Absolutely great story- Elon not being held hostage and accepting fear from IT professionals

Status
Not open for further replies.

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
Wonderful story. Yes in the end some major issues. But Elon Musk not being held hostage by IT guys, can't help but think how much fear mongering IT professionals use to hold hostage organizations in the name of safety and security.

Elon is the man, a must read for those that are not on the IT payroll. Those on the IT fatwagon will likely cry foul.....

Last edited:
Musk could be a tech incarnation of William Wallace and suffer the same figurative fate. Until then BTW, (my) Tesla stock did very well today. If it continues long enough perhaps I should reinvest my profits with a vehicle purchase.

1694463561138.jpg

With due respect its a bit of a self serving article that seems like it was paid by Musk himself, hence the bit publication from the biography. Given there isnt a whole lot of dramatization stories written of office moves, let alone a data center. I was involved in one in 2020 just before Covid and it was dramatic, but we had a well organized project manager and myself as an ad hoc business analyst.

With due respect its a bit of a self serving article that seems like it was paid by Musk himself, hence the bit publication from the biography. Given there isnt a whole lot of dramatization stories written of office moves, let alone a data center. I was involved in one in 2020 just before Covid and it was dramatic.
CAPT B,

What do you do for a living?

The entire second half of the article was about how they literally broke several extremely important compliance rules and stuff still didn't work right. This is what happens when a businessman tries to act right outside of their boundaries.

Praise him all you want but this one act of privacy violations is going to come up in court in the future I feel. If my CEO expected me to move 15,000 servers in a few months across several states and still follow compliance rules, I'd tell them to pound sand or raise my budget to temp hire a lot of contractors.

Last edited:
CAPT B,

What do you do for a living?
Programmer for 16 years, then catch all IT Manager for the past 7 years. The manager role is a bit nebulous which involves PM work, BA work, reviving failed data feeds, you name it.

Programmer for 16 years, then catch all IT Manager for the past 7 years. The manager role is a bit nebulous which involves PM work, BA work, reviving failed data feeds, you name it.
So, would it be fair to state that Elon not kissing the hand of IT professionals to get things done is a indirect threat to many highly paid and likely pompus professions in the IT field?

The [NTT] CEO then told him that some of the floors could not handle more than 500 pounds of pressure, so rolling a 2,000-pound server would cause damage.

The load capacity of a raised floor is typically expressed in pounds per square foot (psf). The current industry standard is 2,500 psf, although some data centers may require higher load capacities.

I once worked for NTT. Not surprised they've still got people who don't know their butt from a hole in the ground.

They used to have a data center manager I butted heads with a few times. Last time I looked him up, he was working as a plumber.

How the heck do you go from "data center manager" to "plumber"?

His most valuable lieutenants at Tesla and SpaceX had learned ways to deflect his bad ideas and drip-feed him unwelcome information, but the legacy employees at X didn’t know how to handle him.

The guy has so many bad ideas that the "lieutenants" (a code word for the real people making things happen) have mechanisms to deflect them?

He handles unwelcome news so poorly, that those tasked with reporting to him can't effectively do so and have to mitigate the information flow?

Sorry, but those aren't welcome traits of an effective leader. They're traits of a sociopath.

But hey, personality cults are a real thing too, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

It's a cowboy story.

Sure, there may be physical room in the target data center. Nevermind all the data security violations moving this the way it was moved, how is the target data center's redundancy once the new racks were added?

What happens if one of the power feeds goes away?

Half the power (for at least some racks) half the HVAC as well when the power goes down. Sure, MAYBE the standby generators will come on line in time...

Just because the servers worked when they were moved to the new data center doesn't mean the reliability is there. It just means they may have difficulty handling an outage.

It already seems the networking to that site wasn't up to the additional traffic when the racks were added.

What happens if they lose network links? Too much traffic for pipes without sufficient redundancy.

Just because it works now doesn't mean it will work if something bad happens.

The thing is, Musk won't get fired for this, the Data Center Manager or someone will take the fall for the impetuous decisions.

And, it may be fine. I don't know enough to say either way. I'm just stating the risks that I don't recall being addressed in the discussion. Even my list isn't exhaustive.

And, to be fair, some of it sounds like a great deal of fear from the IT folks. However, there are processes in place for a reason. Usually, due to some past failure that the process tries to avoid or mitigate if it happens in the future.

Elon is right it can be done. Will it last who knows .

I think Elon is good with killing a few people/paying out settlements with self driving cars instead of fully Baking software. It will improve especially with crashes and he’s right.

IT projects are all filthy expensive. Spend spend spend. Burn cash. Delays. Overruns.
I call IT, especially SAP and Oracle endeavors, a necessary evil. I hate SAP because all the money wasted on it will never be given to me as a bonus.

I've done 3 SAP installations and major upgrades. Multi year projects.
Sometime you might wanna read about Tesla Warp Drive ERP project. Microsoft had a meeting with then CIO Jay Vijayan, me and Microsoft professionals in Redmond to discuss architecture and programming tools.

So, would it be fair to state that Elon not kissing the hand of IT professionals to get things done is a indirect threat to many highly paid and likely pompus professions in the IT field?
No, for the reason javacontour indicated. Don't lap it up.

He put other people's businesses at risk and possibly decertifying the DC for lack of process, unauthorized people.

Yes, DC get certifications by auditing agencies authorizing them to process certain types of data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back