A little confusion at Firestone..

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't let Firestone work on my wheelbarrow with one moving part(excludes old flatulent guy providing motive power).
frown.gif

The $20 coupon oil change is for "most cars" with "most cars" being pre 2003 that take 5w30.

It includes $6 worth of bulk oil and a $2 filter, so $12 for labor.

The $55 coupon syn change has $20 worth of oil, a $2 filter, $12 in labor, and $21 in profit.

Service writer was confused about dexos as others said, but you got good oil.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Dexos is just a license. It is a back-handed way for GM to gain a revenue source from oil companies due to their market share. Shell/Pennzoil just has the license just because it does not want to be excluded. Most 0w20 will be licensed with Dexos because they are only in blend/syn flavors as is most Dexos oil.

Not true. Its not merely a 'license'. The dexos1 specification is just that, a performance specification, and tougher than SN alone. Almost all major 0w20 oils out there are dexos1 anyway.

In short, dexos1 is not a disqualifier; on the contrary, its a qualifier for a better oil than plain SN GF-5 oils.

The Firestone shop worker was merely noting that all their 0w20 is dexos1 qualified, thats all. Just meant they don't carry the TGMO, MGMO, or Honda 0w20s that don't bother with dexos1 tests.

This thread is great. What the Firestore guy was telling him was "we are putting a better oil in your car" than Honda specs.

But somehow there is bashing on Firestone. Just another day here on BITOG. If I don't change it in my driveway it's just not right!

Last edited:
Firestone aggravated me a while back. I had a brake caliper sticking and wanted to have them change one caliper and brake pads. Said they only replace sets and needed to do brake pads, calipers and rotors on my Montero for $1400. I choked and laughed at the same time. Told them all I need is pads and caliper not entire job. They said no we only offer the entire package. I told them no way can do it all myself for under $200 and 2 hours time so no thanks. They lost business by not doing what this customer asked.

I also had a ruptured brake line that needed replaced on my grand marquis another time. Ken Towerey quoted me $1600 plus $38 diagnostic fee. Told them I only need one brake line said they only do them all. Got the one line changed for $140 at a small local shop and has been fine for over a year. They tried to tell me they were protecting me from myself at KT. Theives as far as I am concerned. Won't do the work that a customer asks just package deals to make more money and I am guessing they know a certain % of people just do whatever they say.

Originally Posted By: CKN
This thread is great. What the Firestore guy was telling him was "we are putting a better oil in your car" than Honda specs.

Its a common misconception that dexos1 is just for GM engines, since its a GM spec. Nobody else's spec, it belongs to GM. ... If you haven't read the dexos1 spec, you might understandably assume its not for Fords, Hondas, etc., when it actually is better than what a lot of American, Japanenese, and Korean cars spec.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: nolo
2016 V6 Honda Accord

I normally go to the dealer to get oil changes, since the car is new. I was out of town and went to a Firestone. The guy at the counter said that his system was pulling up that my vehicle required synthetic with dexos1. I had a promotional coupon, so I didn't know if he was trying to just push me to a higher oil change. I looked up the owner's manual and it did not state it required synthetic, but it did recommend 0w20 which seems to only come in a blend or full synthetic. I particularly says not to use any cleaners While I was there, he told me that dexos1 was required due to it having cleaning agents. Dexos1 seems to be used in GM vehicles.

Since there was so much confusion, I found another coupon for a penzoil full synthetic oil change for 55 (original standard oil change was 20). He said that will work. I just looked at my paperwork and it states he put in Dexos.

Will this damage the engine due to the cleaners? It's a new car, so I don't want to void the warranty in any way. The car has a oil life monitor. I believe that it goes about 10k before saying you need an oil change.

Although not required, all dexos1 oils sold here are also GF-5. So, you are fine. However, the reverse is not true because dexos1 is more stringent than GF-5. Nevertheless, GM is the only company that requires dexos1. He was wrong on this.

Again, although not required, all 0W-20 oils sold here are also full-synthetic. So, you are fine again. Honda (and Toyota as well) requires a full synthetic implicitly through the 0W-20 spec. He was right on this one.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Again, although not required, all 0W-20 oils sold here are also full-synthetic.

Wrong. Pennzoil Blend and QS Blend 0w20 oils are dexos1 Gen2 approved already. Also, Honda 0w20 is a blend.
Originally Posted By: Gokhan
Honda (and Toyota as well) requires a full synthetic implicitly through the 0W-20 spec. He was right on this one.

No, not true. Honda has a 0w20 blend of their own. Toyota's TGMO is a full syn, yet the owner's manuals say any 0w20 SN oil is OK, allowing the use of Pennz and QS blends, as well as some other blends out there, such as the Trop-Artic blend mentioned in this thread.

It was just an upsell.

