'95 Accord (or similar) opinions/info please

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are lucky to get honest maintenance info about a car with high mileage. If you take care with the maintenance and driving you can expect a lot more miles to come. I have an 84 Civic wagon that hit 386k miles before any major work. It's getting valve seals, a new cam and rockers. I'm going to drive this car to my grave. I'm turning 62 an expect to die by 75, and with reduced use I may still hit 500k miles. It's a wagon with a lot of room so I won't need a coffin.

95 accord EX wagon, biggest pile of junk I ever owned, engine blew at 124,000, leather seats rotted and turned to powder, seats were extremely uncomfortable on long trips. 4cyl, Bad gas mileage, be lucky to get 28 on the highway.
Other than that it was a great car
smirk.gif

Quote:

I just got back from my mechanic after having him pull the codes. Left rear speed sensor... approx $200 parts/labor. No other codes present.

Rear wheel speed sensors going bad on Honda/Acura cars is very common. That was a common problem for better than 10 years. Personally I would get it replaced, so the ABS works. ABS is nice to have in the snow, it helps the car stop in a straight line instead of sliding all over the place.

That's true, it really does help in the winter. My car before this didn't have ABS and whenever i'd drop my friend off after school, i'd always slide past his house
laugh.gif

I had a '94 Accord Ex Wagon. The F22B1 VTEC motor was bulletproof but the auto tranny wasn't the greatest(Step-brother had a '95 with 5-spd, very good tranny). Reverse went out at 155-160K and then all the gears went at around 175-180K. The car was maintained since new but I beat the #@$%! out of it on Kentucky back roads. Overall, a decent car but get the manual.

Yeah, I agree, the transmissions and rust are the achilles heel of the Honda cars. Love 'em otherwise, just takes some TLC on the transmission. I try to have my fluid changed as often as possible.

I saw a ton of these at the college I just graduated from. I'd say most of them were driven by girls who believe that all their car maintenance can be performed at Jiffy Lube (I can't imagine any of them plunking down $1000 of their mall budget for a new timing belt). So either Honda must have gotten something right there or I'm just seeing an unusual number of these cars in NC, particularly at my school. But that is just an observation without any solid evidence.

Check the spark plug boots for oil. My daughter had a 94 4cyl,160k, with oily boots.She totaled it(she was OK thank goodness)before I could replace the valve cover gasket that comes with the plug hole gaskets.

While looking for a replacement car for her I looked at another 94 4cyl on a lot and it had oily boots. Asked a friend that has a 95 4cyl if I could check his and his were oily as well.

If I remember correctly it was worse on outside plug,drivers side.

Don`t let me look for you,they will be oily!
shocked.gif

jeremiah-

The trouble with oily spark plug boots has to do with many mechanics/owners tend to ignore replacing oil pan gasket along with the spark plug tubes seal (or some calls them gaskets). Also: many mech who does tuneups on them would tend to ignore them even though it's a sure sign in need of replacement when you started detecting weeping.

I bet ya almost all Honda owners and some mechs tend to ignore something as simple as these spark plug gaskets. Honda fanatics would replace them w/o even thinking it twice.

Kind of
offtopic.gif
but could the oil ground the plug at low rpm`s and cause a rough idle? The plug boots I saw were soaked pretty good and the cars vibrated a lot at idle.

I`m not knocking the car,this is a minor problem.I was looking forward to fixing it for her and keeping it maintained. Would of lasted forever.

I don't believe that would be the cause for your rough idling, unless the plugs were fouled. Mine has a slightly rough idle but everything's all brand new under the hood. I was told by the Acura dealership that a bit of steering wheel vibration/shaking is normal for that year.

