Abandon and vandalized home on one acre in Rio Rico, AZ for $120k USD

looks like a former house in the movie Sicario or breaking bad. hard pass.
I like the lot. The one acre lot appears to be high ground and flat. Has some trees- all looks alright. If no covenants, looks easy to put up a pole barn with minimal excavation.

This is all speculation as we can't see much from the pics, but if I was to buy:
(1) secure the property
(2) fix the roof and fascia to prevent water damage and animal damage
(3) tear down the rear addition
(4) replace the rear addition area with a new wall with wonderful windows (bought at auction)
(5) fix the AC
(6) gut the interior
(7) new kitchen
(8) new bathroom
(9) new flooring- one material for flooring throughout the home

Not such a tough job- especially if one is not in a hurry and does not need immediate occupancy.

Last edited:
The cage in the front of the home is unique. Home built in the early 1990s.
That cage is where you let the dog out at night to do his business if you ever want to see him again, the property doesn't look fenced on googlemaps. We've had 3 dogs in the neighborhood attacked by coyotes jumping the 6' block wall that backs to undeveloped land, 2 had emergency surgery, one disappeared.
Too close to the border if my experience with border towns is any indicator.
Rio Rico is so close to the border the "undocumented migrants" are still going north ASAP. Fact as GON noted.

The problems with plumbing coming through the slab isn't widespread but it isn't rare either. Age, soil, type of pipes, water hardness all factor in. Coming in hot the way it appears GON does there's no way to know if the area or builder have problems. Not a problem until it is and it costs a ton to repair. At least this has city water.

From previous posts about house expectations of your better half this 1500 sq ft house doesn't seem like something you could put any amount of $ into and have a happy wife/happy life. :oops:

Rio Rico is a big retirement destination so there's that. House prices nearby are surprisingly low.

@GON, a swamp cooler isn't AC. 😉

Last edited:
That cage is where you let the dog out at night to do his business if you ever want to see him again, the property doesn't look fenced on googlemaps. We've had 3 dogs in the neighborhood attacked by coyotes jumping the 6' block wall that backs to undeveloped land, 2 had emergency surgery, one disappeared.

Rio Rico is so close to the border the "undocumented migrants" are still going north ASAP. Fact as GON noted.

The problems with plumbing coming through the slab isn't widespread but it isn't rare either. Age, soil, type of pipes, water hardness all factor in. Coming in hot the way it appears GON does there's no way to know if the area or builder have problems. Not a problem until it is and it costs a ton to repair. At least this has city water.

From previous posts about house expectations of your better half this 1500 sq ft house doesn't seem like something you could put any amount of $ into and have a happy wife/happy life. :oops:

Rio Rico is a big retirement destination so there's that. House prices nearby are surprisingly low.

@GON, a swamp cooler isn't AC.
It looks like a place where you retire if you haven't planned well for retirement....You sell your place in a desirable area for major dollars-buy something here far less...and live off the rest of your cashed out equity.

@GON, a swamp cooler isn't AC. 😉

Didn’t know that was the purpose of the cage. I know about coyotes. We have them here. Just got to make sure the dog is large enough to hopefully not get eaten. We have tons of deer as well so that helps. I counted 30 deer in 2 miles on my drive home Friday.

9 miles from Nogales, plus the cage in front. Trafficker house maybe?

Never heard of pipes in concrete being a problem. Its the normal practice here in the Southeast as well. I do know in the 70's and 80's they used polybutylene pipes that failed and had to be replaced - 30 - 40K is common. Maybe that is what your thinking of?
9 Miles from Nogales?
Welcome to living the movie plot "No Country for Old men".

not meaning to be a negative Nelly but;..
You'll never be able to properly secure the property.
The Vandalism is almost certainly from passing illegals.
And you wont be allowed to protect yourself from them, except in the direst cicrumstances.
And protecting property is not considered a "good enough" reason by many in the poisoned judiciary.

Few years back, dude lost his beautiful ranch for this exact reason.
The illegals sued when he held them at gunpoint after multiple break-ins, (or rather their pro invasion neo marxist handlers did) and now those same illegals are living in his former house.

You you wont be allowed to protect yourself from them, except in the direst cicrumstances.
And protecting property is not considered a "good enough" reason by many in the poisoned judiciary.
This is Arizona, not New Yorkistan. 2A is taken seriously, no permit is needed to carry a firearm, concealed or open. It's common to see people open carrying handguns every day. Arizona is a Castle Doctrine state. Individuals can buy and sell firearms privately. No limits on capacity. Justified self defense is not seen as a crime. You can't shoot a person because they're stealing property.

9 Miles from Nogales?

And you wont be allowed to protect yourself from them, except in the direst cicrumstances.

The illegals sued when he held them at gunpoint after multiple break-ins, (or rather their pro invasion neo marxist handlers did) and now those same illegals are living in his former house.
PWMD,

What you described is happening all across our great nation. Just different players. I can't tell you how many stories I have read on the last 24 months of squatters occupying a homeowners residence.

I feel much safer near the Mexican border than I do in countless other locations throughout the USA. Our current home borders a massive joint military installation. Yet my Wife, can't go to the Target shopping on Tuesday afternoon without a real and true fear of being carjacked or worse.

The border needs to be secure, without a doubt. But the safety issue is significantly larger in areas in the US very far from the border.

9 Miles from Nogales?

The illegals sued when he held them at gunpoint after multiple break-ins, (or rather their pro invasion neo marxist handlers did) and now those same illegals are living in his former house
I don't understand how illegals can sue an American rancher. What kind of a jury would even convict him?

I don't understand how illegals can sue an American rancher. What kind of a jury would even convict him?
Same jury that awarded the plaintiff 90 million dollars for this case. Make sure to read the entire story- not just the headline.

Few years back, dude lost his beautiful ranch for this exact reason. The illegals sued when he held them at gunpoint after multiple break-ins, (or rather their pro invasion neo marxist handlers did) and now those same illegals are living in his former house. I don't understand how illegals can sue an American rancher. What kind of a jury would even convict him?e.
Illegals win ranch in 2005 This is the only story that comes up in a search. If @palmerwmd has a link to something different please share it. It's good to know the whole story. And BTW owning a piece of property in Arizona doesn't make a person a rancher.

This was the year we moved to Arizona so I don't really remember it.

Last edited:
Illegals win ranch in 2005 This is the only story that comes up in a search. If @palmerwmd has a link to something different please share it. It's good to know the whole story. And BTW owning a piece of property in Arizona doesn't make a person a rancher.

This was the year we moved to Arizona so I don't really remember it.
Not sure the whole story, around here you can shoot someone if they break into your house as long as they are not shot in the back and are still in the house. A dead man can't sue.

Back