99-2001 honda accord question

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys a friend of mine has a 2 door v6 honda accord auto and everytime she fills up the tank she has issues. it gets hard to start, when it does start it jolts and jerks and shuts off. after a few mintues it will start but idle funny then after a bit its fine and will run fine... when the fuel goes down a little bit nothing happens. its fine... my guess was the charcoal canister.. no CEL lights or nothing..

Sounds like your guess of possible overfilling each time (topping off) which could mess with the canister, or perhaps the fuel pump has a short in it that only acts up when submerged completely or a bit of gas gets near anything electrical.

The funny idle could be the EGR ports. Take the intake phelum off and give it a good clean. I have 2001 TL and its pretty much the same engine, and I had the weird idle issue. IF that does not do it, they its the IACV(idle air control valve) This is below the TB. You can take it and clean the carbon out of there.

ill check into that but the issue is that when she fills up to the top with fuel the car does this. once the fuel has been lowered the car is totally fine...i speculate its the canister.

The 2004 Mazda 3 became famous for this due to something called a 'purge valve'. That may be what's plaguing the Honda. It does something for emissions, and when not functioning properly, can really mess with driveablity. When mine went out, I initially got a CEL, but no running problems. The day I drove it to the dealership, I had to stop for gas. It was running fine until I put gas in it, and I nearly didn't get it started after the fillup. It choked and gasped and puffed black smoke. After the new valve was put in, all was well.

We are not supposed to overfill our tanks, so this probably is normal. You may be getting liquid fuel in vapor lines.
It MAY be the tank ventilation/purge system, but it also may be working correctly, and it will do this when overfilled..

it only just started doing this a month ago.. she always tops off but now its just doing that. where would this valve be? or anything else i should check?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back