ABOUT politics but not political!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been doing some light reading...Thomas Paine, some Washington/Adams/Jefferson/Lincoln stuff.

Whether I agree with the specifics or not, what strikes me is the level of intellectual effort that these people seemed to put into their writing and speaking. Some of it is pure gold...such a cut above what you read and hear now.

What do you think? It seems sad to me that with all the tools we have for learning now, our discourse is outclassed by people who learned to read from chalky slates. Maybe they just didn't have so many distractions back then.

I think a big part of it is that eloquence and powerful writing are just not valued now. The better you do the more likely you are to lose your audience.

Originally Posted By: Tempest
Sound bites are more important than substance now a days.

Sad but true. The media does the 30-second story with those bites then the people you see create the opportunity for those bites.

Then it's on to the ever-changing health report.

I bet *some* people do put the effort to make a good speech, etc, but you'll have to hunt it down and find it since it doesn't 'sell' nowadays.

I think you're right about the distractions. No internet, cell phones, expelled kids from kissing in school, etc. Life was lived head-on.

Washington et al were preaching to a crowd that was used to the King of England being constantly in their business.

Current generations, except a few immigrants and world travellers, don't appreciate how bad it can get.

Many of you will remember Burns' documentary/history of the Civil War on PBS.
The letters written by common young men of the time were actually eloquent - well versed and articulated.
Anything goes now - feelings are more important . We have slid down a long way.
Thanks for bringing this up, Matt.

Originally Posted By: oilyriser
Possibly, only the educated were able to write, so literature was of a higher quality. Everything else was word of mouth.

And, I suspect that Burns picked the better written letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back