But most good quality, non-Euro and non 10W30, oils are Dexos these days. It's a good quality standard and I would happily run it in your car.

Also they were just saying not to used extra snake-oil cleaners added to the oil. I agree because a well formulated oil has enough detergents and dispersants added to the oil at the design stage. They are a complete product, as is.

Nothing to worry about mate.

I don't think the OP ever confirmed what multi-weight the store used, anywhere from 0w-20 to 5w-30 from their 55 gallon drums? The last time I went to a Firestone store for an oil change was 34 years ago, and they overfilled the sump of my 1979 Pontiac Lemans by a quart.

Best advice for a Honda owner: if you don't DIY, then go to a Honda dealer for a plain old oil and filter change. Many Honda dealers run oil change specials.

Shocked that no one has insisted the OP immediately dump out this unknown oil and change it himself !

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
Shocked that no one has insisted the OP immediately dump out this unknown oil and change it himself !

When you don't change it yourself, you don't know what they really put in. Many reports of bulk oil being put in thats not the spec or grade the customer thinks they are getting.

Any 0W-20 is going to be a decent oil and all oils have detergent add packages.
dexos 1 does go a little beyond what API and ILSAC require in an oil, so a dexos 1 oil may be a better oil than an oil not meeting that cert.
PP is a dexos 1 oil but that in no way makes it unsuitable for your Honda since it also meets the API spec Honda requires.
I find it hard to believe that you joined this site five years ago and don't already now all of this.
Finally, fifty five clams for a full syn oil change is reasonable, although you could have done it yourself for less than half that using a better oil filter to boot.

Given how common the 0W-20 grade has become, it probably is a bulk oil at many shops.

Wonder how hard it would be to pump low-cost "whatever is cheapest" brand SN 5w30 oil into the 55-gal drums labelled "0w20"? Lube shops wouldn't need to actually buy the more expensive syn or syn-blend 0w20 flavors. Suspicious.

Originally Posted By: nolo
I normally go to the dealer to get oil changes, since the car is new. I was out of town and went to a Firestone.

Why not wait until you got back 'home' ?

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson

When you don't change it yourself, you don't know what they really put in. Many reports of bulk oil being put in thats not the spec or grade the customer thinks they are getting.

True-but your car won't blow up from it. Many Frankenstein oil mixes here on BITOG prove that-not to mention some who blatantly ignore whats in the owners manual-"because it's too thin".

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc
Dexos is just a license. It is a back-handed way for GM to gain a revenue source from oil companies due to their market share. Shell/Pennzoil just has the license just because it does not want to be excluded. Most 0w20 will be licensed with Dexos because they are only in blend/syn flavors as is most Dexos oil.

Not true. Its not merely a 'license'. The dexos1 specification is just that, a performance specification, and tougher than SN alone. Almost all major 0w20 oils out there are dexos1 anyway.

In short, dexos1 is not a disqualifier; on the contrary, its a qualifier for a better oil than plain SN GF-5 oils.

The Firestone shop worker was merely noting that all their 0w20 is dexos1 qualified, thats all. Just meant they don't carry the TGMO, MGMO, or Honda 0w20s that don't bother with dexos1 tests.

It is the classical definition of a license! License products normally carry some sort of product requirements/specification... but not all specs require a licensing fee.

A "specification" is just a requirement to meet a certain standard... a license requires a "payment". You can have a higher specification such as Honda's HT0-06 that does not require a payment to Honda. A lot of Synblend and Syns already meet Dexos but to get that label, it would require lining GM's pockets.

Wonder how hard it would be to pump low-cost "whatever is cheapest" brand SN 5w30 oil into the 55-gal drums labelled "0w20"? Lube shops wouldn't need to actually buy the more expensive syn or syn-blend 0w20 flavors. Suspicious.

A manufacturer could mis-package oil and ship it to retailers as well (presuming it got past their QA checks) and consumers would never know the difference.

Just to give an update.

I spoke to the manager about the incident. He apologized for the confusion and was kind of saying the same things you guys are saying.

The original associate wasn't informative and that is where I was getting confused. He seemed like he was trying to upsell rather than explain the differences.

The only issue I had was that the coupon stated penzoil full synthetic and they put in a 0w 20 blend. The manager didn't have an answer for that one. He said he would issue a partial or full refund for the confusion, but it has been over a week without any refund. I would be content with just receiving a refund for the difference between the blend and full synthetic. I'm not sure what that amount would be.

To answer a few of the questions above. I was around 1300 miles away from home, so I wanted to get the oil changed. The oil life meter was down to zero. Also, someone mentioned that I have been on here for years and they were surprised I didn't know the answer to my questions. I only posted a few times on this forum and that was years ago. Just because you have been a member for years doesn't mean you are active. I do, however, come to the site from time to time to gain knowledge on the best types of filters and recommended oils. It's a very resourceful site.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back