A/C takes a while to cool down....

Status
Not open for further replies.
E150GT said:
I use windshield shades for all my vehicles. Made by covershield. Helps a lot with tint. My truck takes a while too but it gets there. I don't know about modern German cars, but the old ones struggled in Texas, even when new. [/q
quote]

Been using sunshades in mine for years....helps a bunch!

Originally Posted By: E150GT
Made by covershield.

Where are these sold? Are these those thick high end ones?

Originally Posted By: FowVay
I have had three separate cases with A5 Jetta/Golf vehicles where the refrigerant control valve has been corroded and caused lazy A/C performance. It's a cheap and easy replacement item. Evacuate system, replace valve, recharge system.

This is a really common VW failing. Starts with the compressor generating a little bit of aluminium grunge which makes its way around and makes the valve sticky. Ends with replacement of the compressor, condenser, drier & TXV when the compressor finally gives out in a puff of aluminium dust.

The valve is a pretty quick and easy replacement. When you pop it out, if it's relatively clean then you just have a sticky valve. That happens a *lot*. If it has aluminium smudge on it then start saving. Flip a coin. Either way it's likely to be the valve.

As it gets worse it'll gradually go from 30 seconds to a couple of minutes to 10 minutes. It is reliant on mechanical vibration and pressure freeing it up until it starts working, then it'll be ok for the remainder of the drive.

With my wifes old Golf, I found getting the revs right up would free it up a lot quicker (ie thrash it). I have a new valve sitting on my desk to put in the car before we sell it on, but being the middle of winter I don't have a lot of mojo for A/C work at the moment
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: E150GT
Made by covershield.

Where are these sold? Are these those thick high end ones?

Thats what we have for the Jetta, it fits the windshield perfectly. Also folds up nicely when not in use.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
901Memphis said:
People bought a new 6th gen Civic new when I was there and we got complaints for the lousy AC it had. The condenser on those old Civics are
barley any bigger than a paper towel.

Can confirm, I have a 1999 Civic. On, say, a 85 degree day the AC does a decent job of staying cool but if it's 90 or above, even at full blast, the inside of the car gets toasty.

Probably nothing wrong. It takes a short time to cool down the dash and ductwork.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
I have had three separate cases with A5 Jetta/Golf vehicles where the refrigerant control valve has been corroded and caused lazy A/C performance. It's a cheap and easy replacement item. Evacuate system, replace valve, recharge system.

I just ordered one of these this week for my wife's Jetta. Now I have to find a shop to do it since I don't have AC tools.

Before you do anything that costs much, you might try cleaning your condenser coil first. I spray Tuff Stuff foaming cleaner in there liberally first and let it soak for an hour or so (it is actually a strong cleanser that can work for a lot of things, not just upholstery!), then follow up with a firm spray of water; nothing hard enough to damage the fins. This can aid efficiency more than you might think. Simple and cheap thing to try first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back