'98 Accord 2.3L Kreen Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Coincidentally, a guy at AAP said the 10W-40 could impact the timing which, in turn, could contribute to the knocking... (he's also the guy who suggested the MMO was turning my plugs red). Not to dispute what you're saying fdcj27 - I, too, think this can should run well on 10W-40, but it's just odd that the tick turned into a knock shortly after the oil change

I "KNOW" it doesn't need cleaning but i'm on a mission - I have easy access to the car; I have the time; and I'm anxious as all get out to see if the Kreen does anything at all to the varnish.. just a project, not a necessity. But wouldn't you all like to see as well? I can't imagine it would do any harm...

You mentioned a couple things come to mind that might be causing the knocking... I'm afraid to ask....?

Originally Posted By: Finz
LOL... what a concept...!

I know you're just having fun (at my expense, no less
blush.gif
) but the only reason I considered the half-treatment approach was because it really doesn't need of a cleaning, if any, at all

And, besides, I seem to recall a certain someone who was doing their own MY KREEN TEST that seemed to begrudge the directions himself - winged it, if you will.

Now who was that? Hmmmm...

Pot, I would like to introduce you to Kettle
grin.gif

I didn't mix Kreen with MMO and I used the proper dose. I also discussed what I planned on doing with Kano Labs and got their thumbs up. I'll ignore the sarcasm.
smile.gif
No point in getting this thread locked up.

demarpaint... I was only having fun with you. I certainly wasn't being serious and didn't mean to offend. I apologize if it came across as offensive I''ve been a fan of BITOG for some time now and pay close attention to what you have to offer - which is quite a lot

For what it's worth, you are the reason I even considered Krreen, and I followed that thread very closely with interest... Still do... and saw/understood your plan of attack with the Kreen project. I was just cracking wise and taking advantage of an opening that was laid out there

I see now that I'm too new in here to flex my humor muscles - I mistakenly relied upon those stupid emoticons as well

Don't mean to get all mushy but I do apologize sincerely

as others have said, hand clean the inside of the valve cover, and button her back up---you are more likely to do harm than any good. You purchased a very nicely maintained vehicle.
I'll even buy your Kreen from you, if having it on the shelf bothers you

Originally Posted By: steve20
as others have said, hand clean the inside of the valve cover, and button her back up---you are more likely to do harm than any good. You purchased a very nicely maintained vehicle.
I'll even buy your Kreen from you, if having it on the shelf bothers you

LOL... I'm going to place it dead center and alone on a shelf in plain view. It will be good practice for me in not falling victim to my many indulgences

In all seriousness, though, I don't plan on using it in that car, but do you really think it could prove detrimental?

Don't mean to get all mushy but I do apologize sincerely

No problem. What's it going to be now, to Kreen, or not to Kreen? My head is spinning. LOL

Mine too.... I blame it on the minty (?) scent . For now I'm going to pass on the Kreen and just get that 10W-40 out of there

I have a sneaky suspicion that the grade jump from 5w-30 to 10w-40 HM was overkill.

Just can't stomach the "tick turned knock" within the first... 15-20 miles? Can't be a coincidence and its making me very nervous

I only wish I'd taken that valve cover off back in '09. So pleased with how good it looks in there and would LOVE to attribute it to Mobil 1 but I'll never know for sure

Yet another missed opportunity

I really don't think that 10W-40 hurt your engine. I mean doesn't your owner's manual allow a bunch of different viscosities? The one for my 1996 Accord sure does, all the way up to 20W-50.

That ticking turned knocking - that is uber common on these engines. Mine does it, if you do some Googling around you will find threads about it on lots of Honda boards. No one seems to know what causes it, most chalk it up to piston slap which it may be. I do not know. All I know is that mine is quite loud especially when cold, but has caused absolutely no loss of power nor increased oil consumption. My daughter just drove that car out to California and it made it fine. Initially the noise worried me a lot but now I'm used to it I guess.

Mine too.... I blame it on the minty (?) scent . For now I'm going to pass on the Kreen and just get that 10W-40 out of there

I have a sneaky suspicion that the grade jump from 5w-30 to 10w-40 HM was overkill.

Just can't stomach the "tick turned knock" within the first... 15-20 miles? Can't be a coincidence and its making me very nervous

Even if you won't, I will attribute it to M1. I've posted pictures here of both my Sienna and my BMW, both of which have had M1 since new. Even the 1MZ-FE in the Sienna looks great after 255,000 miles.

