Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: volk06
Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Originally Posted By: Bronco1
Thanks Brocluno! Yeah, my buddy's looking for a Bronco II or Ranger now
wink.gif

I never thought about using HDEO. It doesn't seem to be a problem with the owner's manual recommendation except they recommend 10w-30 or 5w-30 for colder areas like mine. They only say to avoid "...Oils labeled API SA, SB, SC, SD, SE, SF or SG". It's been below 0 a few times this week already. I saw Shell T-6 comes in a 5w-40. Maybe that's an option?

Thanks for the rest of the info, too!
grin.gif

10w-30 is typically thinner than a 5w-40, even though it's 5w. T6 is a solid oil and so is M1 0w-40, castrol 0w-40.

We always ran 10w-30 in them when I was growing up and never had an issue even when subzero.

Yes, 10w-30's are, by virtue of being xW-30's, thinner than an xW-40. However the 5w-40 will have better cold temperature performance, as it has to in order to obtain the 5W-xx designation.

My point being, that when looking at viscositiy, a 10w30 will be thinner than a 5w-40 at ambient temps until
Extreme cold temperatures, which he does not appear to be facing.

Yes, it will be thinner probably right down to before it approaches the CCS measuring temperature for the grade I would imagine. it is -25C for the 10W-xx designation, or -13F. So maybe around or just below -20C (-4F) which sounds like temperatures he might experience, no?

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
-4F is -20C, which in turn is getting pretty close to the cranking limit for the 15w-xx designation, which is -25C (-13F). In the GWN, if I'm looking for something with added AW protection (HDEO or similar) then I'll use a 5w-40 or 0w-40, I've had excellent results with both in many a 302, including a number of built ones.

However, as I noted earlier, your stock roller 302 is not a demanding application and calls for an xW-30. AFE 0w-30 would be an excellent choice with exception cold temperature performance, which is likely overkill, but if you can get it on sale, why not right?
grin.gif

Correction, I should have said pumping limit above. The cranking limit (CCS) for a 15W-xx is -20C (-4F), the pumping limit (MRV) is -25C (-13F).

CCS/MRV temps (C):
0W-xx -35/-40
5W-xx -30/-35
10W-xx -25/-30
15W-xx -20/-25
20W-xx -15/-20

So we have established that the temperatures he sees, there is no real difference between a 10w-30 and 5w-40. Now if the temperatures were constantly-25c or below, then this would be a different conversation. My case in point, no real advantage of a 5w-40 over a 10w-30 in temps he normally experiences.

So we have established that the temperatures he sees, there is no real difference between a 10w-30 and 5w-40. Now if the temperatures were constantly-25c or below, then this would be a different conversation. My case in point, no real advantage of a 5w-40 over a 10w-30 in temps he normally experiences.

No, I don't see a big advantage of running a heavier than necessary lubricant in an engine that doesn't require a 5w-40 in the first place. That's why I recommended a 0w-30 on the off-chance that he does see some extreme lows during the winter and generally you can find it on sale for around the same price as a 5w-30.

Given that used oil is allowed to creep up a W rating in service, it is quite possible for the 10w-30 to have an impact on starting performance, particularly with an old Windsor. Based on this, if he's not going to go the synthetic route, a 5w-30 would still be a better option than the 10w-30, and they will be the same price.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back