerates that small number of workers who contribute disproportionately, and fires the rest.

I worked for a couple of egomaniacs in my times. It is a real tightrope one walks when dealing with such people. Many times they simply do not really know the people who work for them so they have no grounds to trust them or what to expect from them. Hard to be a very successful business that way. The ones who can get away with it have so much more money than they know what to do with so they can toss bags of money after their hard headed screw ups.

And then he'll blame IT for why the server farm still isn't working right.

And then he'll blame IT for why the server farm still isn't working right.
Exactly. Plus He who really needs their job will not even whisper the truth!?! Those type owners can belittle/demote/chastise + fire victims like a simple bodily function.
I do agree with what set him off. Managers who have too many layers under them to accomplish much in timely fashion. But it is totally ELON's responsibility to correct those things. Maybe he has not had time to evaluate who is working & who is just drawing a salary.
Still its all on him and he has plenty $$$$ to survive his own stupid mistakes.
There are some things I like about the guy but for the life of me I can not understand why he would want to be in a business like the
much argued & fought over EV business? So many other inovations he could be into. I wish he was focused on alternative energies. I really feel at some point soon , someone like an Elon will shock us all and develop another form of energy we have all over looked. I hope.

Well, he fired what, 80% of Twitter workers at a cost of what, 2% of operability? He has made up that 2% and then some with what he has added in terms of platform capability. As tough as he is, I hear engineers are lined up to work for him.

I've had a couple of bosses like him. People who can keep a lot of balls in the air at the same time. Employees are motivated to make sure none of them are their's.

The actuator Davis designed ended up costing $3,900 and flew with Falcon 1 into space.

No it didn't.

It cost a year's worth of salary for at least that one guy and whoever helped with the project.

Maybe it was cheaper in the long run, but that first one was many times that cost up front. They're playing loose with their numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back