I only wish I'd taken that valve cover off back in '09. So pleased with how good it looks in there and would LOVE to attribute it to Mobil 1 but I'll never know for sure

Yet another missed opportunity

I won't and can't disagree with you on that at all... I mentioned the oil loss to folks and researched here and other places and heard many times over that a simple jump from 5W-30 to 10w-40 would mitigate the oil loss to some degree... Even reading that Motor Oil Univeristy or whatever it's called in here made mention of this approach - they didn't like it but mentioned it

But (and I know this horse is dead,dead,dead) it just seems so strange that within hours (call it 30 miles) of my switch, the tick goes away and the knock starts with a vengeance...

I'm going to throw $30 at it and go back to a 5w-30 prematurely just to cross it off my list... If it doesn't help, then I'll move on to another potential cause

I hate the idea of a noise like that with no answer... BTW: I have to google piston slap. Never heard that before

In all fairness, the car is "worth" maybe $1,200 at best (that's probably generous). But to ME, knowing the car's reliability, comfort, appearance, familiarity,... All the intangibles : it would cost me a solid $5k + to replace it. Fortunately, I enjoy tinkering with the engine so long as there is a light at the end of the tunnel

I miss my schwinn with the banana seat

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

GreatHondaTricks

crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif
45.gif

Have you sold the Taurus yet?

I sure hope it's not him, as he is posting about his daughter's car. That means that we have a second generation of GHT.
37.gif

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

GreatHondaTricks

crackmeup2.gif
lol.gif
45.gif

Have you sold the Taurus yet?

I sure hope it's not him, as he is posting about his daughter's car. That means that we have a second generation of GHT.
37.gif

Another reincarnate??????????

I don't understand the Taurus reference... figured it to be a misdirected Reply

does it matter? N

The Taurus reference was to suggest you might be an alias of someone who used to have a Volvo and then may or may not have had an Astro and/or a Blazer (neither of which ran for long) and then a Taurus that kept losing Overdrive because it needed a turn signal lens.

Coincidentally, a guy at AAP said the 10W-40 could impact the timing which, in turn, could contribute to the knocking... (he's also the guy who suggested the MMO was turning my plugs red). Not to dispute what you're saying fdcj27 - I, too, think this can should run well on 10W-40, but it's just odd that the tick turned into a knock shortly after the oil change

I "KNOW" it doesn't need cleaning but i'm on a mission - I have easy access to the car; I have the time; and I'm anxious as all get out to see if the Kreen does anything at all to the varnish.. just a project, not a necessity. But wouldn't you all like to see as well? I can't imagine it would do any harm...

You mentioned a couple things come to mind that might be causing the knocking... I'm afraid to ask....?

Umm...

Rod bearings.
Main bearings.
If you have a real knock, it's one or the other.
Either way, you'll know pretty soon if either is the case.
IIRC, you mentioned in one of your threads that this car was run very low on oil for an unknown period of time.
This is never a good thing.
The engine was probably also overheated to some degree when the rad was leaking.
This is never a good thing with any engine, especially one made of alloy, as this one is.
Take this car to someone with some savvy and let them listen to the knock.
The guy at AAP doesn't count.

Thanks Yonyon... Caught red handed I guess. And here I thought the fake glasses and mustache were fool proof

That's a lot of bearing talk... No offense but I hope you are wrong

At another poster's suggestion, I checked out "piston slap" in a honda forum. Apparently I'm not alone and I've been saying Knock when I guess the appropriate term is piston slap... A number of videos to view and most were far worse than what I'm experiencing. Granted this is a new development

I'll hook up with my mechanic next week if the oil change doesn't do what I hope (rained all day here so I never got a chance)

I'll research this next but as I'm typing it occurs to me to ask: is there any correlation between an engine ticking and a piston slap? Put another way - might the piston slap be a manifestation of the ticking? No right? Valves on top... Pistons beneath

For a guy who thought he knew his way around a car, I'm like a babe in the woods here...!

Always, thanks for any input

Piston slap should go away in a few minutes after the engine has run a bit. If it doesn't, I believe it's something else.

Just drained the 10w-40 and added 5W-30 Mobil Super with Pure One filter. Surprisingly strong Kreen odor in oil from Piston soak. I called and they said that was normal

Took a 10 mile spin - around the neighborhood and then on the highway up to 60 mph at times.

Noise is still there and the car was at normal op temp and running for at least 15 minutes.

So much for my 5w-30 fix.

I took a video of the engine making all that noise but haven't figured out how to upload in here yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back