92 Oldsmobile removing heater core...need advice.

Removing and replacing heater core on a 92 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme S, 3.1 engine, LHO VIN T. Down below in bold, and underlined is what I don't completely understand from the repair manual. "Disconnect the negative battery cable. Properly drain the engine coolant into a suitable container. Remove the upper weatherstrip from the body. Remove the upper secondary cowl. Remove the lower secondary cowl upper nut. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core."

IMG_2907.JPG

IMG_2908.JPG

Originally Posted by Chris142
The clamps for the hoses are behind that plastic grill?
No they are actually to the left and down of the master cylinder/brake booster and against the firewall. I have already removed both clamps and hoses to the heater core which was a super PITA. Had to use flexible hose clamp pliers to get them off. Just don't understand why I would need to remove trim and cowl. Anyway, I am going to go under the dash, and start removing the parts to get the heater core out.

Last edited:
OK I think I got it figured out with some help from the w-body.com forum. Under the cowl that has leaves in it is a fastener that needs to be removed, so the heater core will come out. At least I don't have to take the whole dash out!