Pull the IAC off the intake.(two 12mm bolts hold it on)Inside the IAC you will see a small metal screen. If it has any black soot blocking the screen you just found your rough idle. Clean the soot off but don't flood it with any type of cleaner. Re-install and head on down the road for another 100K.
coffeetime.gif

Quote:

I had a '94 Accord Ex Wagon. The F22B1 VTEC motor was bulletproof but the auto tranny wasn't the greatest(Step-brother had a '95 with 5-spd, very good tranny). Reverse went out at 155-160K and then all the gears went at around 175-180K. The car was maintained since new but I beat the #@$%! out of it on Kentucky back roads. Overall, a decent car but get the manual.

See how spoiled Honda and Toyota owners are. When we loose a tranny at 150-170K miles we feel the car didn't hold up as it should. When a domestic owner's tranny goes out at 40-60K they just thank the Maker they paid 600 bucks for an extended warranty.
laugh.gif
Honda Accords trannys of this era (1992-1997) would fail early if not serviced with Honda ATF regularly. There were not readily avalible substitutes for the ATF-Z1 back then and many questionable shops just poured D1 or D2 in them. Shudder was the most common result but I also think it would shorten the life of the unit if continually used.
After dealing with the public and their cars I have found there is a minority of them that are not going to be pleased if they have to do anything other than pour the cheapest grade of gas they can find in their car and run it in the ground. This type of person will never be happy with a car like a Honda, Toyota, because they do require regular maintenance in order to get the most possible miles out of them. They will gripe about things like timing belts,having to adjust the valves,cleaning the throttle bodies. Never mind that if they do these items as well as the other maintenance the car has a real possibility of hitting 400K and still be worth something when it does.

My car is a fourth generation Accord I bought from my parents last October. It has been an excellent car (it was also the car I learned to drive on 6 years ago). The biggest problems so far have been due to rust (northeast winters) and worn suspension/driveline components (left CV joint, sway bar links). The engine is in fantastic shape with 152,000 miles on it now.

I did have the oil-in-sparkplug-tubes problem. It seems to be very common. Maintenance records I got when I received the car indicated that a mechanic had noticed the oil in the tubes and replaced the valve cover gasket and presumably the tube seals. I'm not sure if the oil in my tubes was simply left over -- it dripped into the cylinders when I replaced the spark plugs recently and the only consequence was some blue smoke on the next startup. As far as I can tell, the oil hasn't reappeared. The engine has not been consuming a noticeable amount of oil over the 2000 mile change intervals I used with Auto-RX (I am now onto a 5000 mi change interval).

In general I think the 4th generation and 5th generation seem to be pretty nice cars. Primary problems are rust, worn suspension and drive line components, automatic transmissions (mine is a 5 speed.. but I've heard bad things about the automatics).

One forum resource I have not seen previously mentioned here is http://www.driveaccord.net/forums/index.php

I've got a 95 4 cyl auto, bought new in Dec 2004. Car has been fantastic, only issues besides normal maintenance has been the ABS (common) and a part of the ignition that went (can't remember which part), only time the car ever died on me, and that was in 2006, more than 10 years since I drove it home from the dealership.
The ABS is known to be a weak spot, I've replaced one wheel sensor, and I'm about to replace a second, about $150 from the Honda dealer, and 5 minutes to replace, very, very easy job.
Years ago, the ABS pump was leaking, and the Honda dealer was able to seal it for me, however, the seal does not always work, and a new pump (can't remember the actual name) is a $1000 piece (!).
I wouldn't let the ABS issues stop you, however, I drove the car just this past weekend, (my daughter drives it to school every day now) and I'm amazed at how well it drives for a car with 180k + miles.
As for the Toyota subject, yes they are excellent cars, my parent's are on their 2nd Camry, but they need maint. and work also.

Well, I'm going to pick the car up this afternoon. My first order of business will be to get the ABS sensor fixed, flush the radiator, check/clean the pcv and throttle body, and change the ps and brake fluid. A-Rx will be at the next OCI.

The current owner doesn't have the owners' manual, could someone run down the fluids that Honda recommends for this car: brake, ps, atf, coolant, etc? I'm assuming SynPower brake fluid will be fine, but does it take ps fluid or atf and are there options for atf or does it need to be the Honda fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back