Abandon and vandalized home on one acre in Rio Rico, AZ for $120k USD

Many people have that thought. I think that assessment may be erroneous. I have worked in El Paso, Sierra Vista, Yuma, etc. What I have found is two things (1) law enforcement is alive and well in these areas, (2) the people coming across the border are not looking to do activities that get them arrested near the boarder. I feel significantly safer walking the streets of Nogales, AZ or El Paso, TX day or night, than I would walking the streets of Chicago or in many parts of the Bay area. In fact, I have zero issues walking in downtown El Paso at 2am on a Saturday morning. I can't say that for Chicago or San Francisco.
Or Albuquerque.

I like the lot. The one acre lot appears to be high ground and flat. Has some trees- all looks alright. If no covenants, looks easy to put up a pole barn with minimal excavation.

This is all speculation as we can't see much from the pics, but if I was to buy:
(1) secure the property
(2) fix the roof and fascia to prevent water damage and animal damage
(3) tear down the rear addition
(4) replace the rear addition area with a new wall with wonderful windows (bought at auction)
(5) fix the AC
(6) gut the interior
(7) new kitchen
(8) new bathroom
(9) new flooring- one material for flooring throughout the home

Not such a tough job- especially if one is not in a hurry and does not need immediate occupancy.
Replace evap air with refrigerated AC.

All houses here have concrete foundations. Never heard of an issue with pipes breaking or clogging from non-use. Or any other reason really. Tree roots sure. Our ground is solid.
One of the outdoor pics shown reveals a tree that's much too close to the home. I suspect foundation and/or floor upheaval in 1-2 rooms inside.
I wouldn't even book a walk-around with Real Estate on this one.
Pass

Reactions: GON
Alot of Sheriff Arpaio "tough guy" wanna be's in this thread. :LOL:

So who is going to drive there and take a video? Doing a little google map driving closeby it does look like a decent neighborhood with well kept neighbors, its the actual house photos that still look sketchville.

If anyone can polish home turds into gems on the cheap like he can with vehicles, it’s @GON.
Yea-but this turd doesn't have wheels and can't be moved from that pit of an area-regardless of what GON may say. Yuma, is a hole for sure-that house is in a turd of an area as well. Hint-it wouldn't be cheap and abandoned if it wasn't. Real Estate 101 is the price reflects the desirability of an area-those prices are soft, there is a reason for it.

Last edited:

So who is going to drive there and take a video? Doing a little google map driving closeby it does look like a decent neighborhood with well kept neighbors, its the actual house photos that still look sketchville.
For note, I don't plan on purchasing this property. But I have said that before on other things.

Unlike most deeply distressed properties in today's current environment, this property appears to have a few things going for it that match for me. Specifically the lot. The lot appears to be high- a nice lot. A lot I can park three trailers on, and build a pole barn without much excavation. I looked at a home on eight acres about 30 miles from this home a few months ago. The house placement on those eight acres was so bad- I couldn't easily get my trailers on and off the property without a low six figures in excavation and gravel expenses.

We all need housing, and times for housing may have never been for challenging for US citizens. For decades homes 100 miles plus outside urban areas were often hard to sell/ on the market for a extended period of time. Today, many of those rural homes sell for a premium being on the market just a short time.

I think it is good to share and discuss challenges, risk, rewards of housing. Especially on BITOG, as I think some BITOGers are in a like situation I am in- at or near retirement, and it's good to compare and share notes and ideas.

You can secure that place all you want, but once a vandalized property, always a vandalized property unless someone lives there full time. And even then, someone can tear out the copper pipes in a few hours. Do you really want to deal with the gangs or drug runners?

Reactions: CKN

I actually ran into that fool at the airport in the Admiral's Club. He had a bodyguard and an assistant with him that was treating him like a child, it was really bizarre. He cost Maricopa County a lot of money with his shenanigans. The bodyguard was on the phone and we heard him say "we're in the VIP lounge" :rolleyes: :ROFLMAO:

Same jury that awarded the plaintiff 90 million dollars for this case. Make sure to read the entire story- not just the headline.

The courts - and jury's - are clearly broken.

The appeals court was also broken - they upheld the verdict. https://www.transportdive.com/news/werner-texas-appeal-blake-family-92-million-dollars/650863/

• Sad
Reactions: GON
Had the opportunity to view the home in person. Likely a outstanding buy for a person who can do the work themselves.

Home has a wonderful lot, and is surrounded by homes in a significantly higher price range. Back of home has awesome views.

Not a pie on the sky, but for $120k with this lot, this location, I suspect one with 100k in materials could have a very beautiful home the would appraise for over $500k.

A lot to like in this home. Wish I had a wife like @Pablo who says yes to everything he wants to do.y wife would divorce me if I purchased this.

PXL_20230818_193122905.jpg
PXL_20230818_193148544.jpg
PXL_20230818_193302621.jpg
PXL_20230818_193322766.jpg
PXL_20230818_193515212.jpg
PXL_20230818_193523277.jpg
PXL_20230818_193540442.jpg
PXL_20230818_193639051.jpg

I'm not sure about AZ's real estate market, but if the nearby homes are 300k and this one is 120k, someone who would buy it would likely be a general contractor keeping his crew employed and things to work on cheap vs someone having to hire others to do the work. 180k in California can probably remodel a kitchen and 2 bathrooms, and if this home is gutted and trashed it can cost more than this.

Not sure who the target buyer is but the school district is meh, not super bad but not highly desirable either. Judging by the price the job market nearby is probably not too high paying either.

My ex plant supervisor lives just a mile or so from there. From his property line to the border is less than 7 miles of nothing but open country. Border Patrol Officer Brian Terry was shot and killed several miles NORTH of there.

Lack of border and immigration policy enforcement has turned it into a dangerous place. Not worth being there at ANY price. The south end of Sierra Vista has become much the same.

Back